Quantcast

TPMS services....why didn't I think of this sooner

CAautogroup

Hello all,

After two years, Our shop would like to start servicing TPMS services lights preset on most vehicles we encounter at our facility. I can't even imagine how much income we lost from not thinking about this earlier.

What scanners do you use to scan\flash TPMS sensors and how much do you charge?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions.

Nick

Just yesterday I was using our Autel TS601 for the first time (I haven't worked in the shop in a long time, but were short handed right now). Absolutely love the thing! I replaced 2 sensors on a Lexus ES350 and it was such a breeze. Installed new sensors, walked around and scanned each sensor in the tire, plugged it in, and it automatically writes the sensor IDs to the car.

We've used it before to diagnose faulty sensors for other shops. The other guys in the shop had nothing but good things to say about it too.

It was included when we bought our Autel Maxisys pro

You might want to check into the Wurth TPMS reader and their universal sensors. We are primarily a Euro shop, and we switched from OEM sensors to the Wurth ones, and we use their tool to read and register to the vehicle. They've saved a lot of time and money, and they work on everything from Audi to VW

I agree with Dave, the NAPA sensors worked out well for us using the NAPA tool and my Snap-On Solus Edge scanner when needed. Unfortunately all NAPA stores in our area changed over to CarQuest so we needed a new supplier. One of our wholesale tire suppliers had a special that included a free Smart Sensor Pro tool with the purchase of (8) Smart Sensors. So far the tool and sensors have worked great, they are clonable and have very good coverage. I had a few questions initially and their support is very good. Another bonus - updates are free for life. The Smart Sensor Pro has an OBDII connection useful not only when replacing sensors but also for TPMS resets post rotation which is required on many vehicles. In the rare case we use an OEM sensor then we use the Solus Edge to introduce the new Sensor (if required).

Our shop uses the TS401 to read the sensors. It will tell us which sensor is faulty (will not activate it if it is faulty) and will show the PSI & ID for each sensor that responds. The scanner is pretty good. Then to replace the sensor we use the clone tool from Napa which you use on their brand TPMS sensors. With that you type in the ID from the faulty sensor (usually printed on the sensor) and then type it in on the napa device and it writes it to the new sensor. All in, for both pieces of equipment we have $200 invested and have made that back many times over. Obviously it adds 1 other step since it is 2 different devices but its not much more time and doesn't require the high priced tools. Worse case if that fails, our Maxisys scanner will write the IDs as well.

I can't really compare the TS601 to other tools since I've only used this one. But what I absolutely love is not having to write down ID's anymore. You walk around the car and scan all the sensors wirelessly (It will let you pick if the car has 4 or 5 sensors). Say you find one bad or has a low battery (the 601 will tell you if a sensor is still working but has a low battery). After you replace that bad sensor, you walk around the car and scan all the sensors again. Plug the 601 tool into the OBD port, select write ID's, and it automatically writes all the new ID's to the car. You don't have to punch them in manually since it remembers all the ID's. It's also super handy because two more clicks, and it will write it to a '2nd set' if the car has the option for 2 sets of tires. This prevents someone accidently pressing the '2nd set' switch in the car and causing a tire light since no sensors are programmed.

Hopefully that wasn't confusing. Is it worth $750? I dunno, I have nothing else to compare it to. I do know I have no complaints so far with it. I bought mine as a package deal with the maxisys pro, so I got a pretty good deal I think.

If this helps any, when a car now comes in with a tire pressure light, I reach for the 601 instead of the tire pressure gauge. I walk around the car and in 30 seconds I know if it's just low tire pressure or a bad sensor.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Have you checked out Joe's Latest Blog?

5 comments
      I recently spoke with a friend of mine who owns a large general repair shop in the Midwest. His father founded the business in 1975. He was telling me that although he’s busy, he’s also very frustrated. When I probed him more about his frustrations, he said that it’s hard to find qualified technicians. My friend employs four technicians and is looking to hire two more. I then asked him, “How long does a technician last working for you.” He looked puzzled and replied, “I never really thought about that, but I can tell that except for one tech, most technicians don’t last working for me longer than a few years.”
      Judging from personal experience as a shop owner and from what I know about the auto repair industry, I can tell you that other than a few exceptions, the turnover rate for technicians in our industry is too high. This makes me think, do we have a technician shortage or a retention problem? Have we done the best we can over the decades to provide great pay plans, benefits packages, great work environments, and the right culture to ensure that the techs we have stay with us?
      Finding and hiring qualified automotive technicians is not a new phenomenon. This problem has been around for as long as I can remember. While we do need to attract people to our industry and provide the necessary training and mentorship, we also need to focus on retention. Having a revolving door and needing to hire techs every few years or so costs your company money. Big money! And that revolving door may be a sign of an even bigger issue: poor leadership, and poor employee management skills.
      Here’s one more thing to consider, for the most part, technicians don’t leave one job to start a new career, they leave one shop as a technician to become a technician at another shop. The reasons why they leave can be debated, but there is one fact that we cannot deny, people don’t quit the company they work for, they usually leave because of the boss or manager they work for.
      Put yourselves in the shoes of your employees. Do you have a workplace that communicates, “We appreciate you and want you to stay!”