Quantcast

Sign in to follow this  
phynny

Dealership Can't Replace An Engine?...

It's funny because I actually said this would start happening not even 2 weeks ago. So the service manager for a Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge dealership called me today to see if we could swap an engine in a 2006 Dodge Durango with a Hemi. He said he can't find engines and it's too hard for their mechanics... Now this is no small dealership so I'm guessing they can't find mechanics that want to work for peanuts. Of course we accepted so we'll be swapping the engine.

Just did one last week, got paid 19.7 Hours for long block R&I, plus 5 hours for diagnostic and failure confirmation tear down. Make sure you get a nice premium on your hourly rate, you must make a decent profit in order to prosper.

It is my observation that the dealers do not want to do this type of work because it takes their techs away from doing the most profitable type of work which is maintenance.

I do this type of work as a filler when maintenance business slows down, but even then I mark up my hourly rate to average out for any loss.

Edited by HarrytheCarGeek