Quantcast

WON'T HOLD YA TO IT ----- ------ ----- Really? ya won't hold me to it? then why ask?

Gonzo

WON'T HOLD YA TO IT!

Being a specialty shop I'm usually not the first place most people will stop at for repairs. More than likely they'll have gone to their "regular" mechanic to try and solve a problem, or checked around with people they know as to where to try and get their car repaired. Sooner or later somebody will mention my name and they'll make it over to my shop.

The only problem I run into now is the fact they have already spent so much money on repairs, and their budget is so tight they want me to go as easy as possible on the cost of the repair. But, before they came to my shop a budget wasn't a problem, but now with all their money spent… they want me to hold to a certain price. This next price shopper was no different.

A guy comes into the office with a dash gauge problem on his Ford pickup. He starts out with the same old introduction line I've heard a zillion times before: "I've been here, I've been there and nobody can find out what's wrong… everyone I've talked to says you're the man to see who can find it."

The story goes that it will blow the 10 amp gauge fuse as soon as you install one, but he's found that if he puts a 25 amp fuse in it will last a day or two. (Good Grief… this is already sounding bad.) A lot of parts have been changed and a lot of things have been tried. It's been to several other shops but nothing has ever solved the problem. All of them eventually recommended that he stop by my shop. (I'm thinking to myself, "Gee dude? After you went to the first shop and they told you to come here, then you went to the next shop and they told you the same thing, then a third, and… seriously dude…how many shops did ya actually go to before you showed up here?")

Needless to say, he was out of cash, out of patience, and still without working gauges in his truck. Now it's my turn to tackle the problem, or … is it……

"I need and estimate on how much it will cost to repair it," he asked me.

"Well, sir, without knowing where the problem is, or what is causing the problem, I'll have to check a few things to be able to pinpoint what the cause is."

"You've obviously done these before, so how much did those cost?"

"Your results may not be the same as the last one I did, because I'm pretty sure the last couple of them that I've done didn't try a 25 amp fuse in place of a 10 amp. So, you might be in for a little more work than the usual repair."

"How can that make the problem worse, it's just a fuse?"

I explained, (as best as I could) why an oversize fuse was not a good idea… but it wasn't getting thru to him. He didn't or wouldn't except an explanation that didn't include a dollar amount in the answer.

"Just give me a range of what it could cost," he insistently asked.

"Ok, well, how about 1 dollar to a thousand," I said, getting a little chapped at his badgering questions.

"Oh, you can give me a closer guess than that. I won't hold ya to it of course."

(The classic "won't hold ya to it" line… sure, you won't.)

"Ok then, it usually runs between 200 to 500 but, it could run a lot less, or it could run a lot more depending on the actual damage I find."

"So you think it will cost around 500.00 bucks then?"

Apparently I have lost my ability to explain things in English, and apparently when I give a variable of two numbers the "won't hold ya to it" number is the higher one, and not a penny more. I guess I didn't make myself clear… oh, I forgot… he's not going to hold me to it so it's safe to say 500.00 bucks is a good number. Awesome, now I won't have to worry about the inevitable argument I'll have once (if ever) I finish the job. Because you know… the actual price may vary.

"Ok, what would be the worst case scenario?" he asks.

By this time I've pretty much figured out that this guy isn't about to leave the truck with me. Either because of the cost or the fact he's not getting the answers he wants. To me, when someone starts asking all these questions it's a sign that they don't trust you… they are really only trying to find a number that they can use to compare at the next shop they'll be stopping at. All the references in the world don't help a bit when the old wallet is doing the talking. Because it still comes down to who's the cheapest. References, quality of repair, and answering all their questions, still doesn't add up to a job in the shop, plain and simply… it's cost. At this point, I know I've lost the job, his trust and my trust of him isn't there. I might as well end this with a little flare of my own.

"Well, let's see… how much did ya pay for the truck?" I asked.

"I paid over 10 grand for it, but what does that have to do with it?

