Quantcast

Joe Marconi

Declining OE Dealerships; Good or Bad?

Declining OE Dealerships; Good or Bad?

There are numerous reasons for the decline in the number of the new car dealerships in the past few years particularly with GM, Ford and Chrysler. Reasons include; there were too many dealerships, intense competition from the foreign car market, today’s cars last longer, new car warranty is down, the great recession, on and on. But is this a good thing for the independent shop owners or not?

One of the predication a few years back from some was that the aftermarket will see a boom in sales, as the motoring public flocks to the independent to get their aging cars repair and serviced. Well, many of the independents are still waiting for that boom. Actually many shop owners along with business in general had a tough time the past few years. I am not going to make today’s column a preaching article, but will only say that opportunity is always there and will always be there, in spite of the economy, government, weather and anything else that life throws our way. But now we need to contend with what I call, “The thinning of the heard theory”.

Yes, the number of dealers has declined but the ones that have remained are stronger, just like in the wild, and realize a few things and we need to take notice. The new era of car dealerships understand what WE, the independents shop owners, have known for the past 100 years. And that is simply; establish a neighborhood based business that has its roots in the community, offer people on-on-one world class service and build a long lasting relationship with your customers.

The new era of dealerships, especially the big 3, has come to the realization that new car sales per dealership will not be like it was. New cars last longer, do not break down as often and the OE manufacturer has either removed from the car and the owner’s manual any hint of periodic maintenance.

The OE dealerships are coming after our business, that’s a fact. They have been for years, but now they have a viable plan and the backing of the manufacturer. Their goal is to still sell cars, but they also understand that if they keep the customer as a service customer, the chances of that customer buying another car from the dealership is greatly increased.

Let’s not bury our heads in the sand on this one. Let’s not fall into the trap that all the dealers offer horrible service and that no one really wants to go to the dealer, that old and foolish thinking. We need to recognize the fight that we are in.

What we have in our favor is one of the laws of marketing, and that is, “Always be first in your market”. This law is based on the concept that people remember whatever is first of perceived as first. For example, “who was the first U.S. President? Washington. “Who was the second? Not so easy to answer. It was John Adams. Being first in your market is a powerful position.

Because we, the community based independent shops, were first in our market as the number one choice of the motoring public we have the advantage, but do not take that advantage for granted. We need to work harder than ever to secure and anchor this position. Concentrate on your top customers, continue to build strong relationships and find ways to reach into the community and make every customer experience so enjoyable and memorable that your customers would not think of anywhere else to go for their automotive needs.

Are you ready for the challenge, I know I am!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• Article: Picture This - - Hard to believe I wrote this 20 years ago.

