Quantcast

Start LLC for $0 at IncFile

Where Do You Mount 2 New Tires; Front or Rear?

Here’s a question that has caused me to rethink my position many times. When installing only 2 new tires, should you put them on the front or rear? I know the differences between FWD, AWD, 4WD and RWD, but according to an article I read in a trade magazine, it really does not make a difference what vehicle you are referring to, if you are only replacing 2 tires, they should always be installed on the rear.

What are your thoughts?

general heavy-duty 728x90

general heavy-duty 468x60

general heavy-duty 250x250

I always place the new ones on the front because I wouldn't want to hear about a customer blowing out a worn front tire and loosing control and wrecking the vehicle. Its easier to control a flat rear tire than a flat front tire in my experience.

New tires should always go on the rear. I was skeptical until I got to try it out on a test track at the Michelin Plant. Makes a big difference when driving in the rain. To protect you and your customer always put the new tires on the rear.

Watch this video it is true!

• Like 1

I read that article too, and several others. They all said to put the tires with the most tread on the rear. The article I read even referenced a lawsuit from a woman's family in Texas that is suing because thew tire place should have known to put the new tires on the rear.

Here's another piece of info from Cooper.....

Cooper Tire Service Bulletin113.pdf

Maybe we should be selling all 4 tires, unless the other 2 are in "like new" condition? There are too many legal issues these days. We all want to do the right thing and respect the customer’s financial position, but do we compromise our business when the customer states they cannot go for all 4 tires, and we settle on selling them only 2?

• 4 weeks later...

WOW! I had heard new tires on the rear, but I was always of the opinion if it were my car i would want the best tires on the front in case of a blowout until now. Then again I understand the importance of having good tires in the first place.

When my customers ask me about used tires I tell them used tires are tires that someone else threw away.

I always place the new ones on the front because I wouldn't want to hear about a customer blowing out a worn front tire and loosing control and wrecking the vehicle. Its easier to control a flat rear tire than a flat front tire in my experience.

If your customer has two worn out tires after you replace two, why do you only replace two? And don't play the "They don't have the money card."

This is exactly what I am talking about. I think that the best tires should go on the front because in the event of a blow out on the rear the car can still be steered but we are opening ourselves up to lawsuits if we do that.

How can this be exactly what you are talking about? You are talking about a blow out. The basis of the whole discussion is driving in general, a world of difference between the two. Watch the video they explain EXACTLY why you mount the worst tires on the front. If the worst tires are bald, cords showing, in bad enough condition to worry about a blow out, then they are UNSAFE and you should call it out because of that. Otherwise a blow out could happen on any tire at anytime, not just when the best tires are on the rear.

Maybe we should be selling all 4 tires, unless the other 2 are in "like new" condition? There are too many legal issues these days. We all want to do the right thing and respect the customer’s financial position, but do we compromise our business when the customer states they cannot go for all 4 tires, and we settle on selling them only 2?

The customer will only buy two tires and you are held responsible for their vehicle being involved in a crash, what's next? You're liable when they buy the cheapest round-and-black they can get and then crash because they didn't have good enough traction to make it up that hill in the winter and slid backwards into a crash? Well you were willing to sell them the cheapo tires weren't you? Might as well close up shop right now because you just can't fix stupid, no matter how hard you try. The customer is too cheap to listen to you and your experience, the ambulance chasers don't care about anything but their BMW payment, I mean contingency fee, and the courts are too stupid to see the real condition. After all you are a business so that means you're rich, right? You just can't fix stupid.

And by the way, no I do not have that dismal an outlook as to close up shop, but the scenario is all too true.

• 2 months later...