Quantcast

Valuable Sales Lesson from A Yankee’s Cap

Last Saturday, my wife and I had tickets to the 1:00 Yankee game. The weather was perfect. As usual I was running late and couldn’t find my Yankee’s cap. My wife said; “just buy another one at the stadium”. After seeing the prices at the stadium, paying for parking and the small mortgage needed to buy food, I decided that a cap was not at the top of my wish list.

The Yankee’s rallied back from 3 to zip, to win 4 to 3 against Baltimore. As we were walking out of the stadium I saw a few peddlers on the street selling Yankee caps for $10.00. I almost bought one, but I rarely buy from street peddlers and kept on walking. 30 feet from the first group of peddlers was another group selling the same hats for $5.00. I quickly reached for my wallet and bought a cap, along with a crowd of other people.

Now, think about it. These peddlers were selling the same caps and probably all worked together. But what they did was brilliant. They used a sales strategy known as, “frame of reference”. First, these guys knew what the hats cost at the stadium. Second, the first group offered the hats for $10.00. If they sold some at that point, great, but here’s how they maximize sales: By first positioning the price at $10.00 and then offering the caps at $5.00, they made the hats irresistible and a great value. It’s all a mind set. They actually sell more hats by using a frame of price reference, thereby creating a market.

The question now is: how can we use this strategy in our business?

As a New BannerBuzz.com Customer You Get 20% Off Your First Order! Use Code: FIRSTORDER for 20% Off Custom Banners, Decals, Marketing Materials, and Any Custom Print Needs! Offer Does Not End

As a New BannerBuzz.com Customer You Get 20% Off Your First Order! Use Code: FIRSTORDER for 20% Off Custom Banners, Decals, Marketing Materials, and Any Custom Print Needs! Offer Does Not End

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Topics

• By Eric Roberts
      Firstly let me say that I an just a regular guy from the UK who is the owner of a seven bay service centre/garage. I am not a financial expert. The dreaded inflation is upon us again. For the guys as old as me then this is nothing new. Back in the 70,s we had 15% inflation, but we all got by and lived for better trading days. Here in the UK we have always looked up to the USA because of your business prowess. So what do you guys look out as your worst enemy!
      When prices are going up then I find that the gap opens between rich and the poor's disposable income. So this question will effect garage owners in different areas. My garage is in a poor area with many immigrant families who drive cars. So this means we have to be more flexible with pricing. Finding out if your customer can afford that service ! For this reason we devised a three tier service pricing structure. This has also the effect of not loosing your profit margins. 
      The lowest price should include an oil and filter change and a general vehicle check over. This way we find the customer will perhaps be able to afford a service and your profit margins wont drop. This is just one small idea that we carry out! What do you guys do in these times of high inflation ? 
    • By Joe Marconi
      The word OSHA makes many shop owners cringe. 
      I was lucky enough years back to have my insurance agent suggest I perform a voluntary OSHA inspection. A private company did it at the time.   
      They found tons of violations; some we knew would be flagged, but most we did not. 
      Have you ever had an OSHA inspection? And what can shop owners do to protect themselves? 
    • By Joe Marconi
      According to Kelly Blue Book, new car prices hit an average of $48,000.  Will auto repair shops see a surge in business, as consumers choose to keep their old cars, rather than purchase a new car? 

• By Joe Marconi
      It's hard to believe that it's almost a year since COVID-19 hit.  And for many businesses, and repair shops, it's been a challenge.  While many areas around the country have not seen a downturn, there are other areas that have been harshly impacted.
      Areas such as mine have seen a decline in miles driven per customer of up to 50% or more.  Just consider working from home, the drastic decline of going out to dine and other activities, a decrease in after-school activities, a decease in youth sports, buying online and every other action that has become the norm, and it adds up to a negative impact for so many shops.
      NOW, you know ME.  I always put a positive spin on everything.  At this too shall pass. COVID-19 will be behind us and we need to prepare for great times ahead.  
      I urge everyone to focus on people: Your family, your employees, your customers, and the community.
      With regard to your customers, they will remember you and their experience long after the water pump or mass air filter you replaced in their car.  
      If you are having a decline in sales, here a few tips:  Establish your new goals, look at your expenses, reevaluate your breakeven, make sure your labor and part margins are in line.  BUT, never forget that your most important strategy is the culture of your business. 
      Lastly, cherish every minute with family.  This Crisis has brought Clarity. And let's never forget the things that money cannot buy. 

• Advertise your services or products to passers-by attracting them towards your business
    • By Transmission Repair

Premium Member Content 

This content is hidden to guests, one of the benefits of a paid membership. Please login or register to view this content.

• Our Sponsors

Flash Sale + Social Proof