Quantcast

Flash Sale + Social Proof

Hello from a noob

ray

Hey guys, I am a relatively young shop owner (31 next week). I currently have a single location shop in Baltimore MD. I started the company in 2006 out of my 20x20 home garage, and now have a 10000 square foot facility. We specialize only in European automotive performance, maintenance, and repair. We basically have 3 divisions here in our shop. We have a web store, a service repair shop, and our performance division. We have grown incredibly fast, and that is why i am here. i hired general managers to operate the administration of the company and always stuck to what i did best, working on cars. While those guys were really good and loyal, they inadvertently handicapped our company because they were without my support, and made some poor decisions, and were forced to be reactive instead of proactive. I re-took control of the administration of the company and I have very big goals for growth. I am here to learn from you much more experienced guys on how to further do this. We kind of differ from most general shops, but the core operating remains the same. We manufacture our own parts, and stock many other performance parts. We also have international relationships with companies that distribute our products. We also burn a lot of money in R&D as well as engineering and performance equipment. I was not fortunate to have any financial backing starting this and pretty much built it as I could. This shop is my life's work, just like most of you, and I am truly terrified of making mistakes that can cost me and my personnel dearly. i look forward to knowing you guys and receiving guidance from you. My goals are to have a very state of the art facility for my development, and multiple franchise locations for my service shop. But I need to get the groundwork built first. Its pretty sad that we are at this level and I am just learning to properly run a business. Thanks for reading and I will be up for a while browsing!

Shop AutoPartsToys.com for all Your Car, Truck and SUV Accessories at Direct Factory Warehouse Pricing

Shop AutoPartsToys.com for all Your Car, Truck and SUV Accessories at Direct Factory Warehouse Pricing

Welcome to the site Ray. As a young shop owner myself (35) I am encouraged by your success in this business. I have also learned a lot from the "older" owners on this site that have been doing this business longer than you and I have even been alive. Ask questions and don't be a stranger here.

Ray, I have been around the block a few more times I care to remember, and I can tell from the way you express yourself that you have great potential. I am glad you found AutoShopOwner.com. I hope you stay active in the forums; there are a lot of fine members with so much to offer this industry. The power of our industry is our collective knowledge.

Remember, success is not a destination; it's a never ending journey.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Topics

• By carmcapriotto
      How do your service advisors close their sales with a customer? Are they pre-scheduling for future maintenance appointments? Brett Beachler’s business has a 40% close rate for pre-scheduled maintenance appointments. He discusses how to make your current customers, your future customers.  Grab a pen and paper or head to the show notes on this episode. You don’t want to miss Brett’s closing presentation that can be implemented in your business.
      Brett Beachler, Beachler’s Vehicle Care & Repair, Peoria, IL. Listen to Brett’s previous episodes HERE
      Key Talking Points
      Customer close procedure/presentation Try to understand what the other person sees and not just what your shop wants Factory specified maintenance review on cars- review the history on Carfax, review what the car needs according to the factory maintenance specifications. The system will actually calculate a date when it thinks you'll be due. Ask what are your plans on the car?  Is the car paid for? Review with the customer what your technicians did. Solidify them saying “You guys are my guy.” Lay the groundwork for them to say “You know what? You just gave me all the right reasons to make an appointment 4, 5, 6, 7 months in advance” Send a text to them about a week ahead  What you don't want to do- run the actual credit card amount and then try to explain it to the customer the factory maintenance and review etc.. As soon as they run that transaction, they're done.  You must direct your advisors the best way they will get the highest batting average for pre-scheduling. Don't start with a closed transaction.  If you don't capture them at that closed sale then the next thing is the email and the text, if we don't catch 'em there, then they call up three weeks later and say, “Hey, I just wanna schedule an oil change. And we go, oh, whoa, whoa, whoa, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, you got all this factory maintenance dude. You wanna do it?”   
      Connect with the Podcast:
      Aftermarket Radio Network

Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Check out today's partners:

Set your sights on Las Vegas in 2022. Mark your calendar now … November 1-3, 2022, AAPEX - Now more than ever. And don’t miss the next free AAPEX webinar. Register now at AAPEXSHOW.COM/WEBINAR.

More Time. More Profit. Transform your shop at getshopware.com/carm

Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By Joe Marconi
      Now that I am not a shop owner, I had to make an appointment to have the A/C checked on my wife's car. While the vehicle was being serviced, the tech noticed a bubble on the tire. I told the service advisor to get me a good set of Michelins.  He said that might be hard since he had trouble getting some sizes and models.  My wife drives a Mercedes E350. 
      Are you seeing tire-related shortages too? 

• By carmcapriotto
      Daniel Griffith, Wally's Precision Auto Care, Las Vegas, NV
      Key Talking Points
      Finding, identifying, and connecting with the ideal customer and naming them (Jennifer and Clara)- what books are they reading? Who are they following on social media? What are their expectations?  Build out each phase of the customer experience process, and look at the highs and lows What parts of the process are easy and what parts are hard? Simplify that down as much as possible If something's not working, change it. It's that simple Hiring new employees- asked his current employees what they like about their job, then used their words on the job descriptions “Culture eats strategies for breakfast.” The average tenure of his current team is over 12 years  
      Connect with the Podcast:
      Aftermarket Radio Network

Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Check out today's partners:

Set your sights on Las Vegas in 2022. Mark your calendar now … November 1-3, 2022, AAPEX - Now more than ever. And don’t miss the next free AAPEX webinar. Register now at AAPEXSHOW.COM/WEBINAR.

More Time. More Profit. Transform your shop at getshopware.com/carm

Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By Transmission Repair

Premium Member Content 

This content is hidden to guests, one of the benefits of a paid membership. Please login or register to view this content.

• Grammarly Writing Support
    • By Joe Marconi
      October 4 - October 6, 2022
      Fly with the Eagles
      The Industry’s Most Powerful Shop Management Course
      This is a 3-day course, with each day devoted to a new topic, but you have the option to pick and choose the days you’d like to attend.
      October 4th-6th, 7:30am – 5:00pm EST                                                                                            
      After attending this comprehensive course for shop owners you will be able to
      Improve your skills in time management, leadership, and goal setting Fully understand your shop’s financials and key performance indicators Find and hire superstar service advisors and technicians Turn your existing employees into self-motivated superstars Fill your bays with the right kind of customers through new marketing programs Utilize your step-by-step Action Plan to ensure your ongoing success This AMI-accredited course has one objective: to help you create a more profitable, successful business! Bob Cooper built this course from the ground up based on his own success as a shop owner and his experience in helping thousands of other shop owners go right to the top.
      This series is now presented by Joe Marconi and Kevin Vaught, who have both experienced extraordinary success as shop owners as well, so it’s no surprise that Fly With the Eagles II is heralded by many industry leaders as the most powerful shop management series available to shop owners and general managers.
      To learn more and to register: https://eliteworldwide.com/event/fly-with-the-eagles/

• Our Sponsors