Quantcast

Success; You think it’s Luck?

Joe Marconi

It's not luck its opportunity. Everyone has an opportunity to try something or invent something. Pushing yourself beyond the so called comfort zone is what makes the Bill Gates of the world. He had the opportunity to try an idea, an idea that made him a millionaire. It wasn't luck at all. Lucky, is winning the lottery... what to do with the opportunity you've been given after you won... well... that might take a bit of luck if you're not willing to think outside the box or out of your comfort zone.

Nice read... enjoyed it.

In the worlds eye Bill Gates, Donald Trump and Us all live on the same block. A single life makes a Huge difference. How many "BILL GATES OR MOTHER TERESA'S HAVE BEEN ABORTED! Like in It's a wonderful Life movie if it were not for one life we all would live in Pottersville.

B)

Edited by FROGFINDER

Sounds like this verse from the bible

Matthew 25:14-29 NIV

"Again, it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted his wealth to them. To one he gave five bags of gold, to another two bags, and to another one bag, each according to his ability. Then he went on his journey. The man who had received five bags of gold went at once and put his money to work and gained five bags more. So also, the one with two bags of gold gained two more. But the man who had received one bag went off, dug a hole in the ground and hid his master's money. "After a long time the master of those servants returned and settled accounts with them. The man who had received five bags of gold brought the other five. 'Master,' he said, 'you entrusted me with five bags of gold. See, I have gained five more.' "His master replied, 'Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!' "The man with two bags of gold also came. 'Master,' he said, 'you entrusted me with two bags of gold; see, I have gained two more.' "His master replied, 'Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!' "Then the man who had received one bag of gold came. 'Master,' he said, 'I knew that you are a hard man, harvesting where you have not sown and gathering where you have not scattered seed. So I was afraid and went out and hid your gold in the ground. See, here is what belongs to you.' "His master replied, 'You wicked, lazy servant! So you knew that I harvest where I have not sown and gather where I have not scattered seed? Well then, you should have put my money on deposit with the bankers, so that when I returned I would have received it back with interest. "'So take the bag of gold from him and give it to the one who has ten bags. For whoever has will be given more, and they will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what they have will be taken from them.

Gonzo is correct its the mitigation of risk the higher the risk the higher reward planning, learning, growing so you have the means to tackle that opportunity when it presents itself... that is the path to success, persistence... Edison invented 1001 ways not to make a light bulb.. and one way to make it last... think about it...

Carl

• Have you checked out Joe's Latest Blog?

3 comments
      Got your attention? Good. The truth is, there is no such thing as the perfect technician pay plan. There are countless ways to create any pay plan. I’ve heard all the claims and opinions, and to be honest, it’s getting a little frustrating. Claims that an hourly paid pay plan cannot motivate. That flat rate is the only way to truly get the most production from your technicians. And then there’s the hybrid performance-based pay plan that many claim is the best.
      At a recent industry event, a shop owner from the Midwest boasted about his flat-rate techs and insisted that this pay plan should be adopted by all shops across the country. When I informed him that in states like New York, you cannot pay flat-rate, he was shocked. “Then how do you motivate your techs” he asked me.
      I remember the day in 1986 when I hired the best technician who ever worked for me in my 41 years as an automotive shop owner. We’ll call him Hal. When Hal reviewed my pay plan for him, and the incentive bonus document, he stared at it for a minute, looked up, and said, “Joe, this looks good, but here’s what I want.” He then wrote on top of the document the weekly salary he wanted. It was a BIG number. He went on to say, “Joe, I need to take home a certain amount of money. I have a home, a wife, two kids, and my Harly Davidson. I will work hard and produce for you. I don’t need an incentive bonus to do my work.” And he did, for the next 30 years, until the day he retired.
      Everyone is entitled to their opinion. So, here’s mine. Money is a motivator, but not the only motivator, and not the best motivator either. We have all heard this scenario, “She quit ABC Auto Center, to get a job at XYZ Auto Repair, and she’s making less money now at XYZ!” We all know that people don’t leave companies, they leave the people they work for or work with.
      With all this said, I do believe that an incentive-based pay plan can work. However, I also believe that a technician must be paid a very good base wage that is commensurate with their ability, experience, and certifications. I also believe that in addition to money, there needs to be a great benefits package. But the icing on the cake in any pay plan is the culture, mission, and vision of the company, which takes strong leadership. And let’s not forget that motivation also comes from praise, recognition, respect, and when technicians know that their work matters.
      Rather than looking for that elusive perfect pay plan, sit down with your technician. Find out what motivates them. What their goals are. Why do they get out of bed in the morning? When you tie their goals with your goals, you will have one powerful pay plan.
  • Similar Topics

