Quantcast

Water Cooler Diagnostics - Real office mechanics hang around the water cooler

Gonzo

Water Cooler Diagnostics

We’ve all heard the phrase, “codes don’t fix cars, good diagnostics does”. Codes are merely a direction or path, not the answer as some might think. Those “codes fix it all” believers are usually at the bottom of the diagnostic chain. You know the type; those Neanderthals with little wrenches and big cheater bars, or the ones that follow the old adage, “When in doubt-rip it out” method of diagnosing a problem.

It’s seems to me that car repair for a certain demographic of people has always been something related to hand-me-down repair information, not diagnostic skills. I believe it’s all because of the availability of cheaply made parts and bad information. Some of it is hearsay, but a lot of it comes from two guys chatting next to the water cooler at work, and neither one of them have any automotive diagnostics background at all.

This latest case study is a perfect example of why swapping parts and paying attention to those water cooler experts isn’t always a good idea. A trained technician with diagnostic background and less time at the water cooler may be what you need.

A 2007 Dodge 4.7L pickup came into the shop with a stalling problem. The owner had already stopped by the water cooler and made a trip to the code fairy. Since no codes were stored, there wasn’t much for him to do except follow the water cooler genius’ advice. He swapped out every sensor and computer part he was told about and a few more he could barely reach, just to be safe. All of which didn’t change a thing. Before writing up the work order, I had to listen to his story, which ended like most of them do, "I've already spent too much on this truck, and I don't want to spend a penny more." (I wonder what kind of commission the water cooler guy got from the part store for helping this guy spend all his cash.)

The stalling was pretty predictable, usually every 15 minutes. Just as it would stall, the check engine light would rapidly flash, then the truck would sit silent. If you turned the key off and back on, the truck would run perfectly as if nothing happened, right up to the very moment the whole scenario repeated itself.

Since the only odd thing was this momentary flashing of the MIL, I decided to hook up a scanner and wait to see if this odd failure would show up on the screen. Sure enough, code P0688 popped up momentarily, just as the truck stalled “ASD signal low”. Out of habit I reached up and cycled the key. Dang it, the code never stored and the truck is back to running correctly again. I’ll have to wait one more time and see if I actually had the right code number. Since it only occurred as it went through its death roll, catching this failure was going to be tricky.

It was the correct code alright, but no signs of dropped voltage or weak connections anywhere to be found. It’s time to pull out the big guns. Break out the scope boys! With the scope hooked up to two different injector leads and the remaining channels on a couple of coils, I spent the afternoon watching the ASD voltage like a nervous hen watching her chicks. As if on cue, the truck died. Not a bit of change on the scope. I’m definitely going at this the wrong way. 

Something is dropping off, or at least I assumed it was. Instead of looking at the ASD signal, how about checking the injection signal and coil signals from the PCM? This time the scope did have a weird response. Just as it stalled there was a little extra squiggly line that didn’t belong in the pattern on the coil input leads. Very subtle difference, but enough of a difference that it needed closer attention. The voltage signal spiked a bit higher than normal just as the truck would stall, and then the voltage would drop to zero. It must be the PCM or a coil. Since the signal was only there for a brief blip on the scope, it wasn’t exactly something I could put my finger on just yet.

Time for some old school tricks. Since the PCM was new, I could at least (with some trepidation) rule it out for now. I could test further, or I could try to create a problem that might mimic what I was seeing on the scope pattern, or with luck, if it was a spike that was coming from a coil, disconnecting it could show the problem. I decided to give this truck a miss of my very own and see if I could increase that little squiggle into a bigger one.

I'll unplug one coil and watch the scope pattern. If I’m lucky, the truck will either stay running longer than it normally did, or it might show me a larger voltage spike. Sure enough, I found it on the third coil. As long as that particular coil was left unplugged, the truck ran well past the usual stall time. To verify it, I plugged the coil back in and watched the scope readings directly at that coil. A millisecond before the stall the coil spiked to the top of the screen as the truck shut off. Just as I suspected, if it was on the coil that was causing the problem the spiked voltage would show higher there than on the adjacent coils.