"Let's think about this for a second… If you have ruined the wiring to the point that the overall cost of repairs will exceed the value of the truck then I would say the worst case scenario would be… replace the truck. It's just a harmless joke sir, not that it would happen to your truck, however, I've had a few that it was actually possible with the amount of damage I've found."

Well that pretty much sealed the deal. That little answer snapped his last fuse. This guy is heading out the door. There's no doubt about it. Even with all the referrals, the detailed diagnostics procedures that I explained to him, the fact that I knew that more damage could be done by changing to a higher amperage fuse, still didn't bring the job into the shop. I guess trying to hold my feet over the fire with a "I won't hold ya to it price" was still out of his budget.

There's no doubt I didn't hit it off with this guy, and quite frankly sometimes that's a good thing, I'm not trying to win them all. Man, it would have been a good paying job too if I could have only found a price that this guy could afford. Next time I run across another situation like this I'm going to ask them this question,"Ok, what can you afford? I realize you have spent a ton of money with all these other shops and nothing has been done. So why don't you give me a number that will work… … … … Oh and don't worry… … … … I won't hold ya to it." :)

People never cease to amaze me. After a while you need to just learn to take it all in stride... you're not going to win every battle or make every customer a long life friend. At least after reading a few of my stories you'll get a smile and figure out you're not the only one that has seen somebody like this. Have a Great day!

View full article

I think you're right... but... I won't hold ya to it... LOL

Gonzo, the second I read the title, I went running for the meds. What a story. All too familiar for shop owners. I just love when someone says, "Hey, I just spent a lot of money at other shops and they could not fix it, so don't charge me a lot to fix it correctly". Do they realize what they are saying?

Funny and sad at the same time, I think many shop owners will pop a fuse reading this one!

And I thought it was just my shop that the wacky ones come too. You hit this one on the nail, when something like this happens to me and they walk out I KNOW I am better off. We all know how these type of things can take that ugly turn. Not worth it to deal with.

By the way I got your book in the mail this week, "loose nut" is a great read every shop owner can relate too for sure. Now if you can get Joe Blow to read it maybe our lives will be a little better. LOL.

• Like 1

Thanks for your comments Gary. I hate to repeat myself, but then.... that's pretty much what my stories and articles do. (Re-tell shop encounters)

When I started my shop I thought I was the only one who ran across all these wacky people, it wasn't til' years later and after talking to other shop owners that it wasn't true... EVERYBODY gets them.

The biggest stress relief I ever had in business was finding that out. So writing the stories and situations down provide not only a little entertainment for everyone else but I'm hoping the same sort of stress relief that I discovered after talking to other shop owners.

I hope it's working, and I'm glad ya like the book.

To comment another reader, "Everone from the tech to the customer should read this book, there's a lesson in there for all of us." How true...

And I thought it was just my shop that the wacky ones come too. You hit this one on the nail, when something like this happens to me and they walk out I KNOW I am better off. We all know how these type of things can take that ugly turn. Not worth it to deal with.

By the way I got your book in the mail this week, "loose nut" is a great read every shop owner can relate too for sure. Now if you can get Joe Blow to read it maybe our lives will be a little better. LOL.

• Available Subscriptions

• Have you checked out Joe's Latest Blog?

0 comments
      It always amazes me when I hear about a technician who quits one repair shop to go work at another shop for less money. I know you have heard of this too, and you’ve probably asked yourself, “Can this be true? And Why?” The answer rests within the culture of the company. More specifically, the boss, manager, or a toxic work environment literally pushed the technician out the door.
      While money and benefits tend to attract people to a company, it won’t keep them there. When a technician begins to look over the fence for greener grass, that is usually a sign that something is wrong within the workplace. It also means that his or her heart is probably already gone. If the issue is not resolved, no amount of money will keep that technician for the long term. The heart is always the first to leave. The last thing that leaves is the technician’s toolbox.
      Shop owners: Focus more on employee retention than acquisition. This is not to say that you should not be constantly recruiting. You should. What it does means is that once you hire someone, your job isn’t over, that’s when it begins. Get to know your technicians. Build strong relationships. Have frequent one-on-ones. Engage in meaningful conversation. Find what truly motivates your technicians. You may be surprised that while money is a motivator, it’s usually not the prime motivator.
      One last thing; the cost of technician turnover can be financially devastating. It also affects shop morale. Do all you can to create a workplace where technicians feel they are respected, recognized, and know that their work contributes to the overall success of the company. This will lead to improved morale and team spirit. Remember, when you see a technician’s toolbox rolling out of the bay on its way to another shop, the heart was most likely gone long before that.
  • Similar Topics

