Quantcast

What do you charge for bolt holes you have to tap?

This is a situational question but applies to whenever this problem arises.

Customer brings vehicle in for recommended o2 sensor replacement. O2 sensors are seized and come out with the o2 sensor bung threads. o2 sensor bung is in a TIGHT spot. Had to order a special tap to get the job done. Car sat for 4 days until we figured out what we were going to do. Previous to this we were going to drop the exhaust manifold to repair. Thank god we got the tap! The extra actual time in getting the seized o2 sensor out was 20-30 minutes. Trial and error time with the tap sets we had was probably in the 30-60 minute range. New tap from snap on ran us about $50-60 with overnight shipping. To tap the hole after we got the correct tool took us 5-10 minutes.

Any idea what I should charge my customer extra? He is a good guy, good customer. Obviously not our fault the o2 sensor was seized, we have all been there. Just trying to figure what is fair.

I'd say,

"What would the dealer do?"

At least think like that. Do you think the dealer would be messing with a special tap for the customer? Would he just replace the manifold or weld a bung?

Take your average price percentage (for similar repairs) relative to dealer's and apply to this job.

Then, when he is picking up, make sure he knows you have charged him much less than you could and ask for yelp review :)

• Like 2