The big question for me was why did it not set a code? The reason was the coil lead led straight to the PCM. The extra high voltage going back into the circuit simply turned the PCM off as if the key was turned off. There’s no codes for shutting the truck off, only codes for failures that make it shut off. The solution...replace the coil. 

Now and then there are problems that don’t follow the diagnostic steps laid out by the engineers. Even though you’d think every aspect and every type of condition has been tried and tested, or at least talked about around the water cooler. There are times when you’ve got to look past the “assumed” problem and dig a little deeper to find the cause. There's no doubt this repair is going to be another one of those conversations around the water cooler, but I seriously doubt anywhere in this story will the novice know-it-all admit that it took an experienced technician to locate his problem, not his water cooler buddy. Oh, and I don’t expect to hear him say as he leans on the cooler, “Codes don’t fix cars, mechanics do” even when there isn't a code.

View full article

ahh yes, lol the code tells you what is wrong guys. Unfortunately I work with those guys LOL.. I have seen them go round and round with a car, I come over and in a short time find the problem for them. Then when the customer comes to get the car they wear the crown proudly , trying to BS their way through any questions the customer asks taking full credit for the diagnostics . Sometimes I will step in and give the explanation of the problem making them wonder if the guy they are talking too really did the job, but I do not come out and out them completely .  These guys are really no better than the customer who thinks the code tells all . I always tell them think of a code as a number on a door, open that door and there is a long hallway lined with doors on both sides up and down, behind one of those doors is the problem, you can guess and open every door for a fee or just diagnose the problem and open just the one door . I think that one door is going to cost less than opening several till you find the problem. These guys you will find, are also the Youtuber's for repair.

I had a customer come to me yesterday with a 2017 jeep he slammed the door and knocked the glass off track. I gave him the estimate to put it back.. "That's okay I can figure it out on Youtube." off he went.  about three hours later I see him pull up , I am thinking great look at this guy coming to gloat in his glory. Nope he had four band-aids on his fingers and a now broken regulator and door handle.. As he agreed to my estimate he stated " See the difference between the average guy and the mechanic is the average guy can take it apart they just can't put it back together where as the mechanic can put it back together"  I just looked at him laughed and said "Really that is what you think" I said "the difference is we figure out what is wrong and make the repair without breaking tons of other parts, not to mention we don't wear as many band-aids !" Also remember one thing, who told you what was wrong with your window.

Edited by skm
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

reminds me of a computer repair from years ago where it passed all diagnostics yet in real time(computer was running software to do a specific task) it would fail. so how you fix it? While running the real time program you would swap out electronic boards that made the computer run until you found which board it was. Anyway back then then there were spare boards on each system. Today you would just replace the computer. Keep in mind that one computer years ago cost $30k or more!

• Haha 1

• Have you checked out Joe's Latest Blog?

5 comments
      I recently spoke with a friend of mine who owns a large general repair shop in the Midwest. His father founded the business in 1975. He was telling me that although he’s busy, he’s also very frustrated. When I probed him more about his frustrations, he said that it’s hard to find qualified technicians. My friend employs four technicians and is looking to hire two more. I then asked him, “How long does a technician last working for you.” He looked puzzled and replied, “I never really thought about that, but I can tell that except for one tech, most technicians don’t last working for me longer than a few years.”
      Judging from personal experience as a shop owner and from what I know about the auto repair industry, I can tell you that other than a few exceptions, the turnover rate for technicians in our industry is too high. This makes me think, do we have a technician shortage or a retention problem? Have we done the best we can over the decades to provide great pay plans, benefits packages, great work environments, and the right culture to ensure that the techs we have stay with us?
      Finding and hiring qualified automotive technicians is not a new phenomenon. This problem has been around for as long as I can remember. While we do need to attract people to our industry and provide the necessary training and mentorship, we also need to focus on retention. Having a revolving door and needing to hire techs every few years or so costs your company money. Big money! And that revolving door may be a sign of an even bigger issue: poor leadership, and poor employee management skills.
      Here’s one more thing to consider, for the most part, technicians don’t leave one job to start a new career, they leave one shop as a technician to become a technician at another shop. The reasons why they leave can be debated, but there is one fact that we cannot deny, people don’t quit the company they work for, they usually leave because of the boss or manager they work for.
      Put yourselves in the shoes of your employees. Do you have a workplace that communicates, “We appreciate you and want you to stay!”
  • Similar Topics

• By Joe Marconi

Premium Member Content 

This content is hidden to guests, one of the benefits of a paid membership. Please login or register to view this content.

