Quantcast

Joe Marconi

Do You Call Around for Prices?

I spoke to a shop owner the other day, someone I had not spoken with in a while. A discussion came up about part pricing and he told me he still calls 2 to 3 shops for most jobs to get the lowest price. Is this practice still done, given what we know today about productivity, price stratedy and loyalty to our suppliers? I did not want to get into a debate with him, so I let it go.

I would like to hear from shop owners about this.

I find it necessary to do it some. It seems that some vendors give good price to gain your business but then raise prices after a time. O'Reilly did that to us. They use to be our first call but now they are typically our most expensive vendor. Currently we are using two vendors primarily.

I find it necessary to do it some. It seems that some vendors give good price to gain your business but then raise prices after a time. O'Reilly did that to us. They use to be our first call but now they are typically our most expensive vendor. Currently we are using two vendors primarily.

Oh, so you do spot checking from time to time, to see how the market is.

Oh, so you do spot checking from time to time, to see how the market is.

Yes, and I also check if something seems to high or too low.

Being and old parts guy i shop all items from our list of local suppliers. It reduces our costs by 5% to 25% in most cases.Pays better than the stock market or savings account. Sometimes the Dealer has the best price and quality. I thank each parts person for the help and referrals. Sending them Pizza and Donuts from time to time helps as well. B)

I'm only a one-man, very small shop so I comparison shop online. I still buy the vast majority of my parts from one supplier but if there is a large price (or quality) difference I will buy elsewhere. Doing it online saves a lot of time and headache. Considering that inventories are updated in real-time, I also know who has the part in stock. There is one local vendor that isn't online so I don't buy very much from them at all.

• Like 1

With our management program, it shows all the prices of the different suppliers as long as you have it programmed to show them.

i do most of the part pricing online, nexpart.com is pretty good, also, napa, autopart international, worldpac, and northernparts have online order systems.

I also aggressively negotiate my parts discount from the brand dealers to at least a margin of 33% to 35%.

Edited by HarrytheCarGeek
  • Like 1