Quantcast

Code Talkers -- It takes more than reading codes to be a real technician

Gonzo

Code Talkers

During World War II the US used a secret type of language to send and receive messages, so the enemy couldn't find out what they were talking about. They enlisted the help of Navajo and Comanche Native Americans as radio operators. These guys used a combination of their language and relative terms as a way to disguise the real message over unsecured radio waves during World War II.

Most of the coding was done by using a native word for each letter of the message. Such as, if you were going to say the word "ARMY" they would pick one of the native words that represented a word in English with the first letter "A" and the same for each letter after that. In other words the letter "B" would be sent over the radio waves as, "Toish-Jeh" which means, "barrel" in English.

So the word "ARMY" would have been transmitted something like this:

"Wol-la-chee" (Ant) – "Gah" (rabbit) – "Tsin-tliti" (Match) – "Tsah-as-zih" (Yucca) thus the word Army would have been spelled out and easily translated at the other end. A lot of times an entire phrase could be stated with one word, or a word that was often used had a selected native word that was used as a substitute. Then on other occasions an English word was thrown in just to confuse the whole thing even more. It was quite ingenious… and believe or not… the code was never --- ever --- broken. To quote General Howard Connor (while at Iwo Jima), "Were it not for the Navajos, the Marines would have never taken Iwo Jima."

Trying to sound out those four Native American words (correctly) and translate it into the actual word was easy for these guys. They understood it, it's their language and they could send/translate and relay an answer faster than any machine available back in the day. They truly were code talkers.

So you might ask where am I going with all of this? Well, think about it… doesn't this sound something like the codes we have with today's cars? It does to me.

I read a code, translate it into working data, and solve a problem, all with a language that isn't understood by everyone out there. I guess you could call me a modern day code talker.

The big difference is you've got people with hand held scanners they bought at a local store or from the internet, and have the ability to "read" a code. Or some of them have been to a repair shop that has bought a scanner and read the codes for them. But, they can't break the code. They can't determine what to do with the information they have in front of them.

Think about it… it's World War II, and you've just copied down a message from your secret hiding spot on the side of the hill. You are about to relay the message to your superior officers. But, you still haven't a clue what that gibberish means. It's like reading a code on a car these days, and not having a clue what all that information means. That's where a qualified automotive technician … (aka code talker) is needed.

I have lost count of how many times a car has come into my shop with a customer standing at the counter. They have already been somewhere else, and the other shop has given them an invoice with the codes and the definition written down on it, and… more than likely a big "goose egg" in the charge column of the invoice. And,… they still haven't had their problem resolved.

"Oh I see they didn't charge you to read the codes… how nice of them (a little sarcastically I might add). So, you need me to find out what it all means right?" I'll ask.

"Yes, but I won't need it diagnosed; that's already done," the customer will tell me.

Of course it's already diagnosed… and you know what is going to happen next. I'm going to tell them there is a charge to trace out the actual problem and determine the reason for the fault code. Any tests that are needed or extra equipment needed to diagnose the problem is all incorporated into the diagnostic fee, which of course ends up with a customer just about to grab all their paper work and head out the door. Because … oh you know what's coming next… "It shouldn't cost anything to find out what's wrong with my car, because I already had that done."

This is when I break into my "code talker" story and inform the customer of what the process takes to actually find out what that particular code means.

"There's everything from a compression check to TSB's that need to be considered when it comes to diagnosing a problem," I'll tell them.

Let's face it, an oscilloscope ain't cheap, and as far as I know they aren't giving away these scanners, not to mention the hand tools, meters, and specialty equipment you'll need to perform some of these tests.

I realize that the code information to them sounds more like "Comanche" or "Navajo" lingo than it does plain English… but then… I'm a modern day code talker… I can read it, I can interpret it, and I can translate it into English. That's what I'm here for.

The next thing to do is make the customer aware of the level of sophistication that is needed to decipher these coded messages from the car. (It still amazes me that there are still a lot of people out there who assume replacing a part will always solve the problem, and that intensive research isn't necessary.)

I don't know about you, but there are times when I have a car in the shop that looks like it is on life support with the amount of gadgets I've got hanging out of the hood or from under the dash, and it all started off with a simple code. (This is one of those times a cell phone or a camera comes in handy and sending a shot of the owner's car to them so they can see what you've had to do to locate the cause of that simple code number.)

