Quantcast

Local Valvoline Not That Busy

Go to solution Solved by CARMandP,

• Solution

Our local Valvoline is normally slow. I find it interesting that I see the guys out front swinging the no wait signs pretty often. Our local quick lube was owned my a local business man for a long time and the service he offered was amazing. Since "corporate" Valvoline bought the location and had started running it, I have gained a lot of oil change customers that do not like the change at all. They say the prices are higher and the service not up to what they are expecting. Good for us :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Things are just as spotty here in the Puget Sound area. I was talking to one of the kids who works at a Jiffy Lube and he said average car count per day was 12. Considering what is offered; saving time, one would think the car count to be much higher.

• 1 year later...

It may be "fast food" type burn out. Olive Garden now has an $8.00 lunch menu, and its easy to spend that at Mickey D's or B.K. Where are you going for lunch? There is a lesson in this for great independent shops everywhere.

I like to think that the repair shops are doing a better job sending oil change reminder emails and post cards. At my shop we take the date and mileage of every car's windshield sticker. We then send an oil change reminder along with a coupon 3 weeks before the oil change is due and again 1 week before. We do the same for the state inspection.

• Like 2

Clown suits, ape suits and anything else they can think of to attract attention. The local Pro Oil Change location has added tire changing and storage to their menu as well. Lots of upselling with wallet flushing on special every day.

Gary

It's all about convenience and customer service. Our independents shops can do both, and usually a lot cheaper. It seems to me people are looking for the full service shops more. I see that they are sick and tired of dealing with multiple service shops, and just want to find one that does it all.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Have you checked out Joe's Latest Blog?

3 comments
      Got your attention? Good. The truth is, there is no such thing as the perfect technician pay plan. There are countless ways to create any pay plan. I’ve heard all the claims and opinions, and to be honest, it’s getting a little frustrating. Claims that an hourly paid pay plan cannot motivate. That flat rate is the only way to truly get the most production from your technicians. And then there’s the hybrid performance-based pay plan that many claim is the best.
      At a recent industry event, a shop owner from the Midwest boasted about his flat-rate techs and insisted that this pay plan should be adopted by all shops across the country. When I informed him that in states like New York, you cannot pay flat-rate, he was shocked. “Then how do you motivate your techs” he asked me.
      I remember the day in 1986 when I hired the best technician who ever worked for me in my 41 years as an automotive shop owner. We’ll call him Hal. When Hal reviewed my pay plan for him, and the incentive bonus document, he stared at it for a minute, looked up, and said, “Joe, this looks good, but here’s what I want.” He then wrote on top of the document the weekly salary he wanted. It was a BIG number. He went on to say, “Joe, I need to take home a certain amount of money. I have a home, a wife, two kids, and my Harly Davidson. I will work hard and produce for you. I don’t need an incentive bonus to do my work.” And he did, for the next 30 years, until the day he retired.
      Everyone is entitled to their opinion. So, here’s mine. Money is a motivator, but not the only motivator, and not the best motivator either. We have all heard this scenario, “She quit ABC Auto Center, to get a job at XYZ Auto Repair, and she’s making less money now at XYZ!” We all know that people don’t leave companies, they leave the people they work for or work with.
      With all this said, I do believe that an incentive-based pay plan can work. However, I also believe that a technician must be paid a very good base wage that is commensurate with their ability, experience, and certifications. I also believe that in addition to money, there needs to be a great benefits package. But the icing on the cake in any pay plan is the culture, mission, and vision of the company, which takes strong leadership. And let’s not forget that motivation also comes from praise, recognition, respect, and when technicians know that their work matters.
      Rather than looking for that elusive perfect pay plan, sit down with your technician. Find out what motivates them. What their goals are. Why do they get out of bed in the morning? When you tie their goals with your goals, you will have one powerful pay plan.