Quantcast

Employee agreements

We've been looking for a new tech to help us grow recently and a topic that's come up for us is a minimum hour or weekly guarantee. I don't mind doing this at all, as I want pur techs to earn a fair and living wage. Honestly as far as I'm concerned I'd love for them to take 50% of the hourly rate including taxes - we want our employees happy and financially we'll. But I also want to be financially well, I'm concerned if I give a tech a minimum guarantee I may have productivity issues. In the same respect I'm not sure if it's acceptable to put a statement saying the minimum only applies to weeks when X amount of hours is not available or something similar. Any input?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I am just a small shop me and another guy that is just beginning.  I pay him a base pay of 12 an hour and give him 6 dollars for every flat rate hour he turns. By doing this if we are ever slow he has a base pay and also initiative to stay busy on other things such as building maintainence etc. He seems to really like it and it works good for me.

• Like 1

I do agree that we need to pay our employees a decent wage. It's a main factor in attracting quality people to our industry. The only thing I would recommend is to carefully look at your overhead, cost of sales and make sure your generating enough profit. This may take some time, but it's worth it.  In other words, it's one thing to want to pay someone a certain amount, but you need to make sure the company earns a profit and that the technician is generating enough labor production hours.
I pay techs a base wage, which is above average in my area, and also pay production bonus on top. 
One more thing, money is not the only motivator for production. A healthy work environment, with a strong leader, and recognition of your employees will do wonders for your production.

Thanks Joe!
We're a small shop so we struggle with the offerings that some employees are looking for beyond pay. We do offer a family like environment that's very laid back and everyone that works for us seems to appreciate it. We could certainly use some orginization & productivity improvement but that's a struggle when the owner is turning wrenches and writing service. I think we're finally to a point where expanding is a real possibility, but we've got to find some quality techs!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I used to struggle with this when I first started out. I found that technicians would generally ask for enough money to make sure they can pay all their bills as a "guarantee". The end result was lazy technicians. If I would guarantee a guy 30 hours plus whatever he produced above that, he would invariably produce 28-32 hours.

Years ago I decided that all my techs would be flat rate with no floor. I also put my advisor on a straight commission plan with no floor. The result has been technicians who are almost always flagging over 40, and advisors who sell. My job is to give them all an opportunity to succeed.

A side benefit to this is in the bookkeeping. My tech wages are calculated as a COGS as they have a direct correlation to billed labor. It makes life easy when you're looking at your labor profitability vs ELR etc. Having a disconnect between labor hours billed and technician wages muddies the waters a bit. And since I'm the laziest human being on the planet, I like easy.

No matter what you do with your pay plan, one adage I always go back to is "There's no better manager than a properly structured pay plan". If your pay plan by default has your employees doing what you want them to do, life gets easy for everyone.

• Like 2

I pay a healthy living, hourly wage for the slow times and when the RO's just don't work out for whatever reason for the Tech. I want them to earn a percentage of what they produce and give them their hourly or the % of their production, whichever is greater. From the accounting side it works best to pay them hourly and then calculate the % as a bonus when they hit minimum production levels. 

• 3 months later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Have you checked out Joe's Latest Blog?

3 comments
      Got your attention? Good. The truth is, there is no such thing as the perfect technician pay plan. There are countless ways to create any pay plan. I’ve heard all the claims and opinions, and to be honest, it’s getting a little frustrating. Claims that an hourly paid pay plan cannot motivate. That flat rate is the only way to truly get the most production from your technicians. And then there’s the hybrid performance-based pay plan that many claim is the best.
      At a recent industry event, a shop owner from the Midwest boasted about his flat-rate techs and insisted that this pay plan should be adopted by all shops across the country. When I informed him that in states like New York, you cannot pay flat-rate, he was shocked. “Then how do you motivate your techs” he asked me.
      I remember the day in 1986 when I hired the best technician who ever worked for me in my 41 years as an automotive shop owner. We’ll call him Hal. When Hal reviewed my pay plan for him, and the incentive bonus document, he stared at it for a minute, looked up, and said, “Joe, this looks good, but here’s what I want.” He then wrote on top of the document the weekly salary he wanted. It was a BIG number. He went on to say, “Joe, I need to take home a certain amount of money. I have a home, a wife, two kids, and my Harly Davidson. I will work hard and produce for you. I don’t need an incentive bonus to do my work.” And he did, for the next 30 years, until the day he retired.
      Everyone is entitled to their opinion. So, here’s mine. Money is a motivator, but not the only motivator, and not the best motivator either. We have all heard this scenario, “She quit ABC Auto Center, to get a job at XYZ Auto Repair, and she’s making less money now at XYZ!” We all know that people don’t leave companies, they leave the people they work for or work with.
      With all this said, I do believe that an incentive-based pay plan can work. However, I also believe that a technician must be paid a very good base wage that is commensurate with their ability, experience, and certifications. I also believe that in addition to money, there needs to be a great benefits package. But the icing on the cake in any pay plan is the culture, mission, and vision of the company, which takes strong leadership. And let’s not forget that motivation also comes from praise, recognition, respect, and when technicians know that their work matters.
      Rather than looking for that elusive perfect pay plan, sit down with your technician. Find out what motivates them. What their goals are. Why do they get out of bed in the morning? When you tie their goals with your goals, you will have one powerful pay plan.
  • Similar Topics

• By Joe Marconi

Premium Member Content 

This content is hidden to guests, one of the benefits of a paid membership. Please login or register to view this content.

• By carmcapriotto
      The Weekly Blitz is brought to you by our friends over at Shop Marketing Pros. If you want to take your shop to the next level, you need great marketing. Shop Marketing Pros does top-tier marketing for top-tier shops.
      Click here to learn more about Top Tier Marketing by Shop Marketing Pros and schedule a demo:https://shopmarketingpros.com/chris/
      Check out their podcast here: https://autorepairmarketing.captivate.fm/
      If you would like to join their private Facebook group go here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/autorepairmarketingmastermind
      In this episode, Coach Chris Cotton from Auto Fix Auto Shop Coaching addresses auto repair business owners, focusing on revitalizing February's sluggish pace. He emphasizes the power of a goal-oriented mindset, offering actionable advice on setting objectives and adopting proactive strategies. Cotton's insights aim to help listeners transform typically slow periods into opportunities for profit and success, underscoring the significance of attitude and planning in business.

The importance of mindset (00:00:04) Discussion on the significance of a goal-driven mindset to turn February around for auto repair business owners.

Challenging the negative mindset (00:02:23) Encouraging shop owners to shift from a negative mindset about February and its impact on business performance.

Analyzing February sales data (00:04:30) Reviewing sales data from February and questioning the mindset of shop owners who did not experience significant growth.

Preparing for slow periods (00:08:05) Emphasizing the importance of long-term planning and preparation for slow months, such as February, to achieve success.

Overcoming negative mindset trap (00:09:07) Discussing the negative mindset trap and how it affects the performance and attitude of the team.

Adopting a positive mindset (00:10:16) Exploring the power of a positive mindset and proactive approach to transform slow periods into successful and profitable times.

Setting ambitious goals (00:11:11) Encouraging shop owners to set ambitious but achievable goals and involve the team in brainstorming strategies to attract more business.

Reinforcing the impact of mindset and goals (00:13:20) Highlighting the impact of mindset and goal setting on team performance and attitude, and its role in breaking the cycle of slow periods.

Driving the shop to new heights (00:15:34) Empowering shop owners to use their mindset and leadership to transform challenges into opportunities and drive their shop to new heights.

Coach Chris Cotton', '00:02:23', "I heard it like, 'Oh woe is me, February sucks, January sucks, it's always going to suck and there's nothing we can do about it.'" 'Coach Chris Cotton', '00:03:24', "If you tell all the employees, 'Hey, this is going to be the best month ever,' and you put your efforts towards that, then guess what? It will be the best month ever." 'Coach Chris Cotton', '00:09:07', "What would $25,000 have done for your shop? What would $50,000 have done for your shop in January, February, March moving forward?"

Connect with Chris:

[email protected]
      Phone: 940.400.1008
      www.autoshopcoaching.com
      Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/
      AutoFixAutoShopCoachingYoutube: https://bit.ly/3ClX0ae

#autofixautoshopcoaching #autofixbeautofixing #autoshopprofits #autoshopprofit #autoshopprofitsfirst #autoshopleadership #autoshopmanagement #autorepairshopcoaching #autorepairshopconsulting #autorepairshoptraining #autorepairshop #autorepair #serviceadvisor #serviceadvisorefficiency #autorepairshopmarketing #theweeklyblitz #autofix #shopmarketingpros #autofixautoshopcoachingbook
      Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By carmcapriotto
      Have you discovered the power of training conferences? It’s not just the learning—it's the collaboration of minds, the shared experiences, and the connections that make them invaluable. 
      Show Notes
      Reflections on Vision Hi-Tech Training & Expo 2024 (00:01:32) Personal observations and experiences at the Vision 2024 conference. Hands-On Key Cutting Class (00:02:39) Description of a hands-on key cutting class, including the tools and sponsors involved. Scan Tool Class and Discussions (00:03:53) Discussion of various scan tools and their capabilities, featuring notable industry figures. All-Day Hands-On Pico Class (00:05:01) Description of a comprehensive all-day training session focused on Pico technology and vehicle diagnostics. Tech Talks Presentations (00:08:41) A series of presentations by industry experts on personal and professional experiences, including case studies and techniques. Trade Show Experience (00:15:48) Overview of the trade show, including interactions with various booths and industry professionals. Reflection on Training Resources (00:18:05) Discussion of training resources and their value for technicians, including specific recommendations. The discussion about technical training (00:19:13) Exploring the changes in technical training and the expectations for the next great trainers. The dedication and focus of a great trainer (00:20:23) Discussing the qualities and dedication required to become a top-notch trainer in the automotive industry. The impact of training conferences (00:24:01) Highlighting the importance of attending training conferences and the benefits of networking and learning from peers. Personal update and gratitude (00:25:08) Providing a personal update on a family member's health and expressing gratitude for support and interaction.  
      Thanks to our Partner, NAPA Autotech napaautotech.com

Email Matt: [email protected]
      Diagnosing the Aftermarket A - Z YouTube Channel HERE
      Aftermarket Radio Network: https://aftermarketradionetwork.com/

• By carmcapriotto
      The Weekly Blitz is brought to you by our friends over at Shop Marketing Pros. If you want to take your shop to the next level, you need great marketing. Shop Marketing Pros does top-tier marketing for top-tier shops.
      Click here to learn more about Top Tier Marketing by Shop Marketing Pros and schedule a demo:https://shopmarketingpros.com/chris/
      Check out their podcast here: https://autorepairmarketing.captivate.fm/
      If you would like to join their private Facebook group go here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/autorepairmarketingmastermind

In this podcast episode, Coach Chris Cotton from Auto Fix Auto Shop Coaching talks with Josh Then of Unified Automotive about Josh's transition from working in his family's auto repair business to starting his own shop.
      They discuss the difficulties of succession planning, generational differences, and the challenges of modernizing a family business. Josh shares his personal struggles with work-life balance and the toxic work environment created by his father's resistance to change. Despite good pay, Josh felt compelled to leave and set up his own garage, facing the hardships of establishing a new business and a strained relationship with his father.
      He also highlights the support he received from industry groups and the importance of utilizing resources like Facebook groups and YouTube for guidance. The episode emphasizes the value of seeking help and the continuous learning necessary for success in the auto repair industry.

Introduction (00:00:00) Setting up the podcast and introducing the topic of succession planning in a family auto repair business. Background and Early Work Experience (00:02:08) Josh's early experience in the family auto repair business, starting from a young age and progressing through high school and college. Generational Differences in Work Ethic (00:09:29) Discussion about the generational differences in work ethic and work-life balance, comparing the speaker's experience with his father's dedication to work. Motivation for Succession Planning (00:12:52) Josh's motivation for pushing the succession plan, focusing on the impact of having a daughter and the desire for a better work-life balance. Challenges in Implementing Changes (00:16:25) The challenges faced by Josh in implementing changes and improvements in the family business, including resistance from his father. Lack of Formal Succession Plan (00:18:45) The absence of a formal succession plan and the difficulties faced in getting his father to agree to a plan, leading to the speaker considering other business opportunities. Succession Plan Backing Out (00:21:50) Josh discusses the shop owner backing out of their succession plan, leading to his decision to leave. Starting a Business (00:23:22) Josh explains how he started working on his own business in the background while still at his father's shop. Leaving the Father's Shop (00:26:59) Josh describes the process of leaving his father's shop and starting his own business in his garage. Father-Son Relationship (00:28:40) Josh discusses the evolving relationship with his father after leaving the shop and the tension between them. Conflict with Father (00:31:12) Josh recounts the conflict with his father after starting his own business and the subsequent fallout. Working with Family (00:33:11) Josh reflects on the challenges of working with a stubborn family member and offers advice for others in similar situations. Regrets and Lessons (00:37:07) Josh discusses what he could have done differently and the lessons he learned from the experience. Influence of Support Groups (00:39:14) Josh shares the impact of support groups like ASA and Shop Marketing Pros on his business decisions and growth. The helpful auto repair group (00:43:41) Discussion about a helpful online group for auto repair business owners and the value of their services. The abundance of industry resources (00:44:15) The availability of resources for auto repair shop owners on the internet and the continuous growth of information. Starting the journey to seek help (00:45:00) The frustration that led to seeking help online and the positive impact of reaching out for assistance. Reaching out for advice and support (00:47:38) The realization of being in a bubble and the value of seeking perspectives from others in the industry. Concluding the podcast (00:48:38): I thank the guest for the conversation and acknowledge the sponsors of the podcast.  
      Connect with Chris:

[email protected]
      Phone: 940.400.1008
      www.autoshopcoaching.com
      Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/
      AutoFixAutoShopCoachingYoutube: https://bit.ly/3ClX0ae

#autofixautoshopcoaching #autofixbeautofixing #autoshopprofits #autoshopprofit #autoshopprofitsfirst #autoshopleadership #autoshopmanagement #autorepairshopcoaching #autorepairshopconsulting #autorepairshoptraining #autorepairshop #autorepair #serviceadvisor #serviceadvisorefficiency #autorepairshopmarketing #theweeklyblitz #autofix #shopmarketingpros #autofixautoshopcoachingbook
    • By tyrguy
      Hey all,
      Retired 5+ years ago and spend half my time down here in Florida. Haven't been on the forum in a few years. When I am up home in Ohio the tire dealer that bought my business and  rents my building from me takes good care of all my vehicle service needs. My Mini needs a few things and I'd like to hook up with someone from this forum close to me down here.
      Belt is squealing so probably needs a new belt, tensioner and idler pulley. Also need a new right side window motor.
      Anybody close to Fort Myers Beach?
      Mark Defer 330-603-5127

• Our Sponsors