Quantcast

LABOR GUIDES

xrac

• 5 months later...

The journalists that I have know are not people I am especially impressed with as a rule. The few times I have given interviews it has been amazing how much stuff is not reported correctly. Yet, these people with their biases, incompetences, and political leanings to a great deal determine public perception about our profession.

I certainly wouldn't encourage anyone to pursue journalism as a career. There is very little money to be made being a journalist unless one rises to the upper ends of the profession. My observation is that it is a profession that attracts idealistic people who are good with words but sometimes not much else. The newspaper journalists are certainly going to be a dying breed because a lot of newspapers are going to go out of business due to internet competition.

are we talking about journalist's or presidents?..............(sorry)........

We currently use Alldata for our labor guide. However, we also have access to Identifx which has Motor labor information. Lately we have discovered some large discrepencies between the labor times. For example the labor to do a head gasket on a 2001 Chrysler Sebring 3.0 in 6.9 in Alldata and 9.9 in Identifix (or something close to that). The later seems to be closest to the actual. I could site other similar examples. Does anyone know which is most accurate? Advice?

Not to be harsh, but read your thread title, Labor GUIDES. They are just that, no one anywhere tells you you must charge only that amount of time. You can adjust the time you charge as you see fit. If you adjust up and become uncompetitive you will cease to exist. If you stick to a time you know is too low often enough, you will cease to exist. I have and use Real Time Labor Guide and will often compare times. Depending on the situation, how busy I am and who the customer is, I will mark up to the higher time. I also have the benefit/curse of being a one man show so I write the RO's and do the work so I am keenly aware of how long it should take.

Live by the book, DIE BY THE BOOK.

We currently use Alldata for our labor guide. However, we also have access to Identifx which has Motor labor information. Lately we have discovered some large discrepencies between the labor times. For example the labor to do a head gasket on a 2001 Chrysler Sebring 3.0 is 6.9 in Alldata and 9.9 in Identifix (or something close to that). The later seems to be closest to the actual. I could site other similar examples. Does anyone know which is most accurate? Advice?

We use alldata as our labor guide also. I've noticed several repairs that seem to be out of line. We looked at both Mitchell and Alldata when we first opened and went with alldata. We will be looking at diferent labor guides in the future

We use alldata as our labor guide also. I've noticed several repairs that seem to be out of line. We looked at both Mitchell and Alldata when we first opened and went with alldata. We will be looking at diferent labor guides in the future

I've used all sorts of labor guides in the past. Alldata, Mitchell, Motor...etc.. etc.. The one that I have been using for the past couple of years is from a company out of Florida. It's called "Real-time Labor Guide" it's a pretty simple setup but whats nice is that if you find something that isn't correct... you call them.. tell them... they'll listen ... they'll make the changes and also give you a credit towards your next up date.

The only time I have any hassle is with the extended warranty companies... they perfer Mitchell... I tell them,"Hey, do what ya want, the bottom line is I'm charging what I feel it's worth and if the company isn't paying for it... somebody will." (Mitchell's labor always seemed a little light to me.)