• By carmcapriotto
      Welcome to the Auto Repair Marketing Podcast with Brian Walker. In this solo episode, Brian discusses the importance of taking massive action during slow business periods. 
      Drawing from a recent conversation with a shop owner, he shares strategies to combat slow times, including leveraging networking groups like BNI, using your CRM effectively, creating engaging video content, and offering incentives.
      Brian also highlights the importance of personal health and well-being, emphasizing that a healthy business owner is crucial for a thriving business. 
      Tune in for practical tips to help fill your bays and keep your business thriving.
      Thank you to RepairPal for sponsoring The Auto Repair Marketing Podcast. Learn more about RepairPal at https://repairpal.com/shops
      Lagniappe (Books, Links, Other Podcasts, etc)
      Greg Buckley at Buckley's Auto Center : https://www.youtube.com/@BuckleysAutoCare/featured
      Charlie's Foreign Car
      https://www.youtube.com/@fixingcars
      Royalty Auto Service
      https://www.youtube.com/@theroyaltyautoservice
      Dave’s Auto Center
      https://www.youtube.com/@DavesAutoCenterCenterville
      How To Get In Touch
      Group - Auto Repair Marketing Mastermind
      Website - shopmarketingpros.com 
      Facebook - facebook.com/shopmarketingpros 
      Get the Book - shopmarketingpros.com/book
      Instagram - @shopmarketingpros 
      Questions/Ideas - [email protected] 
      Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By carmcapriotto
      The Weekly Blitz is brought to you by our friends over at Shop Marketing Pros. If you want to take your shop to the next level, you need great marketing. Shop Marketing Pros does top-tier marketing for top-tier shops.
      Click here to learn more about Top Tier Marketing by Shop Marketing Pros and schedule a demo:https://shopmarketingpros.com/chris/
      Check out their podcast here: https://autorepairmarketing.captivate.fm/
      If you would like to join their private Facebook group go here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/autorepairmarketingmastermind
      In this podcast episode, Coach Chris Cotton from Auto Fix Auto Shop Coaching emphasizes the importance of seeking inspiration and innovation outside the auto repair industry. He challenges shop owners to break out of their comfort zones and learn from disruptors in fields like hospitality, retail, healthcare, and fitness. Chris discusses how adopting customer-centric approaches and technologies from these industries can transform auto repair businesses.

For instance, he highlights how the hospitality industry's focus on exceptional customer service and personalized experiences can be mirrored in auto repair shops to build stronger customer relationships and loyalty. Similarly, he points out how retail's use of data analytics and customer feedback can help auto shops better understand their clients' needs and preferences, leading to more tailored services and improved satisfaction.

Chris also explores how the healthcare sector's emphasis on transparency and trust can be applied to auto repair, fostering a more open and honest communication channel between mechanics and customers. Additionally, he draws parallels with the fitness industry's use of subscription models and community-building strategies, suggesting that auto repair shops could benefit from implementing similar membership programs to ensure steady revenue and customer engagement.

He encourages proactive learning, attending conferences, and networking with professionals from other sectors. By stepping outside the traditional boundaries of the auto repair industry, shop owners can gain fresh perspectives and innovative ideas that can set them apart from competitors.