• By carmcapriotto
      How To Get In Touch
      Group - Auto Repair Marketing Mastermind
      Website - shopmarketingpros.com 
      Facebook - facebook.com/shopmarketingpros 
      Get the Book - shopmarketingpros.com/book
      Instagram - @shopmarketingpros 
      Questions/Ideas - [email protected]
      Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By carmcapriotto
      Thanks to our Partner, NAPA Auto Care Recorded Live at MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems) 2024 Training Event & Trade Show, Joe Long at discusses the evolution and importance of coolants. Joe shares his expertise on the impact of coolants on engine systems, the specifics of coolants for electric vehicles, and the challenges posed by new technologies. He also explores the transition from conventional to organic acid coolants and the importance of proper coolant testing and maintenance. The conversation also covers diesel exhaust fluid (DEF), its testing procedures, and maintenance tips to ensure fluid quality in automotive and heavy-duty applications. Joe emphasizes the need for education and proper maintenance to prevent system failures and maintain vehicle efficiency. Joe Long, Director, Heavy Duty Business Development, Old World Industries Show Notes
      Joe Long's background (00:00:42) Joe Long's extensive experience in the trucking industry and his transition to working with Old World Industries. Old World Industries and Peak brand (00:02:06) Discussion on Old World Industries and the Peak brand as a leading supplier of various coolants for heavy-duty and automotive applications. Importance of coolants in automotive and heavy-duty applications (00:02:51) The critical role of coolants in engine maintenance and the impact of coolant-related engine downtime. Battery electric vehicle coolants (00:05:19) The development and testing of coolants for battery electric vehicles, including the challenges and specific requirements for these systems. Longevity and types of coolants (00:08:09) Insights into the history and types of coolants, including the case of Dex-Cool and its compatibility issues. Coolants for hydrogen-powered battery electric vehicles (00:10:16) Research and development of coolants for future hydrogen-powered battery electric vehicles and the challenges associated with this technology. Coolant color and types (00:11:18) The significance of coolant color and the distinction between conventional and heavy-duty coolants in different vehicle systems. Testing and maintenance of coolants (00:14:57) The importance of testing coolant for compatibility and the recommended test procedures for automotive technicians. Color, Clarity, and pH (00:18:59) Discussion on testing for color, clarity, and pH levels in coolants, and the significance of organic acid technologies. Water and Glycol Content (00:19:48) Explanation of the purpose of water and glycol in cooling systems, and the impact of temperature and driving conditions on the glycol-water ratio. Refractometer Testing (00:22:02) Importance of using a refractometer to accurately measure water glycol content and freeze point in coolants. Coolant Blend and Inhibitors (00:23:17) Discussion on maintaining the proper blend of glycol and water, and the consequences of diluting inhibitors in the coolant system. Testing for Inhibitors (00:24:00) Explanation of the importance of testing for inhibitors in coolant systems and the differences between old and new technology. Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) and SCR Systems (00:26:37) Overview of the evolution of diesel exhaust systems, including EGR, DPF, and SCR systems, and the role of DEF in reducing emissions. DEF Composition and Shelf Life (00:29:11) Insight into the composition of DEF, its production process, and factors affecting its shelf life such as temperature and sunlight exposure. Testing and Storage of DEF (00:33:20) Guidance on testing DEF quality, considerations for storage, and the impact of temperature on its shelf life. DEF Maintenance and Testing (00:34:57) Discussion on the importance of maintaining DEF quality, testing procedures, and the significance of color, clarity, and odor in DEF. Cleaning Coolant Systems (00:38:38) Discussion on washing coolant balls with soap and water and proper cleaning methods for refractometers. Fleet Maintenance (00:39:21) Importance of proper cooling system testing and maintenance in fleets, and the need for education and awareness. Coolant Evolution (00:40:34) Transition from nitrite-based to nitrite-free coolants in automotive and heavy-duty applications, and the impact on cooling system performance. Coolant Failure Analysis (00:43:39) Joe Long's expertise in analyzing coolant failures, identifying causes, and providing solutions. Cooling System Cleaners (00:44:24) The need for cleaning coolant systems to address rust, corrosion, and other contaminants, with specific products for different types of failures. Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) Inspection (00:47:00) Discussion on DEF freezing, white crud formation, and the need for regular inspection and maintenance. Platinum DEF Product (00:51:10) Introduction of Blue DEF Platinum with added inhibitor to prevent white crud formation, and the importance of using the right DEF for vehicle maintenance.