I'm a modern day mechanic… I'm no grease monkey, nor am I the guy with a scanner who'll read your codes and give you the definition. I'm the guy who will read the code, define it, and translate it into a solution. The cars of today are not the car of yesterday… nor are they the cars of the future. I've got to take care of what is here now, and that requires some understanding of the fundamentals of todays' cars. But in order to find out what that little service light means on your dash…keep in mind… you don't need a code reader… you need a code talker.

Working on new stories all the time. Adding a little survey to this story... Which magazines do you see my articles in? Leave a comment ... love to hear from ya. Gonzo

View full article

Not even realizing it but when I was in the Marine Corps my primary MOS (Military Occupation Status) was a 2531/2542 "Field Radio Operator/Teletype Operator" I guess that's why I know how the code was used, because it was taught in some of the classes. It wasn't my intention to write about US Marine radio operators... I was going for the "code readers" we run across in our daily business and how I generally deal with them. But, don't worry none of the info I provided is anything to be worried about... it's all been declassified... We're not leaking national secrets here.. LOL

Glad ya liked the story... Gonzo

thanks Joe, as always you see the inner meaning of the story as I write them down. And yes the BP meds better be close by. LOL

This is one of those articles that I think would be a perfect one to have on a bullentin board or on the wall of the waiting room in every shop.

I'm betting this article is picked up really fast and goes into print before a lot of other really good ones do. This one just hits a nerve for every decent shop out there that has to deal with the cutthroat logics of the free "diagnostics" when in fact.... their idea of diagnostics is simple code reading. But that doesn't make you a code talker.... thanx again your insight is spot on... U Da Best Joe!

Well Gonzo, you did again. My blood pressure is up, thanks...

First, let me tell you, the analogy you make to the code-talkers of WWII is brilliant. My issue here is how little most of the public thinks of us, with respect to what it takes to test and diagnose and the modern automobile. I don't know how it started, but pulling codes is not a diagnosis and we need to be careful of the perception the public has on check engine lights and other hi-tech testing.

I have an AutoZone opening up around the corner from me soon, which is in walking distance of Advanced. Both stores promote free check engine light code reading. This only serves to diminish the complexity of that code and what it takes to understand the code, the equipment and the information data base. To be truthful, I can teach a monkey how to pull a code.

Repair shops have enough trouble getting the money they deserve, let's not jeapordize perhaps our future and reduce the check engine light to a commodity.

Great article, sorry for being so passionate....now let's see, where's my BP medication....

I'd like to say also the industry is lucky to have someone like you Joe... ASO is something you should be really proud of. I'm very glad to have made that phone call to you so many years ago... I'll bet ya never thought (at the time) that I wasn't kidding when I told you I had a few stories to tell... LOL

Don't worry I've got more stories and more articles to go.. I'm no rocket scientist... I'm no CEO ... I may not be as strong as a bull... ... ... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once... I guess that means I'm qualified... ROFL... :) :) :rolleyes::DB):lol::P

I tip my hat to you, keep these article coming...our industry to lucky to have someone like you to bring up these sensitive issues in a way that is both informative and fun.

And, I do hope this strikes a nerve in the hearts of every shop out there. To be a shop owner and tech todays requires the strength of a bull, the intellect of a rocket scientist and the management skills of a top CEO, it aint easy...

Very nicely done Gonzo. I too love when the local "Chepo" parts stores that read codes and send them on thier way knowing what the whole problem is. Makes our lives so much easyer when they provide was with thier findings doesn't it. LOL U.S. Marine huh, I knew there was something I liked about you. Semper Fi brother, myself also.

Thanks Gary... semper fi... you'll find a lot of stories related to my GI days. Makes some great stories.

Very nicely done Gonzo. I too love when the local "Chepo" parts stores that read codes and send them on thier way knowing what the whole problem is. Makes our lives so much easyer when they provide was with thier findings doesn't it. LOL U.S. Marine huh, I knew there was something I liked about you. Semper Fi brother, myself also.

The radio systems they used in WWII were still on the training schedule when I was in the service (late 70's). Cryptographic radios pretty much put the code talkers out of business, the next thing is... what technilogical advancement puts the "code reader" of today out of business.

• Have you checked out Joe's Latest Blog?

