Quantcast

general heavy-duty 728x90

general heavy-duty 468x60

general heavy-duty 250x250

Waste Oil Recycling

Is anyone else having to pay for used oil recycling? The local company that picks up oil for recycling has decided that it needs to charge for a service that used to be free. They now want $.32/quart for waste oil pickup. That is over $70 for 55 gallons. They take this oil and sell it to re-refiners but they said that no-one is buying anymore and they are having to store it in rail cars. According to state law I am not allowed to charge my customers for oil recycling (I'd have to hide the cost in the price of new oil). I'm thinking I will have to get an oil burner so I can dispose of my own used oil. Anyone in other parts of the country having this problem?

general heavy-duty 728x90

general heavy-duty 468x60

general heavy-duty 250x250

Here in Indiana they are paying us 35 cents per gallon. At no time during the 11 years we have been open have I ever had to pay to have oil disposed. It has either been free or they have paid us.

We have a waste oil heater and burn most of our waste oil. The oil we dispose of we get anywhere from 15 cents to 30 cents a gallon depending on the going price, but never ever had to pay someone to get rid of it.

Safety Kleen picks up mine. When you have more than 100 gallons they will pick up for free. I am not sure what the cutoff is for how much they take before they actually pay you for it but I won't hit that cutoff anytime soon. I have 3 55 gallon drums and I call them when they are full. Every couple of months for me.

Safety Kleen picks up mine. When you have more than 100 gallons they will pick up for free. I am not sure what the cutoff is for how much they take before they actually pay you for it but I won't hit that cutoff anytime soon. I have 3 55 gallon drums and I call them when they are full. Every couple of months for me.

Are they any other companies in your area that pick up waste oil. We no longer deal with Safety Kleen. We deal with a lubricate supplier that sells antifreeze, washer solvent (all in bulk) and other chemicals, and they also pick up our waste oil. And, like I said, they also pay us the the waste oil. We give them 250 to 400 gallons at a time and few times a year,that may be the difference.

There are a few other companies around here that would pick up the oil but Safety Kleen was the only one that bothered to call me back. I guess other ones didn't want to be bothered with my small amount. I do get my parts washer serviced by them as well as my anti-freeze picked up by them. The parts washer service costs money bu the rest of the fluid pickups are free to me. I don't have any more room to store waste oil so I am just glad to have a place to get rid of it and have a record of where it went.

• 2 years later...

I would also check to see if you have a Heritage-Crystal Clean.

http://www.crystal-clean.com/

They don't charge me for the oil filter pickup. I paid an installation fee for the 55 gallon drum and then the pickup and replacements of the drums are free. I also switched to them for my oil pickup as they are paying .60 a gallon for used oil as compared to Safety-Kleens .17 a gallon. They are also considerably cheaper on the parts washer solvent.

• 4 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Topics

• By Joe Marconi
      Most communities have a variety of repair shops, dealerships, and franchise models.  Do you consider them the competition, or colleagues?
      Do you think it's worth it to get to know other auto businesses in your community?  To share and exchange business ideas and strategies?

• By Joe Marconi
      Years back it was common to perform oil changes every 3 to 5,000 miles, and we would see customers 4 to 5 times a year. Today, you are lucky if you see customers once a year for an oil change service. 
      So, what are you doing to maintain customers on a more consistent basis? 
    • By Joe Marconi
      According to studies from Northwestern, Birdeye, and other companies, people are most influenced by reviews with an average rating of 4.2 to 4.5 stars out of 5 — making this the ideal average star rating for purchase probability.
      Having all 5-star Google reviews can work against you.  People may not trust a company with all 5-star reviews. No business is perfect, and you cannot please everyone. Also, people make mistakes.
      Having negative reviews is not the end of the world, in fact, it may actually help your business. 
      Thoughts? Comments? 

• By carmcapriotto
      The gang’s all here; we have the entire Aftermarket Radio Network together for an important episode inspired by the movie Moneyball. We all have experience with people who are not our top performers, but are we better to have them on the team than not? You know them; they are consistent, reliable, steady, and contributors. Are they worth replacing? Will they become the best or top performers, or do they help strengthen our overall performance? A great discussion among your peers.
      Hunt Demarest, CPA, Paar Mellis and Associates, Business by the Numbers Podcast
      Matt Fanslow, Riverside Automotive, Red Wing, MN, Diagnosing the Aftermarket A to Z Podcast
      Kim and Brian Walker, Shop Marketing Pros, Auto Repair Marketing Podcast
      Chris Cotton, AutoFix Auto Shop Coaching, Chris Cotton Weekly Blitz Podcast
      Key Talking Points
      What REALLY contributes to production? Simpson Paradox Simon Sinec points out that Navy Seal teams value Trustworthiness far, far more than Performance.  VIDEO HERE  Tech productivity is one of the most important aspects of business, but how can these numbers skew what that employee is really doing (helping others, sharing duties outside of production, etc.) Are there some numbers or metrics that actually can look too good, which could cause an issue for growth or retention Numbers don’t lie, but sometimes can be misleading. Do your numbers match up with what you are trying to do with the business? You have to have your head up and eyes wide open to make sure you can identify the "doers" in your group.  Do you have a scorecard for success for your technicians? Pay plans; incentive greatness Who are your ‘support people' to contribute and make the whole picture better Culture is contagious Training when hiring- Weaknesses- be honest with eachother Fine balance- profitability aspect, you can’t have a shop full of unicorns Removing obstacles  
      Connect with the Podcast

Aftermarket Radio Network
      Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Check out today's partners: Shop-Ware: More Time. More Profit. Shop-Ware Shop Management getshopware.com       Delphi Technologies: Keeping current on the latest vehicle systems and how to repair them is a must for today’s technicians. DelphiAftermarket.com
      Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • Advertise your services or products to passers-by attracting them towards your business
    • By ASOG Podcast
      Do You Want To Own A Business or Work On Cars?

• Our Sponsors