The episode concludes with practical steps for implementing these innovative ideas to enhance customer experience and drive positive change in auto repair shops. Chris provides actionable advice on how to start small, such as introducing a customer feedback system or experimenting with new service packages, and gradually scale up these initiatives. He also stresses the importance of continuous improvement and staying adaptable to evolving customer expectations and industry trends. By embracing these strategies, auto repair shops can not only improve their operations but also create a more engaging and satisfying experience for their customers.

The power of looking outside our industry (00:01:05)
      Exploring the importance of learning from disruptors in other fields to stay ahead of the curve.  
      Innovation at the edges (00:03:26)

Discussing how innovation often occurs at the edges of industries and the benefits of looking beyond traditional practices.  
      Examples of disruptors in other industries (00:04:37)

Exploring examples from healthcare, food and beverage, connected fitness apps, and education to draw insights for auto repair business.  
      Implementing ideas in auto repair shops (00:09:41)

Strategies for implementing ideas from other industries, such as networking, adopting technology, experimenting with service models, focusing on customer experience, and empowering the team.  

Connect with Chris:
      [email protected]
      Phone: 940.400.1008
      www.autoshopcoaching.com
      Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/
      AutoFixAutoShopCoachingYoutube: https://bit.ly/3ClX0ae

#autofixautoshopcoaching #autofixbeautofixing #autoshopprofits #autoshopprofit #autoshopprofitsfirst #autoshopleadership #autoshopmanagement #autorepairshopcoaching #autorepairshopconsulting #autorepairshoptraining #autorepairshop #autorepair #serviceadvisor #serviceadvisorefficiency #autorepairshopmarketing #theweeklyblitz #autofix #shopmarketingpros #autofixautoshopcoachingbook
    • By carmcapriotto
      Thanks to our Partners, NAPA TRACS, AutoFix Auto Shop Coaching, and Today's Class Join Dan Bryant and Heather DePriest as they discuss the transformative power of Mike Michalowicz's 'Profit First' methodology. Heather and Dan share their success stories and discuss the essential principles of cash management that have helped them grow their businesses sustainably. Tune in for insightful discussions on budgeting, cash allocation, and the critical role of business coaching. Heather DePriest, American Garage, Chinook, MT. Heather's previous episodes HERE Dan Bryant, American Pride Automotive, 5 StoreS, VA Show Notes
      Starting Profit First (00:03:01) The challenges of starting the Profit First system and the benefits it brought to their business. Impact of Profit First (00:04:11) How Profit First helps with budgeting, tax payments, and managing expenses, leading to significant improvements in their business. Issues with Managing Cash (00:06:15) The consequences of not managing cash properly and the stress it can cause for business owners. Need for Coaching and Education (00:08:38) Heather and Dan emphasize the importance of coaching and education in implementing Profit First and improving business management. Core Principles of Profit First (00:10:15) Dan Bryant explains the core principles of Profit First, including setting up main accounts, allocating percentages, and removing temptation. Rhythm and Account Setup (00:15:06) Heather discusses how they simplified their accounts and the importance of finding a supportive bank for setting up multiple accounts. Inconvenient Bank and Transfers (00:16:48) Dan explains the concept of the "inconvenient bank" and the purpose of transferring funds to it, emphasizing the removal of temptation. Success and Expansion (00:18:57) Dan and Heather share their success story and how Profit First helped them manage cash and expand their business. Struggles in Business (00:19:25) Dan and Heather discuss the struggles of business ownership, including talent acquisition and financial challenges. Business Expansion and Financial Management (00:21:12) Dan shares insights on business expansion, financial management, and the importance of sustainable profit. Team Building and Family Inclusion (00:24:51) Dan discusses team building activities, including the importance of including family members for better participation. Profit First and Budgeting (00:25:17) The conversation delves into how Profit First aligns with budgeting and financial planning for the