Quantcast

As a New BannerBuzz.com Customer You Get 20% Off Your First Order! Use Code: FIRSTORDER for 20% Off Custom Banners, Decals, Marketing Materials, and Any Custom Print Needs! Offer Does Not End

As a New BannerBuzz.com Customer You Get 20% Off Your First Order! Use Code: FIRSTORDER for 20% Off Custom Banners, Decals, Marketing Materials, and Any Custom Print Needs! Offer Does Not End

Business during the start of 2009

Our first quarter was up 8% over last year as most our car count is up and R/o down , but we have increased our R/o up $70.00 to an average of $323.00 .

April is always a tough month we hope to stay on track .

Thanks Dan Reichow [ OHIO ]

How has business been during the first months of 2009?

Our January-February was strong

March was o.k.

April has fallen off the cliff.

So you will know where I am coming from we had not had a down month to month in 4 years until March.

Can we compare notes?

My sales pattern was the same as yours.

January - Feb Strong

March - OK

April - off the cliff (down about 30% from last April)

Seems to be picking back up but still not where I need it

• 2 weeks later...

This is a strange year. Our car counts have gone from an average of 100 per week to 135 per week. And we see more new customers than ever before.

The only negative thing I see is that people are more cautious and budget their money. Our over sales are up, but not what we would expect from such an increase in car counts.

• 3 weeks later...

There are many areas of the country that are struggling. I think now is the time to make your presence know in the market. Try to increase your advertising and be more convenient to your customers. Be careful with discounting, it may hurt you bottom line and make it harder to increase prices when the economy turns around. Offer value packages like a Summer Promo. Put together a package that includes and oil change service, multipoint inspection and maybe an A/C check.

Keep the customer top of mind, they will remember this.

• 3 weeks later...
There are many areas of the country that are struggling. I think now is the time to make your presence know in the market. Try to increase your advertising and be more convenient to your customers. Be careful with discounting, it may hurt you bottom line and make it harder to increase prices when the economy turns around. Offer value packages like a Summer Promo. Put together a package that includes and oil change service, multipoint inspection and maybe an A/C check.

Keep the customer top of mind, they will remember this.

Well May was a strong month for us. June started off strong but has died down last week into this week, Not sure what to attribute that to just yet.

• 1 month later...

I think you’re right; we are not out of the woods yet, with respect to the economy. Also, consumers are more selective now on how they spend their money. The end of the summer is here and people’s thoughts are more on the start of school and their last chance of a vacation.

July was also strong for us, but business in general is down in August. Not just for us but for the all businesses.

I am confident as ever that now is the perfect time to push hard. Provide the best service, increase your advertizing and show strength. Anything less will hurt you in the long term.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Geat article. We too have a mixed sales year. Our numbers are up, mostly because we expanded and launched a new facilty where we do a lot of walk-in service. But people are not willing to let go those dollars that easy.

I see the economy being very unstable the next few years, plus I fear that the currect adminisrtation may be damaging long term.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Topics

• By Joe Marconi
      Back in the 1990s, some shop owner's feared that fuel injection, 100 mile spark plugs, the elimination of the Distributor cap, rotor and extended fluid services would be our demise. But, that didn't happen. 
      Now I hear many in our industry state that "There is no needed work on an electric vehicle, they are problem free." 
      My opinion, let's not fall into thinking that the EV car will run forever of even for years without needed service.  The EV still has tires, suspension, brakes, and a whole new area of opportunities. It will be different, but there will be a need for the Automotive Technicians and for repair shops.
      Your thoughts? 

• By Joe Marconi
      Most communities have a variety of repair shops, dealerships, and franchise models.  Do you consider them the competition, or colleagues?
      Do you think it's worth it to get to know other auto businesses in your community?  To share and exchange business ideas and strategies?

• By Joe Marconi
      There seem to be mixed opinions on what Business System is the best. And also, not all business systems fit a particular repair shop model.
      There are a lot of new players in the past few years: Auto Leap, Protractor, Teckmetrics, Shop Boss, Shop Monkey, and more.
      Are you happy with your system?  What features are important to you? 
    • By carmcapriotto
      If only we had a crystal ball to peak at the next 5 years. As a shop owner, you might still be booked out 2-3 weeks, but with gas prices, inflation, the great resignation, interest rates, and new and used car costs, what do you need to pay attention to in the short term to continue to be profitable and relevant?  Chris Cotton, AutoFix Auto Shop Coaching, Chris Cotton Weekly Blitz Podcast Hunt Demarest, CPA, Paar Mellis and Associates, Business by the Numbers Podcast Joe Marconi, Executive Council Member, Elite Worldwide. Joe’s Episodes HERE. Michael Smith, Managing Partner, Herzberg Smith and Co, Michael Smith’s previous episodes HERE Jaron Kleber, National Sales Manager, Repair Shop of Tomorrow
      Key Talking Points
      Your employees should be your greatest strength. Invest in THEM to secure their future and the future of your business. Connect the dots with their goals and the company’s goals. Don’t ignore the people in your shop. Don’t get complacent. Productivity, efficiency, and effective labor rate are the 3 most important numbers in your business Systems, operations, and procedures. SOPs will set you free! Important to train the whole team on “what right looks like” so that everyone is rowing the boat in the same direction. It’s not about the one, it’s about the all. TEAMWORK makes the dream work. The automobile service industry is undergoing a literal revolution. The boomers are increasingly aging out, the number of independent competitors is shrinking fast, being a future top-shop will require much more business sophistication in the future, and the third-party investor feeding frenzy has begun. Smart owners need a strong business strategy, steeped in their legacy and exit strategy, to lead through these changes rather than just playing catch-up. Baby boomers retiring- 80-85% aren't worth making a private equity investment Shop owners coming from outside the industry- thinking from a business perspective  Elevating the industry through training and coaching Profit vs cash- cash brings personal spending habits into play, preserving cash Will it slow down? It matters what you do during the good times that will help you survive the bad times. Don’t let car count carry you. Redefine who you are and honed in  
      Connect with the Podcast:
      Aftermarket Radio Network

Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Check out today's partners:

Set your sights on Las Vegas in 2022. Mark your calendar now … November 1-3, 2022, AAPEX - Now more than ever. And don’t miss the next free AAPEX webinar. Register now at AAPEXSHOW.COM/WEBINAR.
      Shop-Ware: More Time. More Profit. Shop-Ware Shop Management getshopware.com

Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • Advertise your services or products to passers-by attracting them towards your business
    • By Joe Marconi
      The word OSHA makes many shop owners cringe. 
      I was lucky enough years back to have my insurance agent suggest I perform a voluntary OSHA inspection. A private company did it at the time.   
      They found tons of violations; some we knew would be flagged, but most we did not. 
      Have you ever had an OSHA inspection? And what can shop owners do to protect themselves? 

• Our Sponsors

general heavy-duty 728x90

general heavy-duty 468x60

general heavy-duty 250x250