• By carmcapriotto
      Culture, Leadership, and Growth: This episode isn't just about the nuts and bolts. It's about the heart and soul of business—people, leadership, and culture. Shari Pheasant and Kenny Wedow don't just share their successes; they get real about the struggles, too. They've both seen firsthand how the right climate can turbocharge a team's performance and drive success. Shari Pheasant, Horse Power Strategies. Shari’s previous episodes HERE  Kenny Wedow, Fine Tuned Auto, 4 locations, Colorado. Kenny’s other episodes HERE Show Notes: Watch Full Video Episode Kenny Wedow's Business Growth (00:02:17) Kenny Wedow shares his experience of growing his business from a single store to four locations. The Gift of Struggle (00:02:41) Discussion of the book "The Gift of Struggle" by Bobby Herrera and the definition of struggle. Kenny's Business Struggles (00:03:47) Kenny discusses the challenges he faced in the early stages of his business and his determination to overcome them. People First Philosophy (00:04:34) Shari emphasizes the importance of focusing on people and teamwork in overcoming challenges and driving business success. Leadership and Culture (00:05:43) Shari discusses the significance of leadership and culture in driving business growth and success. Reflecting on Mistakes (00:06:29) Shari emphasizes the importance of learning from mistakes and using scientific data to understand human behavior. Changing Company Culture (00:07:56) Kenny talks about making significant changes to the company culture and the impact it had on business growth. Leadership and Climate (00:09:49) Discussion about the difference between culture and climate in a business and the importance of aligning them. Hiring and Culture (00:11:45) Kenny shares the impact of hiring the right people on the business and the importance of cultural fit in interviews. Money and Energy (00:15:14) Shari discusses the concept of money as energy and its impact on financial situations and business decisions. Pivoting and Adapting to Change (00:17:21) The importance of being open to change and pivoting quickly in business. Leadership and Making Mistakes (00:19:55) Shari and Kenny share their experiences with making mistakes and the importance of admitting and learning from them. Employee Engagement and Company Growth (00:20:43) Kenny talks about engaging employees and investing in company-wide training to drive growth and success. Overcoming Struggles and Embracing Change (00:21:36) Overcoming struggles and the importance of embracing change to drive business success. Learning from Mistakes and Taking Risks (00:25:15) Kenny shares his experience of learning from mistakes and taking risks to drive business growth. Embracing Failure and Moving Forward (00:28:09) Shari shares a story of failure and how it ultimately led to greater success, emphasizing the importance of pivoting and moving forward.
      Thanks to our Partner, NAPA TRACS NAPA TRACS will move your shop into the SMS fast lane with onsite training and six days a week of support and local representation. Find NAPA TRACS on the Web at http://napatracs.com/ Connect with the Podcast -Follow on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RemarkableResultsRadioPodcast/ -Join Our Private Facebook Community: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1734687266778976 -Subscribe on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/carmcapriotto -Follow on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/carmcapriotto/ -Follow on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/remarkableresultsradiopodcast/ -Follow on Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/RResultsBiz -Join our Insider List: https://remarkableresults.biz/insider -All books mentioned on our podcasts: https://remarkableresults.biz/books -Our Classroom page for personal or team learning: https://remarkableresults.biz/classroom -Buy Me a Coffee: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/carm -The Aftermarket Radio Network: https://aftermarketradionetwork.com -Special episode collections: https://remarkableresults.biz/collections        
      Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By carmcapriotto
      In this episode, Kim reviews the book “Unreasonable Hospitality” and talks about ways you can become so good at customer service and making your customers feel special, that the world would consider it unreasonable. This has quickly become one of Kim’s favorite books. Listen in to learn why and to get some ideas on how you can provide unreasonable hospitality to your clients in your auto repair shop.
      Thank you to RepairPal for sponsoring The Auto Repair Marketing Podcast. Learn more about RepairPal at https://repairpal.com/shops
      How To Get In Touch
      Group - Auto Repair Marketing Mastermind
      Website - shopmarketingpros.com 
      Facebook - facebook.com/shopmarketingpros 
      Get the Book - shopmarketingpros.com/book
      Instagram - @shopmarketingpros 
      Questions/Ideas - [email protected]
    • By carmcapriotto
      The Weekly Blitz is brought to you by our friends over at Shop Marketing Pros. If you want to take your shop to the next level, you need great marketing. Shop Marketing Pros does top-tier marketing for top-tier shops.
      Click here to learn more about Top Tier Marketing by Shop Marketing Pros and schedule a demo:https://shopmarketingpros.com/chris/
      Check out their podcast here: https://autorepairmarketing.captivate.fm/
      If you would like to join their private Facebook group go here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/autorepairmarketingmastermind
      In this podcast episode, Coach Chris Cotton from Auto Fix Auto Shop Coaching highlights the significance of always saying yes to customers in the auto repair industry. He recounts two examples where service advisors faced challenges in agreeing to customer requests. Cotton stresses the importance of customer satisfaction and the delicate balance of agreeing to customer demands without making unrealistic promises.
      Saying Yes to Customers (00:02:36) Importance of prioritizing customer satisfaction and finding ways to say yes instead of no.
      Handling Customer Requests (00:03:45) Addressing an instance where a service advisor struggled to manage customer expectations and deliver on promises.
      Customer Service Skills (00:05:54) Emphasizing the need to take care of the customer, manage expectations, and avoid overpromising while saying yes.
      Saying Yes and Managing Expectations (00:10:11) Discussing the importance of saying yes to customers while managing expectations and not overpromising.
      1. Importance of not saying no to customers in the auto repair business
      2. Instances of a service advisor struggling to say yes to customers
      3. Emphasizing the need to prioritize customer satisfaction
      4.Managing expectations while saying yes to customers
      5.Not overpromising to customers
      Quotes:
      Coach Chris Cotton', '00:06:54', "How would you like it if you were leaving town in 24 hours and somebody said, 'Oh, you can't take your car because we can't finish it up'? It's just not the right place to be in."
      'Coach Chris Cotton', '00:09:14', "The customer doesn't care about any of that; the customer just wants to know if you can help them or not."
      'Coach Chris Cotton', '00:12:16', "If they're in front of you unexpectedly, say yes, smile, and be like, 'Oh, I'm so glad, Mrs. Johnson, that you're here today. I haven't seen you in a while. Absolutely, we'll take care of your crisis for you.'"

