Quantcast

Migrating from Bay-master to Other SMS

I've been running Baymaster for 25 years, but it seems I"m going to have to make a move.  We want to bring digital inspections on line, along with all the photo reporting and easy customer contact that goes with it.  I don't think Baymaster is going to come out with anything in the near future, so I'm contemplating changing my management software.  Has anyone had experience migrating from Baymaster to say Autovitals or Bolton?

Jim

• Alex changed the title to Migrating from Bay-master to Other SMS

Migrating from anything can be a headache, the best approach to take is to evaluate what you presently do, very thoroughly.

Start with:

How many machines are used with the program?

How many employees?

Do they require logins?

Expand to:

What are the things you do daily that you take for granted? This is a hard one that requires a team effort to answer accurately.

For instance:  You clearly check in a vehicle and check one out every day, at the least.  What's involved in that?

How does your new system handle that?

Who has to learn what to perform their role?

Other than working through the questions up there, the easiest way to learn a new system is to do the following:

Plan on using both systems for +/- 120 days in unison.  What does this mean.  Well the first 30 days, focus doing things as you normally do, but at the end of each day, enter the customers that you serviced that day in the new system, along with their vehicles.  Notice anything different?  Anything you need to adjust to? Anything that has to change your train of thought?

Run that for 30 days or as long as everyone is comfortable doing it.  My suggestion is to allow all of your employees to perform these basic tasks to get everyone used to the new interface.

Next 30 days, time to recreate invoices for the next batch of services.  Rinse and repeat the steps above.

By the 60th day, everyone should be accustomed to how things works, what the strong points are and what the weaknesses are.  On the 61st day... start with the new system entirely for just that day.  Evaluate your entire process at the end of the day and see where the team is at.  If everyone is comfortable, keep moving till you hit a hard enough road block that causes the world to stop spinning.

By the 90th day, your entire team should be fully transitioned to the new platform.  But the 30 days cycles are arbitrary and you should work with your employees to transition.  Having them on board is what makes this easy or hard.

Changing platforms is actually really easy when it's broken out into steps.  It's the businesses that do a full hard turn that have a hard time and fail to adapt to better software.  It's a time when your leadership qualities matter the most, because in the end... you benefit the most from a better software platform.

I am also a longtime BayMaster user and I think you should give them a call since they already offer digital inspections. I copy and pasted the information below from their web site.

Digital Inspection Forms

(FREE WITH CUSTOM JOBS!)

• Completely Customizable inspections for your shops individual needs

• Full Tablet and mobile device support

• Prints alongside jobs on invoices

• Show recommended inspection and repair alongside a quote for the repair

• Save with the ticket in history to be able to reference in the future

• Can be as short or as long as needed with no limits

USE WITH A TABLET TO SPEED UP INSPECTIONS AND SHOW CUSTOMERS!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2019 at 5:12 PM, JimO said:

I am also a longtime BayMaster user and I think you should give them a call since they already offer digital inspections. I copy and pasted the information below from their web site.

Digital Inspection Forms

(FREE WITH CUSTOM JOBS!)

• Completely Customizable inspections for your shops individual needs

• Full Tablet and mobile device support

• Prints alongside jobs on invoices

• Show recommended inspection and repair alongside a quote for the repair

• Save with the ticket in history to be able to reference in the future

• Can be as short or as long as needed with no limits

USE WITH A TABLET TO SPEED UP INSPECTIONS AND SHOW CUSTOMERS!

Here's the direct url if anyone is looking https://bay-master.com/advanced

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Have you checked out Joe's Latest Blog?

• By Joe Marconi in Joe's Blog
      Typically, when productivity suffers, the shop owner or manager directs their attention to the technicians. Are they doing all they can do to maintain high billable hours? Are they as efficient as they can be?  Is there time being wasted throughout the technician’s day? 
      All these reasons factor into production problems, but before we point fingers at the technicians, let’s consider a few other factors.
      Are estimates being written properly? Are labor testing and inspections being billed out correctly? Are you charging enough for testing and inspecting, especially for highly specialized electrical, on-board computer issues, and other complex drivability work?  Is there a clear workflow process everyone follows that details every step from the write-up to vehicle delivery? Do you track comebacks, and is that affecting production?  Is the shop layout not conducive to high production? For example, is it unorganized, where shop tools, technical information, and equipment are not easily accessible to every technician?  Are you charging the correct labor rate and allowing for variables such as rust, vehicle age, and the fact that most labor guides are wrong? Also, is there effective communication between the tech and the service advisor to ensure that extra labor time is accounted for and billed to the customer? These are a few of the top reasons for low productivity problems. There are others, but the main point is to look at the entire operation. Productivity is a team effort.  Blaming the techs or other staff members does not get to the root cause in most cases.
      Maintaining adequate production levels is the responsibility of management to create the processes that will lead to high production while holding everyone accountable.