Quantcast
    • You can post now and register later. Already registered? sign in now to post with your account.
    • ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Once you submit your question, a new topic will be created for you in our forums. Our moderators may move your topic to a more suitable forum category if one exists. Members will see your topic and be able to respond to your question.

• This will not be shown to other users.
Joe Marconi

Declining OE Dealerships; Good or Bad?

Declining OE Dealerships; Good or Bad?

There are numerous reasons for the decline in the number of the new car dealerships in the past few years particularly with GM, Ford and Chrysler. Reasons include; there were too many dealerships, intense competition from the foreign car market, today’s cars last longer, new car warranty is down, the great recession, on and on. But is this a good thing for the independent shop owners or not?

One of the predication a few years back from some was that the aftermarket will see a boom in sales, as the motoring public flocks to the independent to get their aging cars repair and serviced. Well, many of the independents are still waiting for that boom. Actually many shop owners along with business in general had a tough time the past few years. I am not going to make today’s column a preaching article, but will only say that opportunity is always there and will always be there, in spite of the economy, government, weather and anything else that life throws our way. But now we need to contend with what I call, “The thinning of the heard theory”.

Yes, the number of dealers has declined but the ones that have remained are stronger, just like in the wild, and realize a few things and we need to take notice. The new era of car dealerships understand what WE, the independents shop owners, have known for the past 100 years. And that is simply; establish a neighborhood based business that has its roots in the community, offer people on-on-one world class service and build a long lasting relationship with your customers.

The new era of dealerships, especially the big 3, has come to the realization that new car sales per dealership will not be like it was. New cars last longer, do not break down as often and the OE manufacturer has either removed from the car and the owner’s manual any hint of periodic maintenance.

The OE dealerships are coming after our business, that’s a fact. They have been for years, but now they have a viable plan and the backing of the manufacturer. Their goal is to still sell cars, but they also understand that if they keep the customer as a service customer, the chances of that customer buying another car from the dealership is greatly increased.

Let’s not bury our heads in the sand on this one. Let’s not fall into the trap that all the dealers offer horrible service and that no one really wants to go to the dealer, that old and foolish thinking. We need to recognize the fight that we are in.

What we have in our favor is one of the laws of marketing, and that is, “Always be first in your market”. This law is based on the concept that people remember whatever is first of perceived as first. For example, “who was the first U.S. President? Washington. “Who was the second? Not so easy to answer. It was John Adams. Being first in your market is a powerful position.

Because we, the community based independent shops, were first in our market as the number one choice of the motoring public we have the advantage, but do not take that advantage for granted. We need to work harder than ever to secure and anchor this position. Concentrate on your top customers, continue to build strong relationships and find ways to reach into the community and make every customer experience so enjoyable and memorable that your customers would not think of anywhere else to go for their automotive needs.

Are you ready for the challenge, I know I am!

We allow visitors to read the first post of each topic. To read this post, please login or register for a membership. 

Edited by FROGFINDER
  • Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Topics

• By Joe Marconi
      NEWS BREAK: Workers at a Mavis Discount Tire shop falsified records to make it look as if they completed brake work on a limousine before it crashed and killed 20 in Schoharie, New York, last year, when in actuality the work was never performed, according to the shop's former manager.
      Below is a link to the article:
      https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2019/10/09/new-york-limo-crash-mavis-discount-tire-shop-falsified-brake-records/3920945002/
    • By Mark Johnson
      Shop owners did you hear? If you have been affected by COVID-19 you are eligible for a SBA disaster loan of up to $2M. This loan is from the Federal Government with interest an rate of 3.75% and up 30yrs payment term. It is not available in private financial institutions (banks).

ALL STATES CAN NOW APPLY!   
      So what information do you need?
      A LOT!
      ●    Most recent Federal income tax returns
      ●    Personal Financial Statement
      ●    Schedule of Liabilities listing all fixed debts
      ●    You Fill out All SBA Paperwork
      ●    Year-end profit-and-loss statement and balance sheet for that tax year
      ●    A current year-to-date profit-and-loss statement
      ●    Monthly sales figures for increases in the amount of economic injury.

And there may be even more!

We are currently helping shop owners navigate through the applications process.

For more info call us at 1954-324-0803 or book an appointment at https://calendly.com/markjohnsontaxplanner/45min

View full article
    • By JimO
      Last week a sales rep from a local Mercedes parts department stopped in to see me. He has been to my location several times in the past, always polite and professional. He handed me a paper with several topics highlighted such as extended parts dept. business hours during the week, Saturday hours, on-line ordering and mobile diagnostics. He provided additional information about each topic but the item that concerned me was mobile diagnostics. He explained that today’s vehicles are so complex that in many cases they require proprietary OEM equipment, information and training to efficiently repair them which they can provide, for a fee, at my location. He went on to tell me that they are equipping two vehicles, one vehicle for diagnostics and the other vehicle equipped with a compressor, tire machine and balancer. Whoa.... now he lost me, we need assistance replacing tires? Seems to me this mobile task force is NOT our friend but instead our foe, a wolf in sheep’s clothing. They are gearing up to provide mobile repairs in my area at my customers homes and work places, not good. I expressed my concern and he quickly informed me that everyone else that he had presented this concept to were very pleased to be able to receive assistance (for a fee) when needed and did not look at this as competition. This dealership is owned by Lithia, one of the top ten largest dealers in America. I doubt if we, the local independent repair community, could keep two mobile repair vehicles busy enough to warrant their existence. Fine, they are willing to “help” me (for a fee) with problem jobs at my location but I feel they are clearly after my customers. What are your thoughts? Are there any dealers in your area also offering this same service? 
    • By Joe Marconi
      Usually the winter drops off in sales, but along with car counts.  This year is different.  Customers seem consumed with debt and worried about thier finances, and putting off needed vehicle maintenance.  Not good.  In the long run this leads to breakdowns and larger repair bills. 
    • By JustTheBest
      USA Today article (Friday September 27, 2019 by Nathan Borney - USA Today) shows that “the average age of cars and light trucks on U.S. roads reached an all time high of 11.8 years in 2018.”

The article goes on to claim... “By 2023, there will be about 84 million vehicles on the road that are at least 16 years old, reflecting a 240% increase from 35 million in 2002, according to IHS.”

Are you getting your share?
      There’s only 90 days left in 2019 and the market is changing. Sorry, it HAS changed. Are you ready? Do you have your plans laid out for marketing your shop in 2020? 
      Auto Service Marketing - Fix Your Car Count FAST!
      Hope this helps!
      Matthew
      "The Car Count FIxer"
      P.S.: Join me on YouTube at Car Count Hackers! FREE Help to grow your Car Count, Income and Profit! 
      P.P.S.: Like and Follow Car Count Hackers on Facebook
      P.P.P.S.: Have you registered in my FREE Training? "How to Double Your Car Count in 89 Days"

• AutoShopOwner Sponsors

Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Fast Free Shipping on All Orders Over $50

Fast Free Shipping on All Orders Over $50