Quantcast

Guest omiyasports

New Business Owner , Need Marketing Help And Advise

Guest omiyasports

Hi all,

My name is Phil and i am 25 years old. I started the mechanic shop in Cary NC . I took over as a running business next to a used car lot with app. 150 cars.

We have about 60% of the business from them. My shop has 10 bays with 8 lifts and a back area can store another 5 cars.

We have 5,6 shops around us , and few tires and body shop around us. Most of the people did not recognize us and think that we are part of the dealership or the mechanic shop next to us. I finally got permit to put up wall sign and light box by the street. In this 6 months of ownership, have 5 mechanics come and go. Finally I hired a L1 tech i can trust and we can break even in May. Right now, i have 1 manager , 2 mechanics in the back. I recently bought an alignment machine and tire machines. My plan is the expand the business with enough of fleet works and street customers and get 1 or 2 more mechanics to utilize the shop.

Being an Asian, i try to focus on this group of people. We have approximately 20,000 people in this area and most of them has the language barrier and willing to find a trust worthy shop for repairing. I am gonna advertise on local newspaper and business to get our name our there.

I want to specialize in Japaneses and general repair for all models.

My manager will be focusing on fleet service. I joined the chamber of commerce months ago and i am researching the potential business ,such as construction and plumbing company, to see if they have fleet vehicles for us to work on.

This first 6 months in to business is really hard for me and i am frustrated all the time. i really need some advise to keep us running. Please let me know if i am doing it right or wrong and tell me what i should do next.

I graduated with a mechanical engineering degree in 2011. I am always want to work with cars and i decided to start up my own business in the beginning of the year. At first my parents is not supporting me, and think that i should get a job. but now they seems changing their mind as my passion in it and my hard working. I hope my dream will come true and my parents can retire soon.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By insomniac
      Iv noticed over the years there are times when business/car count drops off by a huge amount all at once. Last year it was brutal in January and got worse in February. It got busier the 2nd week of March and was pretty steady the rest of the year with my best month ever in November then even topped that in December. But this year its back to the same. January came leads completely dropped out, February came and it got worse, just like last year. Now I know its just a waiting game and business will pick back up. Its not just me every shop in the area is completely empty. --- What triggers these pattern down turns? Has anyone ever figured that out? Thought?
    • By Nevil Jay
      Hi, 
      I'm currently looking into a business acquisition. It's a wheel repair shop based in South California. I have questions in terms of profitability and also, the expenses involved within the business. 

I have profit and loss statements of the business. They currently operate 24/7 and have 30-35 employees. I am looking for someone who has experience in this sector that may be able to give me some unbiased advice. I also wanted to somehow come up with a valuation of the business. It operates out of a leased building, but consistently profits the owner a large amount of money. Who should I look for to verify these numbers? Will any CPA be able to understand?

Thanks in advance, 
      Nevil 
    • By Joe Marconi
      If you have a repair shop business in New York State that you are looking to sell, please let me know.   I will keep this strictly confidential.  Criteria required, shops with 6 plus bays. Other details to be explained.  Please email me: [email protected]

• By Dakotaj96
      Hello Everyone,
      I am opening up a new shop from scratch. Its a larger shop (8 bays, 5 lifts, tire machine/balancer, alignment machine, etc.) I know this is a very poor question but how many techs should I have opening day? What I mean by this is I don't want to hire 2 guys and have to lay them off the 2nd week because we don't have business yet or have to turn away 50% of my work because we are busy and only have 2 guys. Any good solutions you guys could think of the help combat this issue? Thank You 
    • By Mail Shark
      There’s an old adage in marketing: “features tell and benefits sell.” This is critical to keep in mind when you’re promoting your auto repair shop. If your prospective customers don’t understand the features your shop offers, how they’ll benefit from these features, and why they should consider your shop for their next repair or maintenance service, you may lose them to your competition.
      The main constraint you’ll encounter when emphasizing benefits on your direct mail is usually space. There are a lot of important elements an effective direct mail advertisement should contain, all of which are fighting for valuable space. Furthermore, putting too much information on an ad can make it cluttered and hard to read, which could diminish your return. A great solution to this problem is to provide a clear, concise, and organized list of your shop’s features that can easily be scanned by your prospects.
      Depending on the available space, there are two ways you can do this. If you have limited space, you can simply list your benefits out in a bulleted list. If you have extra space, you can list them out in conjunction with an icon to help illustrate the benefit and call additional attention to them.
      Here’s a starting point to help you develop and build a list of your shop’s features and benefits.
      Quality
      -Are your technicians ASE certified?
      -Do you offer a warranty on your work?
      -Do you offer a 100% customer satisfaction guarantee?
      Affordability
      -Do you offer any financing options?
      Comfort
      -Do you offer any amenities in your waiting room?
      Convenience
      -Do you offer any type of shuttle service or loaner car service?
      -Do you offer same day service on most repairs?
      -Do you offer early drop-off and/or after-hours pick-up?
      -Do you offer roadside assistance?
      -Do you offer online appointment scheduling?
      Trust
      -Are all repairs approved by your customer before any work is done?

Pro Tip: Make sure you give your list of benefits a header. Something like: “Why Choose XYZ Auto” or “Our Benefits For You.” or “10 Reasons to Choose XYZ”

Josh Davis
      Mail Shark
      Executive Vice President of Sales
      Direct: 484-948-1611
      Email: [email protected]
      www.themailshark.com/Auto-Direct-Mail
  • AutoShopOwner Sponsors