Picture This   Years ago my younger brother came to work for me. He didn’t know a thing about cars, but was willing to learn all he could. Teaching new techs is an art that most shop owners have to learn to do, but teaching your little brother can be a chore and can test your patience. I muddled thru it all and taught him what I could. I was sure at some point in time the two of us would butt heads like brothers will do, and he would take his new found skills and move up in the rank and files of the automotive technical world, but in the meantime it was his turn to learn from his older brother.   When he first started I would walk him through each step of how to diagnose a certain system in a car. A lot of times he would have questions, and I’d do my best to answer them. He learned quickly and was really sharp at picking up some of those little details that are harder to teach. You know things like how you held a certain wrench or used a certain tool, to you and me it’s no big deal. But to a novice, it’s a revelation, then you (I) tend to forget to mention those certain traits while you’re teaching. Mainly because you are trying to get to the solution as efficiently as possible, and you neglect to bring it up. Such as: “always test your test light connection before testing what you’re testing, or don’t forget to check for all your tools before you pull the car out of the shop….” Things like that.   One day we had a truck come in with dual fuel tanks on it. The gas gauge wasn’t working and needed some attention. This was a perfect opportunity for Junior to learn a few of my short cuts on these old models. It was an older Ford, in which the tank gauge ran thru the tank switchover button. It was rather easy to pull it out of the dash and connect to the gauge from the back of the switch. Luckily it was the typical problem I’ve seen a hundred times in the past. The switch connections would melt and the tank wouldn’t switch from the front tank to the rear, and of course the gauge wouldn’t move either.   After locating the correct leads to the gauge and to the tanks I decided to show him how the gauge worked. I hooked up the one of the tanks to the crossover lead that would supply the signal from the tank to the gauge.   “Ya see this, that’s the lead to the fuel gauge in the dash, and this is one of the tank wires. I’ll connect these together and we should get a reading on the dash,” I told him. He was watching intently, taking in all the wiring diagram information, the location of the wires, and how I was bypassing the switch. He was fascinated with the flow of the current and the way the gauge would respond. I even went as far as moving the gauge from full to empty by opening and closing it to a ground signal. While I had his attention I filled him in on the two types of gauges that were used back then (bimetallic and magnetic) and how low resistance on a bimetal type gauge would read near a full tank, while a magnetic gauge would read close to empty. Change the resistance and the gauge would/should read accordingly.   “So, if we put gas in the tank the gauge should move right? That way we could check the sending units in the tanks too,” he asked me.   “Great idea, grab a gas can and let’s add a few gallons,” I said, excited that he was so interested in the project.   He grabbed a can of gas and poured a few gallons in the tank. I was watching the gas guage carefully, but there was no movement. I knew I was on the right wires, but nothing was happening. Now what? Are there more problems?   “Crawl under there, and check to be sure the wire color is correct,” I yelled from the cab to him.   “Yep, it’s the right wire on the tank.”   “Well, we might have to pull the tank; it’s not changing the gauge readings up here.”   “Before we do that let’s add some more gas, maybe we didn’t add enough,” Junior tells me.   I thought I better go back and help hold the funnel, while he poured the gas in the tank. Unknowing to me, all this time my wife (who was the office manager) was listening in on the whole thing. She likes to keep tabs on me, and make sure I’m not going into one of my usual rants or having a fit because I had to explain something over and over again to little brother. This time she was standing at the corner of the shop just behind the truck with a camera. “CLICK”, I heard the camera shutter go off and she was back there laughing like there was no tomorrow.   “What’s so funny?” I asked her.   “You two idiots have been putting gas in the wrong tank. You’re on the front tank, and you’re putting gas in the rear tank,” my wife answers, laughing hysterically. About then the camera “clicked” again… this time it was an action shot taken at precisely the exact moment when these two idiots had that dumb struck look on their faces and realized what they just did. The shot had both of us on our knees, one holding a funnel and the other with the half empty gas can, and both of us staring right into the camera lens. Couldn’t have set it up any better if you tried. The picture clearly showed the side of the truck with both fuel tank doors visible and there was no doubt which tank we were putting in the extra gas. I guess it was one of those things I should have mentioned when we were checking the tank senders… make sure we are both on the same tank. For years that picture hung over her desk, and anytime I thought I was so smart she would point at the photo. Usually with that typical smirk, usually shaking her finger at me and of course the laugh… she had to laugh, but it wasn’t all that funny until she had me laughing about it too. Ok, Ok, I’m not perfect... and now my little brother knows it too.   These days he’s a top notch tech at a dealership, and I have to call him on occasions for some help on how to solve things once in a while. Oh the photo… uhmmm… what photo?? Somehow it’s missing… haven’t seen the darn thing in years. But I guess I really don’t need to see the photo … the wife has a pretty good memory... she reminds me just how smart I think I am every chance she gets.           Click here to view the article

By Gonzo, in AutoShopOwner Articles

• 5 replies
    • Introducing TextBox – Text-Enable your existing shop telephone number

