Quantcast

Toyota guidelines for wiring harness repair.

At the moment we are having a problem with a warranty concern that we were not allowed to take care of and the dealer did all of the work with out authorization from us and now we have a bill.

There are 3 wires that have burns to the shielding one with 3in that has been pulled back and the other 2 have about 1/2in burn on the insulation. what is the proper TOYOTA way to repair this or is replacement of the whole wiring harness necessary.

In my opinion splice in a new piece of matching wire, use correct wiring procedures (solder or crimp - not the little insulated connectors in my opinion, uninsulated with ideal terminal crimpers) and heat shrink with marine style heat shrink, reloom and tape.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Good point, the customer may have requested the whole harness be replaced, instead of being repaired (especially if they thought you would foot the bill). I know for a fact that Toyota sells connector ends, sometimes pig tails, and terminals. Regardless, more info is needed.

I am sharing all that I know, and at my end there is also a 2000 dollar bill.

They said that the block heater that we installed was "modified" and damaged the wiring harness. The customer has supplied us with the wiring harness and the block heater that the dealer "removed" from the vehicle. The block heater is not the one that we installed though its brand new.

My lawyer guy is saying just pay the claim and be over with it, but to me its more a matter of principle.

I am sharing all that I know, and at my end there is also a 2000 dollar bill. 

They said that the block heater that we installed was "modified" and damaged the wiring harness.  The customer has supplied us with the wiring harness and the block heater that the dealer "removed" from the vehicle.  The block heater is not the one that we installed though its brand new. 

My lawyer guy is saying just pay the claim and be over with it, but to me its more a matter of principle. 

From my experience with block heaters they are stand alone units that typically go in the water jacket (be it at a freeze plug or areas provided by the manufacturer) with the exception of aftermarket units such as a magnetic heater. In all cases I've seen the heater is 120v and is in no way tied to vehicle electronics and wouldn't have the opportunity to melt any of the vehicle harness. We have a pretty stern policy, if you want it repaired on our dime and hour within a reasonable distance it must be repaired by us.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Lots of new vehicles are using a dry type that slides in to a hole in the block. Even our lawyer right now is just saying pay it, the lost time and court costs would be greater then the 2000 dollar claim. But I do agree with everything that you all are saying. we are trying to get the customer to bring the vehicle in for an inspection to verify the burn is in the location of the block heater and that the block heater was replaced like we are being billed for.

9574476800_85672e4b2d_o.jpg