      Thanks to our Partner, NAPA Auto Care Learn more about NAPA Auto Care and the benefits of being part of the NAPA family by visiting https://www.napaonline.com/en/auto-care Connect with the Podcast: -Follow on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RemarkableResultsRadioPodcast/ -Join Our Private Facebook Community: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1734687266778976 -Subscribe on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/carmcapriotto -Follow on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/carmcapriotto/ -Follow on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/remarkableresultsradiopodcast/ -Follow on Twitter: https://twitter.com/RResultsBiz -Visit the Website: https://remarkableresults.biz/ -Join our Insider List: https://remarkableresults.biz/insider -All books mentioned on our podcasts: https://remarkableresults.biz/books -Our Classroom page for personal or team learning: https://remarkableresults.biz/classroom -Buy Me a Coffee: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/carm -The Aftermarket Radio Network: https://aftermarketradionetwork.com -Special episode collections: https://remarkableresults.biz/collections    
    • By carmcapriotto
      Recorded at MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems) 2024 Training Event & Trade Show, Frank Woodson from Gates discusses the importance of proper vehicle maintenance, focusing on water pump failures and electrolysis in cooling systems. Frank explains that 70-72% of water pump failures are due to weep leaks from seal failure, often caused by neglected coolant. The episode highlights the significance of thorough diagnostics and maintenance to avoid unnecessary repairs and ensure vehicle reliability. Frank Woodson, Training Manager, North America Aftermarket, Gates Corporation  Show Notes
      Bobby Bassett's Influence (00:01:08) The impact of Bobby Bassett, a former trainer, on the decision to focus on water pumps and the importance of his episode. Understanding Water Pump Failures (00:02:12) The discussion revolves around Bobby Bassett's foresight and the importance of understanding coolant and water pump failures. Preventing Water Pump Comebacks (00:05:46) The potential to prevent water pump comebacks through proper maintenance and the significance of addressing weep leaks and contamination. Water Pump Warranty Sort (00:08:40) Insights into the process of conducting water pump warranty sorts and the significance of analyzing water pump failures. Challenges in Implementing Preventative Measures (00:10:10) The challenges and complexities in educating the industry about the importance of preventative measures for water pump maintenance. Advancements in Hydraulic Hoses (00:12:47) Discussions about new sealing types and hose technologies, including the introduction of unique designs for hydraulic applications. Serpentine Belt System and Alignment Tests (00:13:43) The significance of the serpentine belt system and the use of alignment tests, such as the spray bottle test, to diagnose issues. Teaching about Hydraulics (00:16:16) The satisfaction of teaching and discussing the impact of the serpentine belt system and hydraulics on automotive components. Electrolysis in Cooling Systems (00:17:05) Conversations about the prevalence of electrolysis in cooling systems and the importance of diagnosing and addressing it effectively. Leak source and troubleshooting (00:18:25) Exploring potential sources of leaks and the importance of addressing ground issues and dirty coolant in electrolysis troubleshooting. Signs of electrolysis and pump seal failure (00:19:07) Recognizing signs of electrolysis in water pumps and the impact on pump seal failure.
