Quantcast

Start LLC for $0 at IncFile

Infinity Idle Problems, Check engine light

We had an Infinity the other day with a high idle problem and a logged error for idle control. We diagnosed it as a bad idle control motor which took out the computer. The problem is that the computer needed to be re-programmed. So we had to send the car to the dealer for the reprogramming. We are seeing more and more of this.

What are your plans to compete in the future? Should we concede and just send these cars back to the dealer?

My plans are to own the laptop test equipment to do the programming myself. The factory systems are becoming more and more cost efficient. Honda, Toyota and Nissan systems are less than $1500 for each system and then you have access to the same diagnostic equipment the dealers have.

Isn't that programmable via J2534? The tools aren't that cost prohibitive, but if they are only used once or twice then cost becomes a factor. It could become a profit center for you if you are the only independent in town with re-flash capabilities.

Infinity is one car we will not invest in equipment for. The closest dealer to us is 130 miles away and we see very few Infinities here. We will work on them to the extent that we are able.

The only car maker we flash is Toyota. The question is how often do we need to do this and are we able to get a return on our investment? Also, what vehicle makes do we buy the programs for?

I think we as business people will need to make some hard choices in the future. I had a Volvo last summer with a bad window motor, only to find out that after I installed the motor, it had to be re-programmed. This is a deliberate act to get that car back to the dealer.

• 5 years later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Topics

• By Eric Roberts
      Firstly let me say that I an just a regular guy from the UK who is the owner of a seven bay service centre/garage. I am not a financial expert. The dreaded inflation is upon us again. For the guys as old as me then this is nothing new. Back in the 70,s we had 15% inflation, but we all got by and lived for better trading days. Here in the UK we have always looked up to the USA because of your business prowess. So what do you guys look out as your worst enemy!
      When prices are going up then I find that the gap opens between rich and the poor's disposable income. So this question will effect garage owners in different areas. My garage is in a poor area with many immigrant families who drive cars. So this means we have to be more flexible with pricing. Finding out if your customer can afford that service ! For this reason we devised a three tier service pricing structure. This has also the effect of not loosing your profit margins. 
      The lowest price should include an oil and filter change and a general vehicle check over. This way we find the customer will perhaps be able to afford a service and your profit margins wont drop. This is just one small idea that we carry out! What do you guys do in these times of high inflation ? 
    • By Joe Marconi
      Wishing everyone a Happy Labor Day!  I hope you take the time to spend with family and friends. You deserve a little R&R.

• By Joe Marconi
      The word OSHA makes many shop owners cringe. 
      I was lucky enough years back to have my insurance agent suggest I perform a voluntary OSHA inspection. A private company did it at the time.   
      They found tons of violations; some we knew would be flagged, but most we did not. 
      Have you ever had an OSHA inspection? And what can shop owners do to protect themselves? 
    • By Joe Marconi
      There's a lot of talk these days about a 4-day work week.  Some discussions include the entire shop only being opened for 4 days, other discussions talk about rotating employees to work only four days, while the shop remains open for 5 or 6 days. 
      I am on the fence about this. I do see the benefits, but it's not as easy as some may think.
      Thoughts, Comments? 

• Advertise your services or products to passers-by attracting them towards your business
    • By planestrainandcars
      780Ft Lbs.  The original monster. 
      CHECK OUT THE POWER
      Tested Working. See video in listing description. Refurbished Ingersoll Rand Impact, 1/2" anvil, cleaned with a brand new motor and fresh IR lubrication (Ingersoll Rand 107 and 67-4T greases). Ready to go for 10 more years.
      Includes Impact, Battery, and Charger.

• Our Sponsors