Quantcast

Hello to all members,

I came across this forum, and I was happy to see a good supporting community here. I am a Mechanical Engineer, own a limousine business for about 10 years with a fleet of 8-10 vehicles here in Edison NJ. I take my vehicles to Newark NJ, to get it fixed at a commercial repair shop that specializes in Lincoln repairs. Our repair bill is about 25-30k per year.

I can almost do most repairs my self, but not having the tools, lift, and the time, I give all my work to this commercial repair shop. I can do brakes, rotors, all to do with radiators, catylic converters, (brake-coolant-Tranny-engine-differential) all liquid flush, belt change, ac repairs, and many more. Just keeping up my 10 cars as 100% perfectly work horse for 10 years, I have learnt a lot and now I am burning too much time and money.

In my area, there is a huge Indian and Chinese community and there are a lot of Indians who own a repair shop but not a single Chinese owned repair shop. I am kind of second generation Indian, and I see all the Indian repair shop brutally ripping off their own country men, senior citizens and lot more. I would even call them terrorist at repair shop, they are that bad.

Since I have my own work to manage, I am kind of leaning to open my own shop, like 2 bay shop. This will save me a lot of time and I will get things done my way, which will also save me more time and money. I talked to a lot of friends and to get numbers, I have a good 250 cars committed to bring me their work, some are retail, some are commercial vehicles. Once I open, I know I can get that number to 600 cars within 3-4 months. I tend to have good friends who have large organizations.

Now getting to reality.... I can design a differential but can't repair it, that's two different things...I don't want to work on cars personally, I am good at presentation, explaining and convincing clients and more as a manager. I will have to hire technicians and labors to get the work done. Besides that I will buy bays, wheel balancing and changing equipment and many other things. I want to try this for 2 years to see how it works out and I have spared 100k to try this. Rent goes around 2500-2800 for 2 bays around my area... So I assume the rent, equipment, insurance and some small things will suck up my spared fund for this project. For the technician, I will have to earn or brake even to another 60 per year...

I am a very honest and reliable business person, I wouldn't cheat just to make profits like many other shops do. I rather have a good relations with my clients that will go for longer term. I see the community here is open to such business that I plan to establish. My limousine business is profitable, but I am getting tired of it as it is a 7 days/14-16 hour work. I would love to have a 8am-7pm 5 days per week for my remaining life :)

Should I risk this plan, should I go for it or wait....I would love to have your opinion on this...

Thanks for reading this long post, brain storming, and possible help.
~Dave.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• Article: Challenges Of The Auto Repair Business

As the auto industry moves on into the modern age, repair centers all around the country are experiencing pressure with the tech world and our world colliding. We are all trailing nationwide franchises and dealerships that have endless resources working at their disposal. For most smaller auto repair businesses there isn’t enough time, money, or energy to attempt to constantly and actively secure the new business. We’re mostly worried about attempting to maintain the existing business we have, which has newer cars and increasing demands. Most of our time is now spent adjusting to the learning curve of advanced vehicle systems. However, that’s just a shop problem. The front office of your shop has its own issues to contend with that didn’t exist 15 years ago. Make no mistake about it, our industry is in the middle of a revolution and with 3D printing knocking at the door… the amount of balls to juggle are going to be considerable and it's all just getting started. Today’s auto repair businesses need to worry about the following: Location – Securing a proper location and the authorization to conduct business there over the long term ensures survival. Tools – Without the proper tools, we just can’t work on today’s vehicles. Training – Without the proper training, we put ourselves and our customers at high risk. Employee Engagement – Keeping your employees as interested in your success as you are is critical to the elements that keep people returning and employees from leaving. Employee Advancement – Providing an environment where employees know they can grow with your business, whether financially or moving up within the organization, is the key to keeping and securing talent. Marketing – This is the most complicated element in today’s world. It involves a mix of a strong web presence, good advertising ethics, social media profile, and following up with customers. Advertising – Can be expensive and very confusing. The best method to start is to get your feet wet with small budgets that keep your name in front of your potential customers, constantly. Software – Without good software, it is difficult to run any business. Good software is and always has been subjective. Our experiences indicate that good software saves you time and builds trust with your customers. Most importantly, it should work for you and not against you. This article originally published in CAR's News Section
      View full article

By CAR_AutoReports, in AutoShopOwner Articles

• 0 replies
    • Community Outreach

I just wanted to share a quick tip that I think is easily overlooked... invest in your community! And not just one. I have to say a lot of our success comes from the local community who have seen our name at the local booster clubs, fundraisers, sponsorships, etc. Don't count out your local chamber or commerce either. Host get-togethers/business functions at our shop, get a little league banner, run a "contest" if you will that will benefit the local food bank. Get involved! You will be better known around the community if you do. It has helped us grow so quickly these last couple of years. I rarely say no to a sponsorship and it has paid off in the end. Here is one of the last community sponsorships we did. We tied it into our local "best of" contest that we have in town: Best Auto Body Shop in Orangevale  

By autobodyguys, in Marketing, Advertising, & Promoting

• 1 reply
    • Auto shop owner new forum topics

Just got my e-mail on the latest forum topics. Out of 20 topics 7 are marketing ads from the same person. Also under popular forum topics of 5, 3 are ads also by same person of which no discussion took place. So how are these popular. I get a ton of advertising e-mail. Just didn't expect this from ASO. I do look into some ASO sponsor ads. But this is not necessary.

By slowtech, in Member Feedback

• 14 replies
    • Business management training

Have any of you attended classes or seminars put on by a company called ATI automotive training institute ? Was considering signing up for a 1 day class.

By Bob K, in Workflow Management

• 9 replies
    • A FEW QUESTIONS FOR 4 BAY SHOP BUSINESS OWNERS

How many of you have a four bay shop ? If you do how many techs do you have ? What is your average sales weekly , monthly ? What do you spend in advertising ? What was your sales in 2017 ? I am using this shop as a guide for those who would like to follow and see real time progress. For those interested just answer the questions so you and I can see what your strong points and if and where you may have areas for improvement.   

By Stevens Automotive Service, in Shop Management Coaching, Business Training, Consulting

• 2 replies
  • AutoShopOwner Sponsors

• Similar Tagged Content

• By mccannable
      I am planning a soft opening in mid to late January and have started looking for insurance quotes. I did not realize how difficult this may end up being. I have only spoken with two offices so far. The first could not cover a new venture(without previous experience) and the other wants all the info of all the employees up front before they can quote(we are hiring one mechanic and do not have that info yet). I understand cost will be higher fora new business but am having a hard time budgeting for this expense. I know there are many factors involved but if anyone that has started in the recent path could shed some light on this topic I would appreciate it. I did search here and did not find alot but online i found quite a few quotes for detail shops that seemed very reasonable(under 200/month). In my business plan I budgeted for $900 for Liability and Garage keepers.

any advice is always appreciated.