5 comments
      I recently spoke with a friend of mine who owns a large general repair shop in the Midwest. His father founded the business in 1975. He was telling me that although he’s busy, he’s also very frustrated. When I probed him more about his frustrations, he said that it’s hard to find qualified technicians. My friend employs four technicians and is looking to hire two more. I then asked him, “How long does a technician last working for you.” He looked puzzled and replied, “I never really thought about that, but I can tell that except for one tech, most technicians don’t last working for me longer than a few years.”
      Judging from personal experience as a shop owner and from what I know about the auto repair industry, I can tell you that other than a few exceptions, the turnover rate for technicians in our industry is too high. This makes me think, do we have a technician shortage or a retention problem? Have we done the best we can over the decades to provide great pay plans, benefits packages, great work environments, and the right culture to ensure that the techs we have stay with us?
      Finding and hiring qualified automotive technicians is not a new phenomenon. This problem has been around for as long as I can remember. While we do need to attract people to our industry and provide the necessary training and mentorship, we also need to focus on retention. Having a revolving door and needing to hire techs every few years or so costs your company money. Big money! And that revolving door may be a sign of an even bigger issue: poor leadership, and poor employee management skills.
      Here’s one more thing to consider, for the most part, technicians don’t leave one job to start a new career, they leave one shop as a technician to become a technician at another shop. The reasons why they leave can be debated, but there is one fact that we cannot deny, people don’t quit the company they work for, they usually leave because of the boss or manager they work for.
      Put yourselves in the shoes of your employees. Do you have a workplace that communicates, “We appreciate you and want you to stay!”
  • Similar Topics

• By carmcapriotto
      Recorded Live at MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems) 2024 Training Event & Trade Show, Adam Kimmel discusses the refrigerant and thermal management industry. He highlights the significance of air conditioning technology in vehicles, the essential use of fluorine in refrigerants, and the evolution of refrigerants for environmental safety. Adam Kimmel, Koura, [email protected] Show Notes
      The importance of air conditioning (00:00:01) Discussing the significance of air conditioning in vehicles and homes and the commitment of industry professionals. Understanding fluorine in refrigerants (00:01:53) Evolution of refrigerants (00:05:16) Future challenges and developments (00:10:19) Regulations and alternatives (00:14:18) Safety and handling precautions (00:16:10) Engineer training and transparency (00:17:11) Understanding refrigerant nomenclature (00:19:47) Efficiency and GWP (00:25:38) Thanks to our Partners, AAPEX and NAPA TRACS Set your sights on Las Vegas in 2024. Mark your calendar now … November 5th-7th, 2024. AAPEX - Now more than ever. And don’t miss the next free AAPEX webinar. Register now at http://AAPEXSHOW.COM/WEBINAR NAPA TRACS will move your shop into the SMS fast lane with onsite training and six days a week of support and local representation. Find NAPA TRACS on the Web at http://napatracs.com/ Connect with the Podcast: -Follow on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RemarkableResultsRadioPodcast/ -Join Our Private Facebook Community: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1734687266778976 -Subscribe on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/carmcapriotto -Follow on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/carmcapriotto/ -Follow on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/remarkableresultsradiopodcast/ -Follow on Twitter: https://twitter.com/RResultsBiz -Visit the Website: https://remarkableresults.biz/ -Join our Insider List: https://remarkableresults.biz/insider -All books mentioned on our podcasts: https://remarkableresults.biz/books -Our Classroom page for personal or team learning: https://remarkableresults.biz/classroom -Buy Me a Coffee: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/carm -The Aftermarket Radio Network: https://aftermarketradionetwork.com -Special episode collections: https://remarkableresults.biz/collections            
      Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By Transmission Repair

Premium Member Content 

This content is hidden to guests, one of the benefits of a paid membership. Please login or register to view this content.

