Quantcast

Joe Marconi

Do You Know When You Are Making Money?

Do You Know When You Are Making Money?

Way back in the 1980s, shops enjoyed a steady flow of broken cars. GM, Ford and Chrysler dominated the roadways and there was a lot of repair work. But, like many shop owners, I was a much better mechanic than I was a business owner. I never really knew the true costs of running my business. I was busy, but not very profitable. I survived, but never really thrived. And, there was never any money left over for my future.

Even as I began to understand how to break down a job and look at labor and part margins, I still did not see the big picture. It wasn’t until I physically looked at all my expenses, what I needed to live on, understand money was needed to grow the business and calculate future needs, that I truly understood how much I needed to make to generate true profit.

Many shop owners calculate breakeven, but still are short on cash flow. This ends up with a lot of frustration and confusion. Calculating breakeven should be more that merely paying your bills. It should allow enough for company growth, adding money to your retirement account, putting away money for your kid’s education and setting up a cushion for unexpected expenses. You should also factor in your return on investment. That’s right, your R.O.I. Why else are you in business?

Unless you have multiple income streams, your business is your sole source of income, which means your life, now and into the future, is dependent upon what you earn, which means: Do you truly know how much profit dollars are needed from your business?

Many of us have been in survival mode the past few years. And thinking down the road is not at the top of the list. But, history has shown that economics are cyclical and we need to prepare now for our future.

Take the time to go through all your accounts and start building your breakeven and future planning analysis. Start by calculating all you fixed expenses, variable expenses and allow for unexpected one-time expenses. Add into that report all the future expenses you will need; retirement, R.O.I., kids’ education, that boat you want to buy, etc.

When you truly know what profit you need, you can begin to work on your business to achieve your goals. If you don’t know, you will always be wondering, “Why don’t I ever have enough money left over?”

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• By Ron Ipach
      December spells the end of 2018, and hopefully you're wrapping up what was a fantastic year for your auto repair shop and business.
      Now… it’s time to start thinking about how to make 2019 an EVEN BETTER year. (Heck, let’s go ahead and plan on making it your best year ever! Right?)
      By attending for this special Live Online Webinar, you're going to get the proven 4-step process that will practically GUARANTEE 2019 to be a blow-out success for you.
      With these four steps, you’ll be able to…
      👉 ==> DOUBLE your take-home pay (Yes, that’s not a misprint. I’ll show you how.)
      👉 ==> Magnetically attract more (and even better!) customers to your shop
      👉 ==>  Easily sell your services at higher prices than your competitors
      👉 ==>  Find, hire, and keep that elusive tech you’ve been searching for
      👉 ==>  Put the fun back into running your shop!
      If you're interested... there is absolutely ZERO cost to attend this training.
      All you'll need is 45 minutes of your day set aside in order to watch this webinar live.
      For the dates, times, and registration details,  CLICK HERE

• By Ron Ipach
      If you are currently texting your clients and are using one of those potentially expensive services that charge a pretty decent monthly fee, and then in some cases, up to an additional dollar per text to send automated and group texts to your clients, you'll probably want to check out a service that I've been recommending to my clients for several years - and it's totally FREE for your first 250 texts, then only .05 cents for each text after that.
      https://www.eztexting.com/
      Sure, it doesn't have a direct link to your client list, requiring you to export/import your mobile numbers into their system (a 10-minute process) - but once your client's mobile numbers are uploaded into EZtexting you can pre-schedule your individual and group texts to go out whenever you wish.
      Happy texting!
    • By rmiller
      If you struggle to know what to do with your shop’s negative reviews, then you don’t want to miss this
      RepairPal Modern Shop Owner Webinar with Mike Carrillo of AutoShopFollowUp and Jill Trotta of RepairPal.

They'll explain exactly how to reply to negative reviews and get your ratings back on track.

Bonus: Share one of your shop’s negative reviews during the webinar and get Mike’s help in responding—on the spot!

In this 1-hour webinar class, you’ll discover:

* 5 components of a successful reply to a negative review (steal this formula)

* Examples of replies that worked—and a few that didn’t (real-life scenarios to guide you)

* How to craft a reply to an actual negative review for your shop (get Mike’s help during the webinar)

Join us for this 1-hour training and be prepared to respond to any unhappy customer in a reputation-saving way.

Negative reviews happen to even the best shops, so don’t let them get you (or your sales) down. 

You don't want to miss it!  Sign up today

Webinar: Negative Reviews: Making them work for you, not against you.

Date: July 13, 2017

Time: 1pm Pacific, 2pm Mountain, 3pm Central, 4 pm Eastern

There is no cost to attend, but you do need to register to gain access.  
      Can't attend? Register anyway and we'll send you the recording!
    • By rmiller
      If you struggle to know what to do with your shop’s negative reviews, then you don’t want to miss this
      RepairPal Modern Shop Owner Webinar with Mike Carrillo of AutoShopFollowUp and Jill Trotta of RepairPal.

They'll explain exactly how to reply to negative reviews and get your ratings back on track.

Bonus: Share one of your shop’s negative reviews during the webinar and get Mike’s help in responding—on the spot!

In this 1-hour webinar class, you’ll discover:

* 5 components of a successful reply to a negative review (steal this formula)

* Examples of replies that worked—and a few that didn’t (real-life scenarios to guide you)

* How to craft a reply to an actual negative review for your shop (get Mike’s help during the webinar)

Join us for this 1-hour training and be prepared to respond to any unhappy customer in a reputation-saving way.

Negative reviews happen to even the best shops, so don’t let them get you (or your sales) down. 

You don't want to miss it!  Sign up today

Webinar: Negative Reviews: Making them work for you, not against you.

Date: July 13, 2017

Time: 1pm Pacific, 2pm Mountain, 3pm Central, 4 pm Eastern

There is no cost to attend, but you do need to register to gain access.  
      Can't attend? Register anyway and we'll send you the recording!
    • By Ron Ipach
      Free Report:
      Everyone knows how expensive advertising the repair shop can seem at times. So much so that many auto repair shop owners are hesitant to even begin to construct an auto repair marketing game plan. 
      Because of this, in a file attached, we dug a little deep to provide you with 10 absolutely free ways to market your automotive business in order to boost the car count in your shops. 
      Check out these 10 Strategies to Increase Your Car Count Without Spending Any Money (file attached)
      Enjoy.
      - Captain Car Count 😃

P.S. For more free daily content please subscribe here: http://www.carcountdaily.com
      Free Report.compressed.pdf
  • AutoShopOwner Sponsors