• Announcements

• AutoShopOwner

Advertising & Promoting Your Company On AutoShopOwner - Information   02/25/2017

This message is only shown to FREE members and goes away after subscribing to a paid membership. If you are joining AutoShopOwner to promote your business, service, or product to this community of auto shop owners, please subscribe to a Sponsor Member Annual Package before doing so. With the correct membership, you will have the ability to post about your company in your posts and forum signature.

You can upgrade your existing membership here.

All marketing attempts to this community without proper membership level and/or approval by staff, will be considered spam, result in topic/post removal, and a warning, which can lead up to the banning of your membership, company and/or product on all pages of AutoShopOwner.

Thank you for your support.
Joe Marconi

2014: Time for Review, Time to Move Forward

2014: Time for Review, Time to Move Forward

It’s hard to believe that another year has passed. I guess my father was right when he said the older you get, the faster time goes by. If you haven’t done it already, you need to reflect on the past year. What were your accomplishments? Did you achieve your goals? Complete your review and plan to move forward.

Did you complete your2014 business plan? If you didn’t, you should do it ASAP. And it must be written down. A plan is not a plan unless is written down. If it’s in your head, it’s nothing more than a dream. It’s a known fact that those with clearly written goals and a clearly written plan are much more successful.

That’s does not mean you will always achieve those goals. But the odds are far greater when you have a plan and goals with deadlines. And please remember; a plan is a live document. You must review it often, tweak it as needed and modify it when needed. Please include life needs too, don’t make your plan all about business.

We all want to move forward in our life. But, just like taking a road trip, mapping out the way makes it a whole lot easier.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Stevens Automotive Service
      Really ! If you don't someone else will and your right, you won't see them again!
      Time and time again I hear in this site "They just want a discount" they are not the kind of customer we want !!
      I would suggest you change your mind set. Just because a customer has been programmed to seek discounts doesn't make them a bad customer. Every business offers some kind of marketing pitch that, in the customers eyes, is a discount.
      DEAL WITH IT !! And how YOU DEAL WITH IT can get you a lot of good repeat customers. Yes customers that trust you, spend money with you ,listen to you etc.
      You should ,or have a staff of advisers that should be able to overcome this and in the process gain a customer. 
      Your competition is changing rapidly in 2018 as small lube shop chains are starting to do brakes, tires, etc. That's right your gravy work, and that's just the beginning.
      There are a lot of changes getting ready to be rolled out in 2018. 
      Be innovative, smart and never judge a book by it's cover it could cost you more that ever. 
      How do you deal with that type of customer ? I hope in the future it is with doing smart business. 

• By Joe Marconi
      I’ll never forget the day when Mrs. Obrien brought her car back for me to look at.  She was furious. I stayed late the night before, well into the night, to finish her car so she could have it for work the next day.  I even did a few little things on the house because I felt she may be a little inconvenienced picking the car up so late.
      Why did she bring the car back?  A comeback?  Well, not in the conventional way. It was the greasy smudge on her seat that she was angry about.  
      But what about me staying late? Or giving away a few minor services? Doesn’t that count?  She is upset about a grease smudge? Oh yes, and she has every right to be.
      The fact is, you can do the best repair, using the best parts, performed by the best technician on the planet. But what the customer sees is not necessarily your hard work, it’s that little greasy smudge that you are judged by.  Unfortunate and unfair?  Yes. But it’s a reality.
      Perform the best repairs and provide world-class customer service; and never forget; it’s the little things the customer sees. And that’s what important to them.
      The 4th quarter is here. I am hoping you are having a good year. If your down on sales lets make this last stretch of this year a good one. Carry it into 2018.
      There are some shop owners in here doing 2M a year and my hat is off to them because, I know from experience what they had to go through to get there and it's not easy and there is no instant gratification, it is all hard work and making good business decisions, building a great reputation and relationships with there customers. This site is your group 20 ! 
      Just a suggestion but before you go spending money on marketing, mailers, etc that discounts service and bring in what everyone calls "the wrong breed of customer" , gets you a very low return on investment and so on. 
      Lets take a look at
      1) How many customers do you have to work with in a average month ? Do you have enough and are not getting the most out of them or do you need more of them? 
      2) Are you training your front counter to ask questions and become there friend and problem solver or are they scripted to say the same thing over and over . Advisors are not salespeople they are problem solvers ! When they solve the problem they will get the sale. I am not saying to leave things out when talking to the customer, just make it more personal. 
      3) Are you buying your parts right ??  From your oil to engines whatever you get are you buying wholesale? I am betting you could save a lot of money here. 
      4) Do you have techs that are doing a good job making money for them and you, it's a team effort always has been always will be. 
      Again this is intended for the small to medium shops to just take a look and see if you can gain with what you have.
      I see there is a lot of advice out here some good, and some not so good. Be smart, do you homework and be successful. 
      Good Luck, I am here to help.
      You are a entrepreneur and your business is Automotive Repair. Run your business like a business and become more profitable.
      You have a tool box just like your techs in the shop do and the ones with the correct tools , good work ethics and knowledge are the best at what they do. So can you in the shop management area just use your TOOL BOX!
      A few things to get cleared up. I have read a lot of post , forums etc, dealing with car count, advertising, us against the dealerships etc. WELL ! First you have to concentrate on your business not what someone else is doing, what works for you and makes you money should be what matters to you and your business.
      1) Concentrate on what your doing right if it needs refined ..REFINE IT.. DIAL IT IN... GET THE PERCENTAGES CORRECT. 
      2) Do you have enough work flow and are you getting the max out of what you already have ?
      3) IF you don't have a good even flow of car count, advertise, but do it in a way that it comes back to you to show what your business has to offer that the others don't.
      4) REPUTATION, CUSTOMER SERVICE, FIXING THE CONCERN and BEING A SMART BUSINESS OWNER are the only steps to winning.
      5) Last but not least .. PEOPLE BUY GOODS AND SERVICES FROM PEOPLE PERIOD !!
      Look at it in this perspective for a moment. Your advisors are problem solvers, customer comes in with a problem or just for a service and they let them know what it will take to repair it or what the car may be in need of if not now then soon. They are solving problems if not right now then later, building trust and reputation for your business. I always say if you solve there problem the rest SELLS itself. And for those of you that think and have been programmed to think that getting new customers, keeping the good ones you have to spend crazy money to get them and keep them is just that "crazy".
      I will be glad to speak with anyone that wants to have less stress and make there shop profitable. Send me a message, email, phone call and we will go over what you have and what you are wanting to achieve and the consultation is always free. IT COST NOTHING TO ASK BUT IT COULD COST A LOT IF YOU DON'T !!
      "LOAD YOUR TOOL BOX WITH THE RIGHT TOOLS"