      Thanks to our Partner, NAPA Auto Care Learn more about NAPA Auto Care and the benefits of being part of the NAPA family by visiting https://www.napaonline.com/en/auto-care Connect with the Podcast: -Follow on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RemarkableResultsRadioPodcast/ -Join Our Private Facebook Community: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1734687266778976 -Subscribe on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/carmcapriotto -Follow on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/carmcapriotto/ -Follow on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/remarkableresultsradiopodcast/ -Follow on Twitter: https://twitter.com/RResultsBiz -Visit the Website: https://remarkableresults.biz/ -Join our Insider List: https://remarkableresults.biz/insider -All books mentioned on our podcasts: https://remarkableresults.biz/books -Our Classroom page for personal or team learning: https://remarkableresults.biz/classroom -Buy Me a Coffee: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/carm -The Aftermarket Radio Network: https://aftermarketradionetwork.com -Special episode collections: https://remarkableresults.biz/collections    
    • By carmcapriotto
      The Weekly Blitz is brought to you by our friends over at Shop Marketing Pros. If you want to take your shop to the next level, you need great marketing. Shop Marketing Pros does top-tier marketing for top-tier shops.
      Click here to learn more about Top Tier Marketing by Shop Marketing Pros and schedule a demo:https://shopmarketingpros.com/chris/
      Check out their podcast here: https://autorepairmarketing.captivate.fm/
      If you would like to join their private Facebook group go here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/autorepairmarketingmastermind
      In this podcast episode, Coach Chris Cotton from Auto Fix Auto Shop Coaching introduces his upcoming book designed to help auto repair shop owners enhance their businesses. The book, tentatively titled "The Auto Fix Auto Shop Coaching Owner's Guide to Everything You Didn't Know About Running a Successful Auto Repair Shop," covers topics like goal setting, financial management, staffing, and adapting to future technologies. Cotton invites shop owners to contribute suggestions and request a free copy. The episode, sponsored by Shop Marketing Pros, aims to motivate the bottom 50% of shop owners to grow and succeed in their industry.
      Chapter 1: What Do You Want as a Shop Owner? (00:02:13) Discusses the different goals and aspirations of shop owners and the importance of defining personal success.
      Chapter 2: Define Your Goals (00:03:08) Highlights the process of setting smart goals, understanding business variables, and keeping an eye on market trends.
      Chapter 3: Barriers to Coaching (00:04:13) Explores the common barriers that prevent shop owners from seeking coaching and offers solutions.
      Chapter 4: Essentials of Being a Successful Auto Repair Shop (00:05:20) Covers the foundational aspects of running a successful auto repair shop, including meeting customer needs and financial stability.
      Chapter 5: The Importance of a Good Chart of Accounts (00:06:18) Emphasizes the significance of a well-maintained chart of accounts for financial management and streamlining.
      Chapter 6: The Vital Role of the Income Statement (00:07:26) Focuses on the income statement and its importance in financial review and standardization.
      Chapter 7: Determining the Right Car Count for Success (00:08:30) Addresses the misconception of needing more cars for sales goals and the importance of optimizing existing processes.
      Chapter 8: The Heartbeat of Auto Repair Businesses (00:09:33) Explores profit centers, margins, and the road to financial health in auto repair businesses.
      Chapter 9: Guest Chapter on Car Count and Marketing (00:10:38) Features insights from a guest expert on car count, marketing, and branding for auto repair shops.
      Chapter 10: Profit Margins and Parts Matrix (00:11:43) Delves into profit margins, parts matrixes, and strategies for maximizing profits in auto repair.
      Chapter 11: Cash Flow (00:12:32) Discusses the unique challenges of cash flow management in auto repair businesses and offers solutions for improving profitability.

Connect with Chris:
      [email protected]
      Phone: 940.400.1008
      www.autoshopcoaching.com
      Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/
      AutoFixAutoShopCoachingYoutube: https://bit.ly/3ClX0ae

#autofixautoshopcoaching #autofixbeautofixing #autoshopprofits #autoshopprofit #autoshopprofitsfirst #autoshopleadership #autoshopmanagement #autorepairshopcoaching #autorepairshopconsulting #autorepairshoptraining #autorepairshop #autorepair #serviceadvisor #serviceadvisorefficiency #autorepairshopmarketing #theweeklyblitz #autofix #shopmarketingpros #autofixautoshopcoachingbook

• Our Sponsors