Quantcast

How did yall go about writing your business plan? What did you include? Found a sample plan online but dont know if this is a good example of what I should create.

http://www.bplans.com/auto_repair_shop_business_plan/financial_plan_fc.php#7.1_Break-even_Analysis

It doesnt exactly look right. For example it shows year 1 sales of $178,800 and direct cost of sales being 10% of that at $17,880. Direct cost of sales would be parts cost wouldn't it? Granted whoever wrote this probly doesnt understand the auto repair business so that is understandable that it wouldnt look right.

What I was thinking is parts cost would be about 45% of labor. Does that sound right for making my business plan

Then under expenses it shows Deppreciation, EBITDA (whatever that is), interest expense, and taxes incurred

What I have is

Payroll

mortgage/rent

utilities

Ondemand/identifix

insurance

payroll taxes

equipment payment

advertising

uniforms

safety kleen

I have my breakeven about $155k in gross profit(after parts bill), or about $3000/wk. May be a little low, I am probably leaving something out.

I realize a business plan is more than just a sales and expenses projection, so any advice is appreciated.

Edited by Superman

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Joe Marconi
      The days of cars breaking down and lining up in front of your bays on a daily basis are long gone. Today, we need to be proactive. Now I know many of you are having a great summer in terms of sales, but don't rely on this to keep you going the rest of the year.

Here's a tip to keep in mind: Every car in your shop today will need a future service and/or repair in the future. The question is, "Will the customer go back to you?"

Here's what you do: Make it a practice that you inform all customers in for service today of their next service and/or any future repair they may need. Let them know you will add their vehicle to your calendar and send them a card/email as a reminder. But here's the deal-sealer. Let them know you will call them also when the vehicle is due.

Afraid that customers might see this as too pushy? Don't be. If done properly and if you convey that what you are recommending is in their best interest, they will listen.

Will every customer return? No. But how many will if you leave it to chance?
    • By Joe Marconi
      If you have a repair shop business in New York State that you are looking to sell, please let me know.   I will keep this strictly confidential.  Criteria required, shops with 6 plus bays. Other details to be explained.  Please email me: [email protected]

• By Dakotaj96
      Hello Everyone,
      I am opening up a new shop from scratch. Its a larger shop (8 bays, 5 lifts, tire machine/balancer, alignment machine, etc.) I know this is a very poor question but how many techs should I have opening day? What I mean by this is I don't want to hire 2 guys and have to lay them off the 2nd week because we don't have business yet or have to turn away 50% of my work because we are busy and only have 2 guys. Any good solutions you guys could think of the help combat this issue? Thank You 
    • By Joe Marconi
      After 39 years in business, it's time to get serious about my exit plan. While I don't think I will ever truly retire, I do think it's time to plan the next chapter in my life.  I would  like to hear from shop owners out there in the same  situation.  What are your plans?  Are you selling your repair shop?  Do you have a succession plan?  And are you thinking about a different line of work to keep you busy?

• By Jay Huh
      Saw a Tesla the other day at the mall with it completely stripped down.
      Has tires with tie rods connected to the steering column and a self contained motor at the rear.

No oil, no spark plugs, no moving components.... everything electronic.... NOTHING to replace but tires and possibly brakes every 100,000 miles.

Is this the future? How long, in 20 years? 15 years? I'm 30 and I think I will be good by the time I retire but a completely different story for the next generation. Gotta think too, as we start transitioning over, there will be less and less work for the numerous number of automotive shops out there. Just in my shopping center alone, there are 5 major shops and 1 more across the street. In our 5 mile radius, there has got to be more than 20
  • AutoShopOwner Sponsors