future. Tax Allocations and Financial Security (00:26:13) The importance of setting aside funds for taxes and the peace of mind it brings to business owners. Thanks to our Partner, NAPA TRACS NAPA TRACS will move your shop into the SMS fast lane with onsite training and six days a week of support and local representation. Find NAPA TRACS on the Web at http://napatracs.com/ Thanks to our Partner, Auto-Fix Auto Shop Coaching Proven Auto Shop Coaching with Results. Over 61 Million in ROI with an Average ROI of 9x. Find Coach Chris Cotton at AutoFix Auto Shop Coaching on the Web at https://autoshopcoaching.com/ Thanks to our Partner, Today's Class Optimize training with Today's Class: In just 5 minutes daily, boost knowledge retention and improve team performance. Find Today's Class on the web at https://www.todaysclass.com/ Connect with the Podcast: -Follow on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RemarkableResultsRadioPodcast/ -Join Our Virtual Toastmasters Club: https://remarkableresults.biz/toastmasters -Join Our Private Facebook Community: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1734687266778976 -Subscribe on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/carmcapriotto -Follow on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/carmcapriotto/ -Follow on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/remarkableresultsradiopodcast/ -Follow on X (Twitter): https://twitter.com/RResultsBiz -Visit the Website: https://remarkableresults.biz/ -Join our Insider List: https://remarkableresults.biz/insider -All books mentioned on our podcasts: https://remarkableresults.biz/books -Our Classroom page for personal or team learning: https://remarkableresults.biz/classroom -Buy Me a Coffee: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/carm -The Aftermarket Radio Network: https://aftermarketradionetwork.com -Special episode collections: https://remarkableresults.biz/collections                                  
    • By carmcapriotto
      The Weekly Blitz is brought to you by our friends over at Shop Marketing Pros. If you want to take your shop to the next level, you need great marketing. Shop Marketing Pros does top-tier marketing for top-tier shops.
      Click here to learn more about Top Tier Marketing by Shop Marketing Pros and schedule a demo:https://shopmarketingpros.com/chris/
      Check out their podcast here: https://autorepairmarketing.captivate.fm/
      If you would like to join their private Facebook group go here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/autorepairmarketingmastermind
      In this podcast episode, Coach Chris Cotton from Auto Fix Auto Shop Coaching discusses the critical importance of setting clear, achievable goals in the auto repair business. He warns against the pitfalls of constantly changing targets, which can negatively impact business direction and team morale.
      Coach Cotton emphasizes the need for SMART goals—specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, and time-bound—and offers practical steps for planning, monitoring progress, and celebrating milestones. He delves into the significance of having a structured approach to goal-setting, which not only helps in aligning the team’s efforts but also ensures that everyone is working towards a common objective.
      Coach Cotton also shares real-life examples and success stories from auto repair shops that have thrived by adhering to these principles. This episode offers valuable insights for business growth and personal satisfaction, making it a must-listen for anyone looking to enhance their auto repair business.

Introduction (00:00:03)
      Coach Chris Cotton introduces the podcast and its purpose, highlighting the game-changing insights and practical tips for auto repair businesses.  
      Moving the Goalposts (00:01:05)

Discussion on the perils of constantly changing goals in business and personal life, emphasizing the importance of setting and sticking to clear goals.  
      Setting Clear Goals (00:02:15)

Exploration of the cruciality of defining a clear vision, setting SMART goals, creating a plan, monitoring progress, staying accountable, and celebrating milestones.  
      Personal Goal Setting (00:06:46)

Advises on setting personal goals to support professional life, continuous learning, and prioritizing health and wellness for a successful life and business.  
      Conclusion and Call to Action (00:07:47)

Encouragement to stop moving the goalposts and start achieving goals, with a shoutout to the sponsor and a motivational sign-off.  