Connect with Chris:

[email protected]
      Phone: 940.400.1008
      www.autoshopcoaching.com
      Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/
      AutoFixAutoShopCoachingYoutube: https://bit.ly/3ClX0ae

#autofixautoshopcoaching #autofixbeautofixing #autoshopprofits #autoshopprofit #autoshopprofitsfirst #autoshopleadership #autoshopmanagement #autorepairshopcoaching #autorepairshopconsulting #autorepairshoptraining #autorepairshop #autorepair #serviceadvisor #serviceadvisorefficiency #autorepairshopmarketing #theweeklyblitz #autofix #shopmarketingpros #autofixautoshopcoachingbook
    • By carmcapriotto
      Thanks to our Partner, NAPA Autotech napaautotech.com
      Matt Fanslow and Tanner Brandt discuss the nuances of automotive training and education. They emphasize the importance of selecting relevant classes that address specific areas of struggle within the industry, such as diagnosing parasitic battery drains. They highlight the complexities of troubleshooting and the limitations of current diagnostic tools, underscoring the need for better vehicle monitoring. The conversation also touches on the importance of networking and knowledge sharing, as well as the value of stepping out of one's comfort zone to explore new areas of learning at training events.
      Importance of selecting classes and getting the most out of training events in the automotive industry Choosing classes based on areas of struggle and seeking advice from experienced instructors Different phases of attending training events Value of soft skills and communication courses in the automotive industry Impact of quality training programs offered by NAPA Importance of ongoing training to keep up with evolving vehicle technology Importance of specialized training, particularly in the area of electric vehicles (EVs) Value of specialty classes focused on specific vehicle brands Importance of networking and staying engaged during training events Challenges faced in diagnosing automotive issues, particularly related to parasitic battery drains  
      Thanks to our Partner, NAPA Autotech napaautotech.com