(Warning and apologies for the long post) As you can see by my profile, I’m pretty new to AutoShopOwner.com but after browsing around quite a bit and communicating with @Alex and a couple of other leaders around here, I figured it would be worth the investment to become and Advertiser Member for the purpose of introducing our service and getting some feedback. It is not my intent to bombard with promotion but rather provide information about a capability that few realize is even possible. I’d like to start this introduction with a couple of statements. It is becoming increasingly difficult and frustrating to reach customers by phone since they often don’t answer the phone and often don’t check their voicemail. Most people text more than they talk these days. If you agree, I’d like to take this opportunity to introduce you to TextBox! TextBox was conceptualized back in 2012 from this video (See YourCarIsReady Video) Following are some of the capabilities we offer along with comparisons to other text messaging options we have encountered. Text Enable Your Existing Shop Telephone Number TextBox- Text-enables your existing shop telephone number. Your telephone number is part of your brand and part of your value. TextBox leverages the value of that number by opening up the text communications channel. People are probably already texting your number… they’re just not getting anywhere. Adding ‘Call or Text’ to your shop signage, website, Facebook page and any other marketing materials that include your telephone number will enhance those marketing efforts and provide more leads. Frequently, when you call somebody they text you back. Likewise, when you text somebody, they may call you back. Since TextBox uses your existing phone number. Both of those work! Others- Some use a shared 5 or 6 digit short codes. Some require you to introduce a completely new number that might not even be a local number. Some use email-to-text which requires you to find out what carrier the customer uses. If somebody calls the number you text them from, usually, the call goes nowhere. Not a very good customer experience. If you call a customer from your shop telephone number and they respond via text, the text goes nowhere. True Two-Way Texting TextBox- TextBox offers true two-way texting from the comfort of a full size keyboard and computer screen and keyboard anywhere you happen to be. You can name and tag contacts and review unlimited conversation history. Others- Many are one-way only. If a customer replies or initiates a text, the text fails and you never see it. Many don’t have an interface where you can review previous text messages in a conversational thread. With email-to-text, each message is a separate email message. It’s almost impossible to keep up with. Most Shop Management systems that have a text module are one-way only. Multiple Interfaces TextBox- The most used TextBox interface is through a small app that is installed on Windows computers and/or laptops. It automatically starts when the computer starts and pops up to alert you when new texts arrive. We also provide tablet and mobile apps that allow you to see and respond to TextBox messages wherever you happen to be. Others- Most require you to remember to open and log in to a web browser and remember to check the page to see if any texts have come in. Very few also have tablet or mobile interfaces. Cost TextBox- Most shops don’t need anything more than our $49/month small business plan. Larger shops with multiple service advisors with direct numbers can text-enable each additional number for only $29/month. There are no contracts or term commitments. We even offer a free trial and don’t even ask for billing information. Others- We have been surprised at some of the services that appear to do less but cost much more. Frequently Answered Questions: Will it mess up my phone service? NO. The voice and text networks are completely separate. Can multiple people use it? YES. And everything is automatically synchronized. How long does it take to get set up? Usually fully operational within a few hours. Are there any contracts or term commitments? NO. Service is month-to-month. For those who have taken the time to read all the way down this far, we’re making a special introductory offer hoping you will provide feedback here on the forum about your experience with the ease of getting started, the power and efficiency of TextBox and our outstanding customer service. The first 10 members here who PM me here or contact us directly and mention AutoShopOwner.com will receive: A completely no obligation trial from now to the end of March 2017. An automatic free month every year if they sign up for service after the trial. Of course, I’d be happy to answer any questions in this thread, via private message in this form, buy phone or… by text. John Fabrega
      Founder
      Line1 Communications & TextBox
      850.205.1111 (Call or Text)

By John Fabrega, in Marketing, Advertising, & Promoting

• 13 replies
    • 40 Years Of Manufacturing Experience For Sale

Become a stocking dealer for the leading provider of nitrogen tire inflation equipment and programs for auto dealers and repair shops. Territory is now available in Savannah-- an area that has previou View the full article

By AutoShopOwner, in Automotive Business Opportunities

• 0 replies

Become a stocking dealer for the leading provider of nitrogen tire inflation equipment and programs for auto dealers and repair shops. Territory is now available in Augusta-- an area that has previous View the full article

• 0 replies

Become a stocking dealer for the leading provider of nitrogen tire inflation equipment and programs for auto dealers and repair shops. Territory is now available in Fort Smith-- an area that has previ View the full article

• 0 replies
  • AutoShopOwner Sponsors