Quantcast

Sign in to follow this  
ncautoshop

Productivity

What type of productivity is seen in indy shops? I know we're small and with one person doing the book work, writing and repairing the cars I shouldn't expect much but I'm seeing claims from other folks to have 19 techs, each turning 10-15 hours each day. That's a little disheartening when some days we do 8-10 others 4 and some 2. What's should I look for as a goal?

Thanks for you're suggestions in advance.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Forum Topics

• By Joe Marconi
      With over 40 years in the auto repair industry, I can write a book on shop production, and I would title it: "The reason why production suffers, and ways to improve it"  But, perhaps the first step in getting production to where you want it is to promote team spirit. Yes, I know about training, workflow processes, making sales, the right tools, quality equipment, shop layout and correct labor billing.  All that counts too. But, none of that means anything if your techs and service advisors work in  an workplace with poor morale. 
      As a shop owner, recognize the performance of your employees. Set the right tone and encourage them to exceed their limitations, and also say thank you once in a while. Raise team spirit, and you will raise production.
      I know this is a wide-open field for discussion; so what are your thoughts. 

• By mmotley
      Curious how others are keeping track of technician productivity. Is it something built into your shop management software that you are able to run a report on? Do you have a simple equation you run at the end of the week or month? Are you having guys punch a time clock? Do you even track productivity? If you do, do you mind sharing what your productivity numbers are? And do the fluctuate much?
    • By Joe Marconi
      When a workplace suffers from poor morale, so does productivity. When a company enjoys high morale, productivity improves and profit follows. It all starts with the leader; the shop owner. You set the tone. Your attitude will dictate the direction of every employee.
      Too many work places suffer from poor morale. And it doesnt matter that you have the best tools, the best training, top techs and top service advisors. Without a healthy workplace environment, you will never reach your potential. You will also lose key employees. People do not want to work in an environment filled with stress and drama.

As a shop owner, set the right tone each day. Look for things to be thankful for. Dismiss negative thoughts and make it a point to thank the people around you. Is this easy? No. But if you want to succeed in this tough economic, competitive market, you have no choice.
    • By Joe Marconi
      Too often we focus on the things that go wrong, and not on the things that go right. Lets face it; everyday things will go wrong. Have you ever watch a professional ball team play an entire game without mistakes being made. A football game where there were no dropped balls?

It's more important to focus on the wins, not the losses. I am not suggesting we ignore the mistakes. But if we never recognize what goes right, and only on what goes wrong, we will end up creating a shop culture of negativity. And that will take its toll on production and lost income.

Recognize what goes right, understand that mistakes will happen. Use mistakes as a means to improve, not punish. Do this and watch production improve.
    • By Fit
      We have a lot of work that needs to be done but our employees just take their time on jobs and realllllly stretch it out instead of working faster and getting the job done so they can move onto the next one. They are payed hourly and I think that is part of the problem. We do custom work and our jobs are usually pretty random so I cant pay them by the job. Any suggestions?
  • AutoShopOwner Sponsors