Quantcast

• You can post now and register later. Already registered? sign in now to post with your account.
    • ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Once you submit your question, a new topic will be created for you in our forums. Our moderators may move your topic to a more suitable forum category if one exists. Members will see your topic and be able to respond to your question.

• This will not be shown to other users.
kenk

It came out from under the dash

Years ago when I  was very young my father who was not a mechanic but a fairly good handy man, as he built his own club basement fixed a problem on his old American Motors Rambler,that allowed him to drive the car, until it could be properly repaired. How did he know what to do?

The problem was the ignition switch which on those cars was prone to going bad. When it went bad it would keep the starter motor engaged and as you know it, if left running while the engine was running, it would burn up the starter motor in short order.

I can remember my father reaching underneath the dash, and low and behold, not even looking he pulled out this green wire which apparently came off the ignition switch. It must of not been on tight and it was a spade type of termination, because if just came off without any tools!

It was the starter solenoid feed wire. That wire was connected to the part of the ignition switch that apparently shorted out and was constantly applying 12 volts to the starter solenoid. The starter stopped spinning and he had found a way to temporary control the starter by placing a jumper wire between the wire he removed and the terminal it came off of  on the back of the starter switch, until he had the switch replaced. At least he could drive it then.

Was it just plain dumb luck that he happened to pull the right wire off the starter switch? I never asked him.      I guess back then I just didn't have the interest in how things got fixed. But to me it was like a magic trick. That's probably why I remember the story today!

under the dash.JPG

• Like 1

• Similar Topics

• By Joe Marconi
      NEWS BREAK: Workers at a Mavis Discount Tire shop falsified records to make it look as if they completed brake work on a limousine before it crashed and killed 20 in Schoharie, New York, last year, when in actuality the work was never performed, according to the shop's former manager.
      Below is a link to the article:
      https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2019/10/09/new-york-limo-crash-mavis-discount-tire-shop-falsified-brake-records/3920945002/
    • By Joe Marconi
      Let us all take time this weekend and reflect on the things that are priceless...Family and Life itself! 

• By Mark Johnson
      Shop owners did you hear? If you have been affected by COVID-19 you are eligible for a SBA disaster loan of up to $2M. This loan is from the Federal Government with interest an rate of 3.75% and up 30yrs payment term. It is not available in private financial institutions (banks).

ALL STATES CAN NOW APPLY!   
      So what information do you need?
      A LOT!
      ●    Most recent Federal income tax returns
      ●    Personal Financial Statement
      ●    Schedule of Liabilities listing all fixed debts
      ●    You Fill out All SBA Paperwork
      ●    Year-end profit-and-loss statement and balance sheet for that tax year
      ●    A current year-to-date profit-and-loss statement
      ●    Monthly sales figures for increases in the amount of economic injury.

And there may be even more!

We are currently helping shop owners navigate through the applications process.

For more info call us at 1954-324-0803 or book an appointment at https://calendly.com/markjohnsontaxplanner/45min

View full article
    • By Joe Marconi
      Usually the winter drops off in sales, but along with car counts.  This year is different.  Customers seem consumed with debt and worried about thier finances, and putting off needed vehicle maintenance.  Not good.  In the long run this leads to breakdowns and larger repair bills. 
    • By JustTheBest
      USA Today article (Friday September 27, 2019 by Nathan Borney - USA Today) shows that “the average age of cars and light trucks on U.S. roads reached an all time high of 11.8 years in 2018.”

The article goes on to claim... “By 2023, there will be about 84 million vehicles on the road that are at least 16 years old, reflecting a 240% increase from 35 million in 2002, according to IHS.”

Are you getting your share?
      There’s only 90 days left in 2019 and the market is changing. Sorry, it HAS changed. Are you ready? Do you have your plans laid out for marketing your shop in 2020? 
      Auto Service Marketing - Fix Your Car Count FAST!
      Hope this helps!
      Matthew
      "The Car Count FIxer"
      P.S.: Join me on YouTube at Car Count Hackers! FREE Help to grow your Car Count, Income and Profit! 
      P.P.S.: Like and Follow Car Count Hackers on Facebook
      P.P.P.S.: Have you registered in my FREE Training? "How to Double Your Car Count in 89 Days"

• AutoShopOwner Sponsors