Quantcast

Dealer Reducing Flat Rate Time

I just hired a tech from a local Toyota dealership. He said he was tired of the flat rate pay program. There were weeks when he booked over 60 hours and other weeks where he barely broke 10. But, the interesting thing he told me was that the dealer has been reducing flat rate times below published times in order to compete and to raise revenue.

For example, a wheel alignment may have paid 1 hour, but the dealer, to compete with the market, has reduced the price and adjusted the alignment to .6 tech time.

Other reductions are tire rotations, tire mount, major services, oil changes, Timing belts, other repairs and tire balance. In addition, Toyota has severely cut back on selling fluid services and any other preventive maintenance services that are not in the owner’s manual. All these reasons combined are making it difficult for an honest tech to make a decent wage in a dealership.

Could this be an opportunity for the independents to acquire technicians?

Flash Sale + Social Proof

How has your experience been with hiring dealer techs? The ones who have been deaaler techs for very long haven't done too well for us?

From my experience, if a dealer tech has a lot of years with one car line (15 years of better), they can't make the transitiion to an independent that deals with multiple car lines. The only dealer techs that have worked out for me were the younger techs. I now have 3 former dealer techs, but when they came to me there were all in their mid 20's. They are all working out fine. The dealer techs that were hired in the past that had 15 years or more did not work out. In fact they lasted about a month.

I'm hearing the same from my brother who is a service advisor for Mercedes. They are really cracking down on the times and what they will allow with the warranty work. In turn nobody wants the warranty work. I'm glad I dont have a new vehicle that needs warranty work.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Topics

• By carmcapriotto
      Did you know that 70% of change initiatives with new programs/systems will fail due to a lack of leadership commitment?  I want to focus on mentor/mentee and apprenticeship programs, which are most critical to our industry’s survival.  You can lose your way without processes, procedures, and accountability to mold your apprentice into your shop. Too much talk and not enough action is the breakdown.  Luckily for you, my guest, Marc Brune, has a program focused on helping businesses develop entry-level technician mentoring programs with the tech shortage in mind.  Marc Brune, Business Development Manager, mentormentee.com  Key Talking Points
      3 key people- manager, mentor, mentee People are looking for a plan and someone to help along the path Preparing for business before entry-level candidate comes on board- do you have the right culture for a positive mentor-mentee atmosphere? Who will be the best person to step in (manager) and mentor (can multitask) Mentor- teaches not only automotive but also speaks the culture of the shop  Mentoring vs. teaching- teaching is 1-way street, and mentoring is a 2-way street Assessment- 15 different categories, ranked in order of importance Educate- set expectations for each role Execution- have mentee and plan Plan- having a repeatable plan  Online course specific for each role- 3 hours each Facilitating growth- offers ASE task lists used in ASE accredited program Soft skills- customers are a part of your business Setting goals- mentor and mentee can set specific goals with dates and be able to adjust   Recruit- “the important things are never urgent, and the urgent things are never important.” Have the recruiting mindset.    Execute- daily on the job training plan for mentees and track progress Analyze and reward- get the data flowing on how the mentor/mentee progressing. Build incentives for growth with both mentor/mentee. Don’t let your mentors go red in their pay. mentormentee.com 
      Connect with the Podcast: Aftermarket Radio Network Subscribe on YouTube Visit us on the Web Follow on Facebook Become an Insider Buy me a coffee Important Books Check out today's partners: Set your sights on Las Vegas in 2022. Mark your calendar now … November 1-3, 2022, AAPEX - Now more than ever. And don’t miss the next free AAPEX webinar. Register now at AAPEXSHOW.COM/WEBINAR. Shop-Ware: More Time. More Profit. Shop-Ware Shop Management getshopware.com
      Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By carmcapriotto
      Another informative episode with NAPA’s VP of Emerging Technology, Susan Starnes. We talk about NAPA’s support for all their customers as they focus on providing tools, parts, and training to meet all the future technology needs so we can seize every opportunity to repair the newest high-tech vehicles.
      Susan Starnes, Vice President, Emerging Markets of Genuine Parts Company
      Key Talking Points
      General discussion about the penetration of EVs, ADAS, connectivity Her team works closely with training NexDrive program- equipt shops to service EV’s and hybrids, started in the Netherlands in 2020. Looking to roll out and test in the US soon. Having products, training and communication and support around the program.  
      Connect with the Podcast:
      Aftermarket Radio Network

Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Check out today's partner:
      Learn more about NAPA AutoCare and the benefits of being part of the NAPA family by visiting www.NAPAAutoCare.com

• By Joe Marconi
      I have heard from a few shop owners, that they are afraid to send their techs to a training event because they fear that they will be recruited by another shop.  How do you feel about this?
      Perhaps it's time to sit down with your techs and see if all is ok?  People quit for a number of reasons. Should we get ahead of this, if this is a real problem these days? 

• By ASOG Podcast
      Do You Really Need Tech School To Start An Auto Repair Shop?
    • Advertise your services or products to passers-by attracting them towards your business
    • By carmcapriotto
      Are you doing flat rate, salary, or a hybrid model? What are the pros and cons of all three? My panel brings light to this hot topic from different perspectives. The consensus from the group is there is no cookie-cutter model on pay plans you must factor in your culture and your team.
      Jeff Grassman, Carsmart Auto Service, Sumner, WA
      Carlo Sabucco, Sil’s Complete Auto Care Centre, Oakville, ON. Carlo’s previous episodes HERE.
      Dave Schedin, CompuTrek Automotive Management Systems. Dave’s previous episodes HERE
      Key Talking Points
      Flat rate shouldn’t be used to fix problems A flat rate feels secure when there is a lot of work to be done, and there is tangible potential in front of them that they can get paid for. They fear when they don’t see the car count or have advisors who can’t sell and cater to presenting to “not get a no” from Mr. or Mrs. Jones. The hybrid model: performance-based pay. It has a base to lead those with hourly fear to feel a bit of security and the abundance reward that can be created from getting paid for producing more than 8 hours per day. All pay systems are good systems if the shop wins, the customer wins, and the employee wins. The mindset behind flat rate is “ a worker is worth their wages.” They have the opportunity to create an increase which is about an abundance mindset. This mindset motivates itself. The misconception that hourly is “safer” creates a scarcity or fear-based mindset. It always needs prodding to produce higher results at the level flat-rate can produce. “Shorten the racetrack” by investing in multiple tools  Get your techs excited about their efficiencies and quality of life Ask your employees what their ‘love language' is  
      Connect with the Podcast

Aftermarket Radio Network
      Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Check out today's partners: Shop-Ware: More Time. More Profit. Shop-Ware Shop Management getshopware.com       Delphi Technologies: Keeping current on the latest vehicle systems and how to repair them is a must for today’s technicians. DelphiAftermarket.com

• Our Sponsors

Start LLC for $0 at IncFile