Quantcast

Joe Marconi

Technician Pay: Too Low Or Just Right?

A recent stat from carMD states that car repair costs are up by 10%. The average auto repair job now costs $367.84. With this rise, some question; Has technician wages increased also? This is a very complicated issue and misleading if the details are not properly dissected.

The past few years have been a wild economic ride for businesses across the nation. And, not just the auto repair sector. In general, all businesses have seen their costs increase dramatically. For us, car parts cost more to purchase, insurance continues to escalate, workers compensation has gone up, utilities costs have gone up, on and on and on. All these factors add to a higher overall repair bills.

Now, what about technician pay? Is there a connection between higher repair bils to the consumer and technician pay? In the short answer; not really. We can debate this issue and compare auto technician pay to other industries, but the fact remains that technician pay is a part of the cost of doing business.

Tech pay can only go up, if there are enough profits generated. No company, no matter what the business is, can blinding raise payroll without understanding the true costs to running a business.

In other words, to pay a technician a certain rate or raise wages, the company must take into account the profit dollars produced. Until our industry collectively increases what we charge to the consumer, technician wages will reflect what we are able to pay.

Whats your take on this? Should tech wages be higher and how do you think we should achieve this?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• By tirengolf
      I have a couple young techs that have been with me for 4 to 6 years. I am in the Panhandle of Florida. I am looking for some training classes, other than the Snap-on, Napa pizza parties. I would like to get them away a few days for some knowledgeable with general info and basic training, I am just not aware of any in the Southeastern USA. Thanks Guys  
    • By mmotley
      Curious how others are keeping track of technician productivity. Is it something built into your shop management software that you are able to run a report on? Do you have a simple equation you run at the end of the week or month? Are you having guys punch a time clock? Do you even track productivity? If you do, do you mind sharing what your productivity numbers are? And do the fluctuate much?
    • By spencersauto
      Those shops doing courtesy inspections how much time are you paying your tech's to do the inspection? I've read on some forums anywhere from .30-.50. I am attaching a link to one of our courtesy inspections to give you an idea of what we check during our inspection process. Also, what do you pay the technicians for oil change & rotations each?
      http://2un.me/1ibws
    • By Bspencer4
      Does anybody know of any bilingual technician training programs or classes in the Phoenix area?
    • By TallmadgeTire
      I'm curious to hear about pay structures out there that are successful.  We pay all of our techs hourly, regardless of what is billed, and then offer a bonus program based on productivity each week.  Ie, they bill 60% of the time they were paid for, they get $xx additional dollars per hour, bill 70%, get $x, bill 80%, get $x etc etc.
      Anyone have any pay structures that are working well for them that they would want to share?  I've debated flat rate, but not sure how other non-billable tasks would get handled - ie unloading tire deliveries, cleaning up the shop, shuttling customers, etc.  
      Our current structure seems difficult for the techs to track, so I'm hoping to simplify as well as motivate them.  
  • AutoShopOwner Sponsors