Quantcast

[SOLVED] 96 TOYOTA CAMRY

Heres the deal...... Only installed a new oil pump. Put it all back together, no troubles, now it's as if it has an anti-theft kill start is preventing getting this pile out of our shop. We have tried replacing the computer and a multitude of other things. Completely at a loss. HELP!

Heres the deal...... Only installed a new oil pump. Put it all back together, no troubles, now it's as if it has an anti-theft kill start is preventing getting this pile out of our shop. We have tried replacing the computer and a multitude of other things. Completely at a loss. HELP!

Duh - 1996 Toyota Camry Le, 209,212 miles, 2.2

Duh - 1996 Toyota Camry Le, 209,212 miles, 2.2

I took a look at the prints... It doesn't show a factory alarm system on that 96 model.... (Verify by unlocking a door with the key) There are a couple of things you could try first before parts swaping. Disconnect the MAF and try to start it... Check fuel pressure and volume... Try disconnecting the tach signal from the dash... The tach is a straight shot to the dash from the engine...

Don't know if it's any help... but you could try these tips and see what it does. Gonz

My tech replaced the oil pump. When he starts the engine, it does turn over, it does start, for about 5 seconds. The engine sounds great, then it just turns off just as if we turned the key. Some keys have a chip, as with our personal truck, my key has not been programed and therefore when I turn on my husbands truck with my unprogramed key, the engine starts for about 3-5 second and then turns off. Same with this Camry. In checking on the internet, people talked about alarm systems for this year, make & model.

My tech replaced the oil pump. When he starts the engine, it does turn over, it does start, for about 5 seconds. The engine sounds great, then it just turns off just as if we turned the key. Some keys have a chip, as with our personal truck, my key has not been programed and therefore when I turn on my husbands truck with my unprogramed key, the engine starts for about 3-5 second and then turns off. Same with this Camry. In checking on the internet, people talked about alarm systems for this year, make & model.

Not sure if you got this one figured out yet, im tryuing to remember twhich system the 96 had, but if it is the system that gets its ne signal from the crank gear, you might want to take a good look at the gear and sensor. If the oil pump was replaced maybe a tooth on the crank gear was damaged when removed, or makesure the wire going to the sensor is ok. again, I might be thinking of the wrong system(different yeara) Im at home, and dont have the repair manual in front of me, but thought i would just throw out a suggestion for you. I can look into it further if you need any help, I work at a toyota/Lexus dealer, so I have some resources there.

Let me know if I can help.

Not sure if you got this one figured out yet, im tryuing to remember twhich system the 96 had, but if it is the system that gets its ne signal from the crank gear, you might want to take a good look at the gear and sensor. If the oil pump was replaced maybe a tooth on the crank gear was damaged when removed, or makesure the wire going to the sensor is ok. again, I might be thinking of the wrong system(different yeara) Im at home, and dont have the repair manual in front of me, but thought i would just throw out a suggestion for you. I can look into it further if you need any help, I work at a toyota/Lexus dealer, so I have some resources there.

Let me know if I can help.

I really appreciate the ideas! We tried replacing the crank sensor. Engine would still start up, run for about 5 secs. then quietly turn off. I will have him take a look, if he hasn't already.

• 4 weeks later...

Do you have access to IATN or Identifx?

[/quote

This is kind of late, but.... The mystery was solved on the Toyota Camry!! With the help of another mechanic in town it was found to be the Tone Ring behind the pump. Missing two teeth. Screwed the timing up preventing the engine from starting. Thanks for all the suggestions.

• 1 month later...