Email Matt: [email protected]
      Diagnosing the Aftermarket A - Z YouTube Channel HERE
      Aftermarket Radio Network: https://aftermarketradionetwork.com/
    • By carmcapriotto
      "Individuals who have made outstanding career contributions to the mobile A/C and heat transfer industry are recognized for their work with the Mobile Air Climate Systems Pioneer Award." Recorded Live at the 2024 MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems) Training Event & Trade Show, Carm Capriotto discusses the automotive air conditioning industry with Peter Coll and Pioneer Award Winners Larry Hays, and Tom Massey. They explore the evolution of air conditioning systems, the importance of collaboration, and the role of MACS in advancing the industry. Larry Hays' career in automotive service began in high school when his shop teacher got him a job at an independent garage. Shortly thereafter, and while still in high school, Larry took a work/study job starting at 80 cent an hour and stayed there for 5 years before moving to Dallas Smith Transport. There he got his first taste of the A/C life learning to install factory A/C in a 1962 Buick and rebuild A6 compressors at the GM Training center in El Paso, TX. After three years, Larry found his forever home at Tony M. Coury Buick in Mesa, AZ where he would go on to spend the next 40 years. In 1966 Harrison Radiator introduced their own automatic A/C system and often visited Larry from the GM Proving ground due to his close proximity.  The visits led to friendships, networking and, eventually an introduction to the likes of Paul Weissler, Jim Resutek, Ward Atkinson, and many others. In 1976, Tom Massey, an ASE certified Master Technician, started his own shop in Sioux Falls, SD. Doing A/C in South Dakota in the 1980’s, Tom was frustrated because the one fitting that was needed for the job was not available locally so, Tom started stocking A/C fittings, A/C units and other parts to be available on demand. When other shops found out that he had inventory, the business progressed to add wholesale parts & distribution. He was a distributor for ARA, AIR & later for the company that became Global Parts Distributors. Tom’s passion for A/C drew him to heat of Las Vegas in 1993 when he started Auto Air & More Inc. selling A/C parts to consumers, fleets, dealerships, and competitors as well as servicing vehicles. Show Notes: Pioneer award winners and their contributions (00:01:00) Recognition of industry pioneers and their significant contributions, including the first board member who was a technician. Challenges in automotive air conditioning systems (00:03:49) Discussion about the challenges and innovations in air conditioning systems, particularly in the context of specialized vehicles like limousines. Impact of temperature on air conditioning systems (00:06:35) Explanation of the impact of high temperatures on air conditioning systems, including the need for specialized designs and heat exchange. Differences in customer expectations between dealerships and independent shops (00:08:27) Comparison of customer expectations and concerns between dealership and independent shop environments. Effect of climate on air conditioning systems (00:09:21) Discussion about the influence of climate, particularly humidity, on the functioning of air conditioning systems. Collaboration between manufacturers and technicians (00:12:00) Importance of collaboration between manufacturers and technicians in diagnosing and addressing technical issues in air conditioning systems. Role of MACS in industry collaboration (00:15:04) The significance of MACS in providing a platform for industry professionals to engage with manufacturers and address technical challenges. The history of automotive air conditioning (00:16:56) Discusses the early development of automotive air conditioning systems and the valuable feedback provided by technicians. Collaboration and learning at MACS (00:17:34) Highlights the importance of collaboration between manufacturers and technicians at MACS and the exchange of knowledge between different automotive brands. Shop management systems (00:18:10) Emphasizes the importance of selecting the right shop management system and the benefits of customization and support. Comparing equipment and industry expansion (00:19:21) Discusses the comparison of different equipment, the entry of new suppliers into the US market, and the perspective gained from evaluating different machines. Challenges of retrofitting air conditioning systems (00:22:54) Addresses the challenges and potential issues associated with retrofitting air conditioning systems. Testing and innovations at GM proving ground (00:26:07) Describes the testing procedures and innovations at the General Motors proving ground. Industry relationships and contributions (00:28:43) Explores the relationships and contributions of industry figures, including the impact of technical bulletins and the role of influential individuals in the automotive industry. Innovations and intellectual property (00:30:19) Discusses the development and sharing of innovative tools and the challenges of patenting and profiting from inventions. Supplier relationships and cost savings (00:33:02) Addresses the exchange of information and prototypes with suppliers and the challenges of providing valuable input without significant compensation. Innovative Ideas for Tools (00:35:11) Exploration of the search for innovative tools in the industry and the rarity of finding them. Early Air Conditioning Systems (00:35:23) Anecdotes about early air conditioning systems in vintage cars, including unique features and challenges. Friendship and Collaboration (00:36:42) Stories of friendship and collaboration within the air conditioning industry, emphasizing the importance of knowledge sharing. Respect for Industry Professionals (00:38:13) Reflections on the respect and admiration for industry professionals, highlighting the impact of their expertise. Challenges in the Industry (00:40:32) Discussion on the challenges and limited number of specialists in the air conditioning industry. Parts Distribution and Inventory (00:43:38) Insights into the evolution of parts distribution and inventory management in the air conditioning industry. Business Transition and Negotiation (00:45:39) Brief discussion about the possibility of business transition and negotiation in the industry.
      Thanks to our Partner, NAPA TRACS NAPA TRACS will move your shop into the SMS fast lane with onsite training and six days a week of support and local representation. Find NAPA TRACS on the Web at http://napatracs.com/ Connect with the Podcast -Follow on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RemarkableResultsRadioPodcast/ -Join Our Private Facebook Community: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1734687266778976 -Subscribe on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/carmcapriotto -Follow on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/carmcapriotto/ -Follow on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/remarkableresultsradiopodcast/ -Follow on Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/RResultsBiz -Join our Insider List: https://remarkableresults.biz/insider -All books mentioned on our podcasts: https://remarkableresults.biz/books -Our Classroom page for personal or team learning: https://remarkableresults.biz/classroom -Buy Me a Coffee: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/carm -The Aftermarket Radio Network: https://aftermarketradionetwork.com -Special episode collections: https://remarkableresults.biz/collections        

• Our Sponsors