Quantcast

Recruiting Talent

Where do you guys draw the ethical line on recruiting employees? Is it unethical to pursue a competitor's employee and make him an offer?

I had a lively debate recently with a friend about this and it got me thinking. It is my position that there is no problem with trying to hire a talented technician away from his current employer if it is done in an upfront manner. If I can offer him a better opportunity and I don't resort to dishonest means in offering it, then I feel that I acted ethically.

I recently heard that one of my competitor's top mechanics was a little discontent with his job. I heard this through one of my parts supplier reps. I did not solicit the information nor did I ask how he found out this intel. He knew that I was looking for an additional mechanic and he casually brought it up over a morning coffee bull session. I have a mutual acquaintance with said mechanic so I contacted that person and told them to let the mechanic know that I had a proposal for him if he had an interest. A few days later the mechanic called me and we set up a meeting. I was impressed with the guy and I made him an offer to come and work for me. He thought it over for a few days before calling me back and declining, stating that he had come to an understanding with his current boss. He thanked me for the offer and I told him to let me know if he ever changed his mind. The end.

Did I do anything wrong in this case? My friend seems to think that I did, that I was unfair to my competitor. Its not like I walked into the guy's shop handing out business cards. I feel like I went through the proper channels. Agree or disagree?

Quality techs are getting harder to find. With all the new technology and a different work ethic today, it seems the work force is in need of competent people.

As far as crossing the line, if a tech is not happy he will look for another job somewhere. If it happens to be your shop, that's life. I have had techs from other shops come to me for a job. If I know the other shop owner, I ask the tech if it would be ok to call his present boss. His reaction will dictate his true feelings. Sometimes, the tech is the problem, not the other shop owner.

It's a delicate situation. I would not actively seek a tech from a shop that I know, but if he comes to me, that's another story.

• 2 months later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Topics

• By Joe Marconi
      The word OSHA makes many shop owners cringe. 
      I was lucky enough years back to have my insurance agent suggest I perform a voluntary OSHA inspection. A private company did it at the time.   
      They found tons of violations; some we knew would be flagged, but most we did not. 
      Have you ever had an OSHA inspection? And what can shop owners do to protect themselves? 
    • By Joe Marconi
      This topic has been discussed before, but I think it's more relative today than ever. 
      Smart auto shop owners understand they need to constantly recruit, but what about keeping the employees we have now? 
      Let's revisit this topic and discuss your retention strategies and other comments on keeping your valued employees. 

• By Joe Marconi
      A shop owner friend of mine told me that one of his top techs came to him to let him know that a shop across town contacted him to recruit him. The other shop offered more money and other benefits. This is not the first time I have heard this.  
      While recruiting is something shop owners need to do on a consistent basis, when does it cross the line?  Or does it? 

• By carmcapriotto
      Are you doing flat rate, salary, or a hybrid model? What are the pros and cons of all three? My panel brings light to this hot topic from different perspectives. The consensus from the group is there is no cookie-cutter model on pay plans you must factor in your culture and your team.
      Jeff Grassman, Carsmart Auto Service, Sumner, WA
      Carlo Sabucco, Sil’s Complete Auto Care Centre, Oakville, ON. Carlo’s previous episodes HERE.
      Dave Schedin, CompuTrek Automotive Management Systems. Dave’s previous episodes HERE
      Key Talking Points
      Flat rate shouldn’t be used to fix problems A flat rate feels secure when there is a lot of work to be done, and there is tangible potential in front of them that they can get paid for. They fear when they don’t see the car count or have advisors who can’t sell and cater to presenting to “not get a no” from Mr. or Mrs. Jones. The hybrid model: performance-based pay. It has a base to lead those with hourly fear to feel a bit of security and the abundance reward that can be created from getting paid for producing more than 8 hours per day. All pay systems are good systems if the shop wins, the customer wins, and the employee wins. The mindset behind flat rate is “ a worker is worth their wages.” They have the opportunity to create an increase which is about an abundance mindset. This mindset motivates itself. The misconception that hourly is “safer” creates a scarcity or fear-based mindset. It always needs prodding to produce higher results at the level flat-rate can produce. “Shorten the racetrack” by investing in multiple tools  Get your techs excited about their efficiencies and quality of life Ask your employees what their ‘love language' is  
      Connect with the Podcast

Aftermarket Radio Network
      Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Check out today's partners: Shop-Ware: More Time. More Profit. Shop-Ware Shop Management getshopware.com       Delphi Technologies: Keeping current on the latest vehicle systems and how to repair them is a must for today’s technicians. DelphiAftermarket.com
      Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • Advertise your services or products to passers-by attracting them towards your business
    • By Joe Marconi
      As shop owners, we are constantly finding ways to motivate our employees, and often we think it's money. Money does factor into motivation, but don't employees want other things? 
      If we knew what motivated our employees, we stand a better chance of keeping them and improving morale and production.
      So, how do we find out? Do we ask them? Would they tell us? 

• Our Sponsors

general heavy-duty 728x90

general heavy-duty 468x60

general heavy-duty 250x250