You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• The $19.95 Oil Change Offer

Yesterday, went for a drive through North Jersey, was very concerned to see that independent shops are putting permanent signs with the $19.95 oil change offers, the $59 A/C recharge, and the $5 dollar flat fix. This reeks of desperation, clearly the industry is coming due for a strong correction. At my shops this month we are starting to see price resistance from the lower income segment, we are having to exert price flexibility for price discovery which we are finding to be 10% to 20% from list pricing. The mid to upper segments are still going strong.

By HarrytheCarGeek, in General Automotive Discussion

• 95 replies
    • Additional Services?

My shop is in a very rural area in South Carolina.  We are mainly a new tire dealer and we have been here for over 40 years.  We repair and replace everything from hand truck tires all the way up to large radial rear tractor tires.  We do alignments, brakes, front end suspension work, batteries, and oil changes.  We have been successful at what we do, but I see the effects of the internet and additional competition from car dealers, big box, etc. on tires and rims.   I took over from my dad about 3 years ago and I added oil changes and focused more on the alignment and front end suspension work, which has been great.  I have a great alignment and suspension guy.  My background is more finance and the business side of things as opposed to the mechanical side of things. I would like to get into doing more for our customers.  I want to get some opinions on what types of services we should offer, and how I can find a decent general maintenance tech.  I don't think that we should jump full on into engine and transmission work, but I could see doing things like master cylinders, ac work, fuel filters, general maintenance, etc.    I am going to have a pretty steep learning curve on this, so any pointers you guys could provide will be appreciated.  

By Hammer, in Auto Repair Shop Management Help? Post Here!

• 4 replies
      • 2 replies
    • Selling Advanced Diagnostic Services for Maximum Profit

Wanted to let you know about a free webinar we did recently with Jeremy O'Neal: "Selling Advanced Diagnostic Services for Maximum Profit" You can watch it here: https://www.repairpal-shops.com/selling-advanced-diagnostic-services/   Jeremy O’Neal has been recognized as one of the industry’s most talented and skilled service advisors. Having worked at independent repair facilities, as well as new car dealerships, Jeremy has developed the best real-world sales training available to the auto repair industry. In this valuable 60-minute webinar, taught by Jeremy O’Neal of Advisorfix, you’ll learn: How to generate the proper labor revenue for your shop when performing advanced diagnostic procedures How to create a value-driven advanced testing package that generates maximum profits for each job How to deliver the sales presentation in a way that naturally generates a “yes” from your customer How to combat the objection: “Other shops or dealerships don’t charge for diagnostics” How to combat the objection: “Will you waive your testing fee if I do the repairs?” You can watch it here: https://www.repairpal-shops.com/selling-advanced-diagnostic-services/

By rmiller, in Marketing, Advertising, & Promoting

• 0 replies
    • Nys inspection to test window tint

Just over the wire today is all nys inspection stations will be required to test window tint as part of the inspection starting Jan 1. Anything blocking more than 30% light fails. More equipment to buy, more time, not to mention how does the average shop deal with removing window tint? I'm not opposed to keeping police safe from thugs with limo tint on the drivers window but I feel that's the police's job not the "safety/emissions" inspector.

By alfredauto, in Northeast Auto Repair Shop Management

• 13 replies
  • AutoShopOwner Sponsors