Quantcast

Technician pay

I'm currently looking to hire a new lead technician and would like to find out what your paying your lead technicians. We are in a small town, population around 4,000. 4 bay shop with one lead tech and one c tech. My lead is leaving after 15 years because his wife is changing jobs. He's been with us since we opened . He's currently being paid $1100 a week salary and averages 40 hours per week. My c tech has been with me 10 months and is paid $13 per hour. Ive got one that applied asking for $35 a flag hour and another $1500 a week. Either I'm under paying or these guys are crazy.  Would also like to know if you pay per flag hour, working hour, salary, or hourly plus commission. 

Edited by spencersauto
Spelling

15 hours ago, spencersauto said:

I'm currently looking to hire a new lead technician and would like to find out what your paying your lead technicians. We are in a small town, population around 4,000. 4 bay shop with one lead tech and one c tech. My lead is leaving after 15 years because his wife is changing jobs. He's been with us since we opened . He's currently being paid $1100 a week salary and averages 40 hours per week. My c tech has been with me 10 months and is paid $13 per hour. Ive got one that applied asking for $35 a flag hour and another $1500 a week. Either I'm under paying or these guys are crazy.  Would also like to know if you pay per flag hour, working hour, salary, or hourly plus commission. 

Are you able to maintain a good labor gross profit while paying $35 per flag hour? What's your labor GP target?

I would be more leery of the guy wanting $1500 a week than the guy looking for flat rate. At least the guy wanting flat rate knows he can produce enough to make money. The guy wanting $1500 a week could be great, but more likely just has a high opinion of himself and wants to be taken care of whether he gets any work done or not.

Wow... I should come work for you! In my part of the country, I have found that techs make between $13-20 per hr depending on skill level. There is also a lot of shops paying flat rate. I prefer to pay hourly. That being said.. I know first hand how important it is to take care of your employees. Ive been blessed with great guys and would do almost anything to keep them!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk