Quantcast

Flash Sale + Social Proof

Trouble with Throttle Body 2003 Infinity i35

I think is problem is worth sharing.

While removing the intake plenum on a 2003 i35 infinity to replace the rear plugs, the tech noticed that the throttle body was heavily carboned-up. The tech cleaned the throttle body. After he reinstalled the plenum, he noticed that the idle would not come down below 1000rpm and after 5 minutes the check engine light came on logging an error code for RMP out of range.

After unsuccessfully attempting to perform an idle relearn through the scanner, we concluded that the throttle body had failed. We researched the problem and found a lot of know issues with this system. Apparently, throughout the years, the carbon build up closes around the throttle plate reducing the normal air flow and the computer makes corrections. By cleaning the throttle plate, now the idle is too high and for some reason the computer cannot bring down the idle.

The fix: replace the throttle body motor and perform idle relearn.

Try explaining this to the customer!

Thank you for that one. I cleaned the throttle body on an 03 Altima and had an idle problem. There is a way on that car to mechanically perform the throttle stop position so it would idle correctly. I didn't know I had to do that one :)

We too have cleaned many v6 Nissans, performed the idle relearn through the scanner with no problems. But this one bit us in the "you know what"!

At a class that one of our tech attended recently we were told that on certain late models of the Infinitis and Nissans that the throttle body needs to be removed from the car prior to cleaning. The spray used on the throttle body could get down into the throttle body motor and damage it if the cleaning is done on the vehicle.

That could be what happened. We need to be more careful with all newer vehicles. The learning process can sometimes be costly.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Topics

• By carmcapriotto
      Another informative episode with NAPA’s VP of Emerging Technology, Susan Starnes. We talk about NAPA’s support for all their customers as they focus on providing tools, parts, and training to meet all the future technology needs so we can seize every opportunity to repair the newest high-tech vehicles.
      Susan Starnes, Vice President, Emerging Markets of Genuine Parts Company
      Key Talking Points
      General discussion about the penetration of EVs, ADAS, connectivity Her team works closely with training NexDrive program- equipt shops to service EV’s and hybrids, started in the Netherlands in 2020. Looking to roll out and test in the US soon. Having products, training and communication and support around the program.  
      Connect with the Podcast:
      Aftermarket Radio Network

Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Check out today's partner:
      Learn more about NAPA AutoCare and the benefits of being part of the NAPA family by visiting www.NAPAAutoCare.com

Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By Joe Marconi
      I have heard from a few shop owners, that they are afraid to send their techs to a training event because they fear that they will be recruited by another shop.  How do you feel about this?
      Perhaps it's time to sit down with your techs and see if all is ok?  People quit for a number of reasons. Should we get ahead of this, if this is a real problem these days? 

• By ASOG Podcast
      Do You Really Need Tech School To Start An Auto Repair Shop?
    • By carmcapriotto
      Nothing beats live in-person industry events. There is power in the collaborative minds from around the country in one room. The podcast attended the 2022 Elite Invitational in San Diego and we recorded some incredible stories with essential aftermarket voices. At the end of the conference, I had the idea to grab Jim Murphy, Gene Morrill, and Joe Marconi for a recap of the event and their perspectives on our industry. Keep listening, you have the best seat in the house right next to these 3 aftermarket icons.
      Gene Morrill, Certified Automotive in Glendora, CA. Business Development Coach with Elite Top Shop 360, Elite Worldwide. Gene’s previous episodes HERE
      Joe Marconi, Executive Council Member, Elite Worldwide. Joe’s Episodes HERE. Jim Murphy, Pro Service Leader, Elite Pro Service Program, Elite Worldwide. Jim's previous episodes HERE
      Key Talking Points
      Guiding, not telling what to do Takeaways- more young people attending, non Elite clients attending, finding your ideal customer (the 20%), customer base still referring to technicians as ‘mechanics’ The Bob Cooper Experience- presence and ethics Implementation is the key to acquiring knowledge Changing demographic with customers and employees Movement of shop owners coming from different careers Always move forward, be inspired, attend training, be focused on your employees, empower your employees to create customer experiences, brainstorm opportunities  
      Connect with the Podcast:
      Aftermarket Radio Network

Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Check out today's partner:
      Learn more about NAPA AutoCare and the benefits of being part of the NAPA family by visiting www.NAPAAutoCare.com

Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • Advertise your services or products to passers-by attracting them towards your business
    • By Joe Marconi
      It's hard to believe that it's almost a year since COVID-19 hit.  And for many businesses, and repair shops, it's been a challenge.  While many areas around the country have not seen a downturn, there are other areas that have been harshly impacted.
      Areas such as mine have seen a decline in miles driven per customer of up to 50% or more.  Just consider working from home, the drastic decline of going out to dine and other activities, a decrease in after-school activities, a decease in youth sports, buying online and every other action that has become the norm, and it adds up to a negative impact for so many shops.
      NOW, you know ME.  I always put a positive spin on everything.  At this too shall pass. COVID-19 will be behind us and we need to prepare for great times ahead.  
      I urge everyone to focus on people: Your family, your employees, your customers, and the community.
      With regard to your customers, they will remember you and their experience long after the water pump or mass air filter you replaced in their car.  
      If you are having a decline in sales, here a few tips:  Establish your new goals, look at your expenses, reevaluate your breakeven, make sure your labor and part margins are in line.  BUT, never forget that your most important strategy is the culture of your business. 
      Lastly, cherish every minute with family.  This Crisis has brought Clarity. And let's never forget the things that money cannot buy. 

• Our Sponsors