Quantcast

How to make the phone ring?

Wondering what you all do to make the phone ring. We've been in a slump where the phone just does not ring. Do you have any tricks to jump start it again?

Dwayne

Go thru all you past invoices. Starting with the most recent. Find out all the unsold work and recommendations you made. Call these people and discuss the needed work. Make sure you do a multipoint on all vehicles and look for oppourtunity with each vehicle you service. All cars need future servce, make sure you map out at least the next two visits for each customer. Don't rely on post cards and emails only. Ask your customers to book the next appointment or would it be ok to call them to remind them. Become proactive not reactive with your approach. There is a lot of unsold work out there, I see it in my own shop. We are working VERY hard to inform customers of future work and services.

Start today, it works and it will build upon itself. People are hurting these days. They are not throwing the keys on counter and telling you, "Just do it all and call me later". You need to be more of advisor than an "order taker" at the service counter.

Hope this helps, keep in touch. Let us know...

Do you have a means to stay in touch with customers? CRM program? Very important to keep your name in front of customers to keep them coming back. Email, text messaging online reviews are all more pieces to the puzzle of a marketing plan that must be used with today's technology. It is also very important to have people at the counter that will have the right attitude with your customers. They must give them a reason to come back.

I do "have" the means of accomplishing some of these tasks, but i'm afraid i've been caught off cuard by the necessity to do them, and now find myself at a critical point. I'm working with another shop owner/motivator, great guy who is advocating the same thing exactly and had me working in that direction on a more religious basis. But something has happened in the last couple weeks where someone has just turned the switch off and freaked me out a little. But thanks for the reinforcement as to how critical it is now days to stay visible. Used to, our philosophy was, open the doors and they will come....not so much anymore.

I speak to a lot of shop owners around the country, and there are some areas that are being affected more than others. That "switch" being turned off is real. But, it is by no means death to business. Start today by concentrating on each and every customer. I agree with Gary, a procative approach is always better than a "wait and see if things turn around" approach.

We often forget how extensive and powerful our own data base is. Communicate, communicate, communicate. Look for oppourtinty with each customer visit. Continue to build relationships and concentrate on value, not price. People today are looking for value, and value does not mean low price.

One area of great potential is the fact the people hold on to their cars a lot longer. We need to be working with people and find ways to make their cars last a long time thru preventive maintennce services and promotions.

Again, we all need to be proactive. Waiting for the phone to ring is no longer a viable solution.

Thanks for the encouragement. Speaking for myself, I tend to get stuck in a my own world and my own daily routine...right wrong or otherwise, and having my blinders on to what might be so obvious to others. Seems so obvious NOW to work your customer base to get the phone ringing again. Had I been implementing some of the offensive strategies discussed, I may not be dealing with this now. We can't dwell on the past, but it sure can be a good teacher.

Edited by GENUINE