• By carmcapriotto
      The Weekly Blitz is brought to you by our friends over at Shop Marketing Pros. If you want to take your shop to the next level, you need great marketing. Shop Marketing Pros does top-tier marketing for top-tier shops.
      Click here to learn more about Top Tier Marketing by Shop Marketing Pros and schedule a demo:https://shopmarketingpros.com/chris/
      Check out their podcast here: https://autorepairmarketing.captivate.fm/
      If you would like to join their private Facebook group go here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/autorepairmarketingmastermind
      In this podcast episode, Coach Chris Cotton from Auto Fix Auto Shop Coaching introduces his upcoming book designed to help auto repair shop owners enhance their businesses. The book, tentatively titled "The Auto Fix Auto Shop Coaching Owner's Guide to Everything You Didn't Know About Running a Successful Auto Repair Shop," covers topics like goal setting, financial management, staffing, and adapting to future technologies. Cotton invites shop owners to contribute suggestions and request a free copy. The episode, sponsored by Shop Marketing Pros, aims to motivate the bottom 50% of shop owners to grow and succeed in their industry.
      Chapter 1: What Do You Want as a Shop Owner? (00:02:13) Discusses the different goals and aspirations of shop owners and the importance of defining personal success.
      Chapter 2: Define Your Goals (00:03:08) Highlights the process of setting smart goals, understanding business variables, and keeping an eye on market trends.
      Chapter 3: Barriers to Coaching (00:04:13) Explores the common barriers that prevent shop owners from seeking coaching and offers solutions.
      Chapter 4: Essentials of Being a Successful Auto Repair Shop (00:05:20) Covers the foundational aspects of running a successful auto repair shop, including meeting customer needs and financial stability.
      Chapter 5: The Importance of a Good Chart of Accounts (00:06:18) Emphasizes the significance of a well-maintained chart of accounts for financial management and streamlining.
      Chapter 6: The Vital Role of the Income Statement (00:07:26) Focuses on the income statement and its importance in financial review and standardization.
      Chapter 7: Determining the Right Car Count for Success (00:08:30) Addresses the misconception of needing more cars for sales goals and the importance of optimizing existing processes.
      Chapter 8: The Heartbeat of Auto Repair Businesses (00:09:33) Explores profit centers, margins, and the road to financial health in auto repair businesses.
      Chapter 9: Guest Chapter on Car Count and Marketing (00:10:38) Features insights from a guest expert on car count, marketing, and branding for auto repair shops.
      Chapter 10: Profit Margins and Parts Matrix (00:11:43) Delves into profit margins, parts matrixes, and strategies for maximizing profits in auto repair.
      Chapter 11: Cash Flow (00:12:32) Discusses the unique challenges of cash flow management in auto repair businesses and offers solutions for improving profitability.

Connect with Chris:
      [email protected]
      Phone: 940.400.1008
      www.autoshopcoaching.com
      Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/
      AutoFixAutoShopCoachingYoutube: https://bit.ly/3ClX0ae

