Quantcast

Google Search - What Happened?

The landscape definitely has changed to incorporate more ads and reviews on search pages so google can make for ad revenue. The reality is that the more ads and suggestions that are running for a particular keyword or phrase, the lower your organic results will be on the search page. Google being by far the #1, it's important to make sure you are listed and listed in a way that makes your business and website pages more relevant than your competitor's web pages. A website alone these days doesn't always cut it, really depends on the area you are in and how many competitors there are. Google business listings are extremely important and not only having a business listing, but having positive reviews which will push your listing up. 

Nowadays you have to have more than just a great website, you need up-to-date business listings (hours, phone, text, holidays, reviews, pictures, products,. services, specials,, etc.), positive reviews from all sources, continues social network activity with back-links to your site, a website well designed for mobile with up-to-date coding with on page SEO/Content and also run Google ads if you can squeeze it into your budget. Positive online reviews are a big driver of traffic these days for small businesses. 

Yes Charlie! Online is a moving target. But when I look back over 18 years of web development, hosting and running several websites that sell information and other products, it seems that you really have to stay true to the basics. That's a word nobody wants to hear - basics. Everyone wants the "advanced" stuff. It's like chasing that shiny new object! The thrill is in the chase - and when you get there - it's always the same. Go back to basics. 

Alex nailed it several times. "Google business listings are extremely important and not only having a business listing, but having positive reviews which will push your listing up" Have clients with a ton or reviews - but you have to take the time to respond to them. Then link back to your website or landing page. 

Speaking of landing pages, I've tested and used multiple landing pages with one each for specific services. As an example, Brake Service YOUR CITY, Check Engine Light YOUR CITY, Air Conditioning YOUR CITY. No matter how good the algo's get, it's really hard to do SEO on ONE HOME PAGE for a bunch of different services. So when you create multiple "dynamic" home pages, you're optimizing a landing page for each type of service. I know, costs more - but it works. Most web designers are too lazy to do it. :/

Alex also said "you need up-to-date business listings (hours, phone, text, holidays, reviews, pictures, products,. services, specials,, etc.), positive reviews from all sources" Yeah... so simple! So basic. Hmmmm... maybe those basics really do work, huh? (Sorry, being sarcastic!) Yes, I agree 100%. Web isn't sticking up one 4 page website and expecting results. 

The other thing Alex said was even more helpful - "Positive online reviews are a big driver of traffic these days for small businesses." Yup! 100% But most shop owners just THINK those reviews happen all by themselves. They don't. You have to be pro-active and get them. 

Hope this helps!
Matthew Lee

"The Car Count Fixer"
Grow your Car Count, Income and Profits with Car Count Hackers on YouTube

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yes, the internet game is constantly changing. We also hired an internet marketing company to handle our website, seo, ppc, and our social media. I have enough on my plate to try and take on all that as well. My shop has never been busier and I'm pretty sure they work with shops nationwide. Here is the website if you want to check them out: digital marketing company

• 1 year later...