Quantcast

Goodyear G3X Dealer

Your Freedom to choose? Pressure to sell a type of tire not that may not be in your or the customers best intere$t. Are there other services or a better use of your crews time and shops space for creating profit? At the end of the day will the customer remember YOU or that they "Went to a ******** store?"

B)

• 1 year later...

Hows it working out? I'm a Mastercraft dealer. I like the better pricing and the incentive trips and bonus cash. Goodyear approached me for the G3 program but I can't meet the requirements without giving up a current program. We were a Continental Gold dealer and Yokohama dealer, but now just Mastercraft. We still sell all brands I just can't keep up with having more than one program at a time, it dilutes the bonus potential.

For other shops thinking about selling tires, it's a good service to provide. The profit is less than on other jobs for sure but it brings people in, keeps the cash flow high, and tires are easy to do. No comebacks. 4 tires might mean 4 tires plus a ball joint, tie rod, wheel bearing, brake job, alignment, oil change. All gravy work and they keep the bays full.

Edited by alfredauto
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Great stuff, I just became a member in this forum and I can't believe I was not aware of this site. I'm glad to be on and read these forums.

Joe, hows it going as a G3X dealer? I have been on the program for 10 years and yes, it has a lot of perks. I'm located in Ft. Lauderdale /Hollywood FL. and the competition is fierce down here.

• Like 1

First welcome to ASO. Glad you found us!

It is going good. I don't think the program is for everyone. You need a shop that can handle tire sales and at the same time, maintain production. We really don't compete with other tire stores in the area, since we also do full service, general repairs and diagnostic work. So, for us, the G3X is a bonus.

We also don't brand ourselves as a tire dealer. I didn't want to be a "Me Too" tire dealer, giving discount tires. We are selective and competitive.

Welcome again!

Thank you,

For me, it was going good, even though I had Goodyear sign on my building, my tires sales only counted for 30% of my business. When I acquired this shop in the year 2000, I was only affiliated with NAPA as an Napa AutoCare Center - I wanted my customers to have an umbrella coverage for nationwide warranty but felt too many consumers did not perceive Napa as an auto care center, they thought NAPA and associated it to a parts store.

In 2004, I was looking into other options and I chose Tires Plus. Just when I went through their training and getting ready to convert my building to become a Tires Plus franchisee, everything came to a stop and things dragged out for months, come to find out Tires Plus corporate stopped their franchisee program and they became all corporate owned stores. Then I selected my 2nd option, to become a G3X dealer.

Why I selected Tires Plus first, well within my demographic area, I felt Tires Plus would give me a better selection of tires in respect to price range, a broader spectrum from economy to premium to performance. The G3X program has their fair share of economy line tires but I think in a customers view point, coming to a Goodyear dealer would cost them more than going to a Tires Plus or Tire kingdom.

Again, demographics plays a big role, and Goodyear has the largest OE fitment tires on vehicle's today - but how many consumers stick to those OE tires??? With all these leased vehicles, they just want the most affordable tire's they can get away with and unfortunately I feel very limited when I'm quoting a tire from the Goodyear family. The G3X program changes annually, making it harder and harder to meet quota, especially if you want to be part of their Tire & Service Network, of which I believe is 2,500 units annually.

As for now, I'm currently looking into different options, need to start making changes as we all see the tide has changed in respect to how consumers are buying and spending. you still have a select few customers that are truly loyal but for me, that number is dwindling away. Some have passed away, others have moved, etc... and this new breed of clients have no loyalty, they see something for as little as $5 less somewhere else, they go there.

Just ranting.....

George

Thank you,

For me, it was going good, even though I had Goodyear sign on my building, my tires sales only counted for 30% of my business. When I acquired this shop in the year 2000, I was only affiliated with NAPA as an Napa AutoCare Center - I wanted my customers to have an umbrella coverage for nationwide warranty but felt too many consumers did not perceive Napa as an auto care center, they thought NAPA and associated it to a parts store.

In 2004, I was looking into other options and I chose Tires Plus. Just when I went through their training and getting ready to convert my building to become a Tires Plus franchisee, everything came to a stop and things dragged out for months, come to find out Tires Plus corporate stopped their franchisee program and they became all corporate owned stores. Then I selected my 2nd option, to become a G3X dealer.

Why I selected Tires Plus first, well within my demographic area, I felt Tires Plus would give me a better selection of tires in respect to price range, a broader spectrum from economy to premium to performance. The G3X program has their fair share of economy line tires but I think in a customers view point, coming to a Goodyear dealer would cost them more than going to a Tires Plus or Tire kingdom.

Again, demographics plays a big role, and Goodyear has the largest OE fitment tires on vehicle's today - but how many consumers stick to those OE tires??? With all these leased vehicles, they just want the most affordable tire's they can get away with and unfortunately I feel very limited when I'm quoting a tire from the Goodyear family. The G3X program changes annually, making it harder and harder to meet quota, especially if you want to be part of their Tire & Service Network, of which I believe is 2,500 units annually.

As for now, I'm currently looking into different options, need to start making changes as we all see the tide has changed in respect to how consumers are buying and spending. you still have a select few customers that are truly loyal but for me, that number is dwindling away. Some have passed away, others have moved, etc... and this new breed of clients have no loyalty, they see something for as little as $5 less somewhere else, they go there.

Just ranting.....

George

George,

I think your concerns are shared across the board. Customer loyalty is paramount as well as differentiating your shop from your competition. Thanks for sharing!~

Some people will drive across town to save $.02 on gasoline, 15 extra minutes to save 30 cents on a fill up. Some tire shoppers are the same, I push our service hard on the price shoppers, I even explain that I pay my guys a real living wage which raises the price higher than Walmarts discount minimum wage tire shop. Whatever it takes I try to get the tire business without resorting to selling the cheapest product.

The quotas are frustrating, its not best for the customer to only push one brand. I try to fit the best value for the application, but that means 900 of one brand, 700 of another, 400 of another, and so on. I miss out on the high level perks this way, but my profit is better and my customers happier. Sticking to one brand might be better I just haven't grasped it yet. I do buy from the same multi line distributor, that keeps my prices down across the board.

Edited by alfredauto
  • Like 1