#autofixautoshopcoaching #autofixbeautofixing #autoshopprofits #autoshopprofit #autoshopprofitsfirst #autoshopleadership #autoshopmanagement #autorepairshopcoaching #autorepairshopconsulting #autorepairshoptraining #autorepairshop #autorepair #serviceadvisor #serviceadvisorefficiency #autorepairshopmarketing #theweeklyblitz #autofix #shopmarketingpros #autofixautoshopcoachingbook
    • By carmcapriotto
      Industry experts discuss the future of the automotive industry, focusing on training, technology, and business strategies. They explore the importance of simplifying communication, utilizing video content for customer education, and the benefits of in-person versus virtual training. The panel also discusses the challenges of management training and the need for a holistic approach to business issues, emphasizing collaboration and a positive company culture. The episode provides insights into adapting to economic changes and fostering industry growth through shared knowledge and experiences. Matt Fanslow, Riverside Automotive, Red Wing, MN, Diagnosing the Aftermarket A to Z Podcast Hunt Demarest, CPA, Paar Mellis and Associates, Business by the Numbers Podcast Kim and Brian Walker, Shop Marketing Pros, Auto Repair Marketing Podcast Chris Cotton, AutoFix Auto Shop Coaching, Chris Cotton Weekly Blitz Podcast Show Notes: Impact of COVID on business (00:02:37) Analysis of the impact of COVID on business performance and consumer behavior. Economic indicators and business mindset (00:06:40) Discussion of economic indicators, including credit card delinquencies, and the importance of mindset in business performance. Influence of external information (00:11:01) The impact of external information on mindset and decision-making within the industry. Proactive vs. Reactive business approach (00:13:35) The importance of a proactive approach and avoiding a reactive mindset in business management. The importance of long-term perspective (00:15:28) Discussing the need to take a step back and wait for trends to play out before making reactive changes. The impact of timing and consumer confidence (00:15:42) Exploring the delayed impact of business decisions and the importance of considering consumer confidence in financial planning. Dealing with business cycles and financial pressures (00:18:03) Understanding the impact of property taxes and the need to avoid overreacting to short-term financial fluctuations. Planning for financial obligations and cash flow (00:19:17) Discussing the importance of planning for taxes and managing cash flow to avoid financial stress. Balancing long-term trends and short-term anomalies (00:19:38) Emphasizing the need to focus on longer-term business trends and avoid getting caught up in short-term fluctuations. Consumer confidence and economic impact (00:20:53) Analyzing the influence of consumer perception and economic factors on business decisions. The importance of video marketing (00:24:05) Highlighting the significance of video content in marketing strategies and encouraging businesses to embrace video marketing. Community involvement and communication (00:29:02) Exploring the value of community engagement and face-to-face communication in marketing efforts. The customer's questions (00:29:56) The importance of answering customer's questions through video and blog content. Technology and future training (00:31:32) Trends in training, including in-person and virtual options, and the need for diverse training methods. Training workforce and team culture (00:33:06) Discussion on the training workforce, the importance of team culture, and the impact of training on company culture. Commitment to training (00:37:39) The commitment of independent shop owners to training and the challenges in getting employees to participate. Virtual training and lunch and learn (00:40:55) The increase in virtual training and the implementation of lunch and learn sessions with virtual trainers. Business management and training (00:42:07) Comparison of business management to car repair, addressing the need for a holistic approach to business issues.
      Thanks to our Partner, NAPA TRACS NAPA TRACS will move your shop into the SMS fast lane with onsite training and six days a week of support and local representation. Find NAPA TRACS on the Web at http://napatracs.com/ Connect with the Podcast -Follow on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RemarkableResultsRadioPodcast/ -Join Our Private Facebook Community: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1734687266778976 -Subscribe on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/carmcapriotto -Follow on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/carmcapriotto/ -Follow on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/remarkableresultsradiopodcast/ -Follow on Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/RResultsBiz -Join our Insider List: https://remarkableresults.biz/insider -All books mentioned on our podcasts: https://remarkableresults.biz/books -Our Classroom page for personal or team learning: https://remarkableresults.biz/classroom -Buy Me a Coffee: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/carm -The Aftermarket Radio Network: https://aftermarketradionetwork.com -Special episode collections: https://remarkableresults.biz/collections        
    • By carmcapriotto
      As tax season 2024 unfolds, many entrepreneurs find themselves grappling with previous years' unpaid taxes, alongside the looming obligations for the current year. This episode gets into practical solutions for managing tax debt, with real-life advice and expert insights to navigate this challenging aspect of business ownership.
      • Understanding Your Options with the IRS: Setting up a payment plan with the IRS is the most common recourse for those unable to pay taxes in full. Learn about the prerequisites, process, and potential pitfalls. How does the IRS view income versus payroll tax debts? What are the crucial differences that could affect your business?
      • The Truth About Offers in Compromise: Offers in Compromise (OIC) might seem like a silver bullet for tax woes, but they're often misunderstood and not as easily attainable as advertised. I I try to demystify OICs, outlining the qualifications, processes, and the reality behind settling tax debts for "pennies on the dollar." Why are these offers rarely the best solution for most taxpayers?
      • Practical Tips and Real-World Strategies: Beyond understanding IRS mechanisms, this episode provides actionable advice for managing and potentially settling tax debts. From negotiating with state tax authorities to leveraging existing assets and income for a better outcome, learn strategies that could save your business significant amounts of money and stress.
      Thanks to our partners, NAPA TRACS and Promotive
      Did you know that NAPA TRACS has onsite training plus six days a week support?
      It all starts when a local representative meets with you to learn about your business and how you run it.  After all, it's your shop, so it's your choice.
      Let us prove to you that Tracs is the single best shop management system in the business.  Find NAPA TRACS on the Web at NAPATRACS.com
      It’s time to hire a superstar for your business; what a grind you have in front of you. Great news, you don’t have to go it alone. Introducing Promotive, a full-service staffing solution for your shop. Promotive has over 40 years of recruiting and automotive experience. If you need qualified technicians and service advisors and want to offload the heavy lifting, visit www.gopromotive.com.
      Paar Melis and Associates – Accountants Specializing in Automotive Repair
      Visit us Online: www.paarmelis.com
      Email Hunt: [email protected]
      Get a copy of my Book: Download Here
      Aftermarket Radio Network

• Our Sponsors