Quantcast

Joe Marconi

Alternative to Lead Wheel Weights?

Alternative to Lead Wheel Weights?

Has anyone started using alternatives to lead wheel weights? I know many states have already banned the use of lead weights (California, Illinois, Maine, Minnesota, Vermont and Washington) and many are soon to follow. There is a lot of talk about zinc, steel and other composites.

My state, New York, is considering the ban too.

If any shop is using wheel weights other than lead, I would appreciate any feedback.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• Auto Care Association Supports Supreme Court Decision Allowing States to Collect Online Sales Tax

Auto Care Association Supports Supreme Court Decision Allowing States to Collect Online Sales Tax POSTED BY AUTO CARE NEWS ON JUNE 21, 2018 The Auto Care Association applauds today’s decision by the Supreme Court to permit states to collect sales tax on purchases of products made over the Internet. The 5-4 decision means that online sellers will now be on a level playing field with brick and mortar retailers regarding charging sales tax. The Auto Care Association had filed an amicus brief with other retail groups urging the Supreme Court to hear the case based on the price advantage that the current system provided on-line sellers. The decision overturns a previous Supreme Court decision that required companies to have a physical presence in the state where the purchaser resided in order to charge sales tax. 

“This is an important decision for many of Auto Care’s retail members and we are pleased that the Supreme Court saw the unfairness in the current system and determined to make everyone play by the same rules,” said Aaron Lowe, senior vice president, regulatory and government affairs, Auto Care Association. “We hope that implementation of the sales tax will be done uniformly across state lines to ensure a fair and efficient system of tax collection.

By Alex, in Automotive Products & Services

• 2 replies
    • Laser pointer on Wheel balancer

I have an older coats wheel balancer. Works great and is accurate. The problem is that on modern car 19-22" wheels it becomes really hard to eyeball the correct place on the wheel for the weight. Extra spins become common because the last weight was a few degrees off the mark. Newer balancers have laser pointers that make it easy. Has anyone retrofitted a pointer to their older balancer? Did you buy a kit or did you build something? I've done some searching but I can't find anyone that's done this before. I feel like it would be really handy.  

By Junior, in Automotive Shop Tools & Equipment

• 2 replies
    • Wheel Alignment lifts

Our shop is being refitted with all new equipment. Up for discussion is the choice of wheel alignment lifts. The local distribution here in Hong Kong, has two brands on offer: Hunter, who are well known and reputable, and Ravaglioli, who are well-represented, but relatively unknown to me. Does anyone here have any information to share on the pro's and cons of these two?   I've had mixed results with Italian equipment in the past, some good, some tragic. Hoping to avoid any unnecessary shedding of tears, blood and cash.

By HK Blackbird, in Automotive Shop Tools & Equipment

• 3 replies
    • Hello from sunny Southern California!

Hello all! I've worked as a tech and, more recently, tech / part time manager at a very busy shop for close to 7 years now. The owner approached me a few weeks back with talks of retiring next January and selling the business to me. I'm in my mid-30s and have been working towards a similar opportunity since I started down this path almost 20 years ago. Spent my younger years bouncing from place to place, city to city, and state to state. Finally landed in CA by way of MI and am thoroughly enjoying the lack of rusty bolts. Looking forward to using the search function (unheard of no doubt!) first and foremost, but also gathering as much wisdom as I can with questions of my own. Maybe I can even lend a hand somewhere myself, who knows? Here's a preliminary thank you to the staff and members. Seems to be just the place I was looking for. Any quick tips are much appreciated as I begin this adventure.   -Travis

By Travis Alsgard, in New Member's Area

• 4 replies
    • Well Established Automotive Repair Shop In Washington For Sale

10 bay brake, alignment, tire service shop. Further information is available on request, please contact seller below for more details. View the full article

By AutoShopOwner, in Automotive Business Opportunities

• 0 replies
  • AutoShopOwner Sponsors