Connect with Chris:
      [email protected]
      Phone: 940.400.1008
      www.autoshopcoaching.com
      Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/
      AutoFixAutoShopCoachingYoutube: https://bit.ly/3ClX0ae

#autofixautoshopcoaching #autofixbeautofixing #autoshopprofits #autoshopprofit #autoshopprofitsfirst #autoshopleadership #autoshopmanagement #autorepairshopcoaching #autorepairshopconsulting #autorepairshoptraining #autorepairshop #autorepair #serviceadvisor #serviceadvisorefficiency #autorepairshopmarketing #theweeklyblitz #autofix #shopmarketingpros #autofixautoshopcoachingbook
    • By carmcapriotto
      Thanks to our Partners, NAPA TRACS, AutoFix Auto Shop Coaching, and Today's Class Brin Kline shares his journey from technician to successful shop owner, highlighting the crucial role of his business coach, Bill Haas. They delve into the importance of having an accountability partner, the role of coaching in reducing stress, and how personalized guidance can help shop owners reach their full potential. Perfect for shop owners looking for insights on business coaching, this episode is packed with valuable advice and industry wisdom. Brin Kline, Shop Owner, Assured Auto Works, Melbourne, FL. Brin's previous episodes Bill Haas, Haas Performance Consulting, Bill’s previous episodes HERE. Show Notes
      Coaching in the Industry (00:01:15) Discussion about the importance of coaching in the automotive industry and the value of having a coach. Accountability and Coaching (00:07:49) The importance of having an accountability partner in coaching and its impact on business progress. Financial Security and Coaching (00:09:47) The relationship between financial security, goal setting, and coaching in business development. Business Goals and Budgeting (00:11:13) The significance of setting business goals and budgeting with the guidance of a coach. Selecting a Coach (00:13:50) Considerations for selecting a coach based on strengths and weaknesses. Affordability of Coaching (00:16:05) Discussion on the affordability of coaching and the potential benefits, even for struggling businesses. Personal Growth and Coaching (00:18:41) The importance of personal growth, humility, and willingness to change in the coaching relationship. Business changes and profitability (00:20:16) Discussion on increased profitability and the ability to make changes in the business. Gaining confidence and comfort (00:21:19) Becoming more comfortable and confident in making changes and taking action. Transition from technician to business owner (00:25:28) Concerns and challenges of transitioning from a technician to a business owner. Selecting the right coach (00:34:01) Factors to consider when selecting a coach, including industry passion and adaptability. Managing time and involvement in the industry (00:39:08) Discussion on managing time and involvement in various industry activities as a challenge. Team growth and dynamics (00:41:33) Discussion about the growth of Brin's team and maintaining a positive work environment. Commitment to the business (00:44:22) Brin's decision-making process and commitment to his business. Thanks to our Partner, NAPA TRACS NAPA TRACS will move your shop into the SMS fast lane with onsite training and six days a week of support and local representation. Find NAPA TRACS on the Web at http://napatracs.com/ Thanks to our Partner, Auto-Fix Auto Shop Coaching Proven Auto Shop Coaching with Results. Over 61 Million in ROI with an Average ROI of 9x. Find Coach Chris Cotton at AutoFix Auto Shop Coaching on the Web at https://autoshopcoaching.com/ Thanks to our Partner, Today's Class Optimize training with Today's Class: In just 5 minutes daily, boost knowledge retention and improve team performance. Find Today's Class on the web at https://www.todaysclass.com/ Connect with the Podcast: -Follow on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RemarkableResultsRadioPodcast/ -Join Our Private Facebook Community: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1734687266778976 -Subscribe on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/carmcapriotto -Follow on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/carmcapriotto/ -Follow on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/remarkableresultsradiopodcast/ -Follow on X (Twitter): https://twitter.com/RResultsBiz -Visit the Website: https://remarkableresults.biz/ -Join our Insider List: https://remarkableresults.biz/insider -All books mentioned on our podcasts: https://remarkableresults.biz/books -Our Classroom page for personal or team learning: https://remarkableresults.biz/classroom -Buy Me a Coffee: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/carm -The Aftermarket Radio Network: https://aftermarketradionetwork.com -Special episode collections: https://remarkableresults.biz/collections                                  

• Our Sponsors