Quantcast

general heavy-duty 728x90

general heavy-duty 468x60

general heavy-duty 250x250

Follow Up On Unsold Work

Follow Up On Unsold Work

Marketing is all about creating a customer’s experience so positive and pleasurable that they will want to return to your shop again. If you can accomplish this, you will ensure a steady stream of cars into your bays. But, the strategy does not end with the experience.

Every car you service will need some sort of future work. It could be anything from a basic oil change to a brake job or a timing belt. The point being, if you are not informing your customer of the services or repairs that are due next, you are probably missing out on a lot of potential work.

We all know that money is tight these days and some of the repair bills can be expensive. Your customers may accept that they need the work you are recommending, but it just may not fit into their budget. Work with these customers, give them options. Inform them about the importance and benefits of the recommended work. Work out a time line for certain services and reassure them that you are looking out for their best interest.

For unsold work, book the future work; spread the work over a few weeks or months if needed. Make sure you call the customer to remind them. I see too many shop owners, enter the recommendations on the invoice, but that’s not enough. You need to take a more proactive approach. And, don’t worry about being too pushy. If it’s in the best interest of the customer, you owe it to your customers to take care of all their car care needs.

What about post card or email service reminders? They work great for state inspections, factory scheduled services and to remind customers who may be overdue for an oil change. But for important unsold work that needs more immediate attention; I have found that a phone call reminder works best. Try it, you will not be disappointed.

Start LLC for $0 at IncFile

This sounds like a great piece of advise! What is your current process on following up on unsold work? Do you have an individual (or yourself) go through your computer system to identify work by day and then look to see if a recommendation was made to call the customer? How do you keep track of this information? I would like to start something like this at my facility and was looking for some helpful hints on the process you are currently following.

I find that people have the best of intentions of doing future work, but like most things in life they just simply forget about it. I have a separate calendar and will put down the customer and quote and will usually hit them up again with a phone call. Sometimes I'll even just send a text. Now a days, a lot of people won't even check their voicemail (me being one of those people lol). Between family, work, life, and kids, remember that the mechanic told me I'll need brakes soon falls short in the memory/priority list. People are busy, so call call call.

It seems to work well with a follow up phone call just to remind them about what was needed. You can't make money if you aren't aggressive and calling and following up. I personally don't like the email approach as I tend to not really open/read letters from people that I don't regularly talk to. I believe that Mitchelle has a text option as well which would be nice.

Nice topic Joe, Thanks!

This sounds like a great piece of advise! What is your current process on following up on unsold work? Do you have an individual (or yourself) go through your computer system to identify work by day and then look to see if a recommendation was made to call the customer? How do you keep track of this information? I would like to start something like this at my facility and was looking for some helpful hints on the process you are currently following.

Each advisor must keep track of his follow up, they make a reminder in Mitchell and will hold aside in their personal file all unsold work that needs attention right away. They will plan out as budget and timeline for the work. They ask the customer for future dates to do the work and ask permission to call. For routine services they set up a post card or email reminder.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Topics

• By Joe Marconi
      We are almost into the 4th quarter of 2022, which means that you need to consider your 2022 tax return. Many shops are having a very good year, which means there may be more taxable income at your bottom line.
      What do you do to plan for and minimize paying taxes, while still maintaining a cash reserve? 

• By Joe Marconi
      As a former auto shop owner, one of the things that kept me up at night was not knowing enough about all the labor laws and human resource regulations.  
      How do you keep up with all the changes to the labor laws and human resource regulations in your state? 
    • By carmcapriotto
      As one of the top 10 industries in America, we need to advocate consumer choice in a competitive market, and if we don’t do what is pro-consumer and pro-aftermarket, the dealers will get all the business. I’m with Bill Hanvey, CEO of the AutoCare Association, Paul McCarthy, CEO of the Automotive Aftermarket Suppliers Association (AASA), and Ryan and Andrea Goff, shop owners that went to Washington to speak to their representative and to show support for the Right To Repair initiative.  Have you signed the petition? Go to RepairAct.com so easy to tell your congressperson you support the Right to Repair.  Stay tuned for an important episode that affects ALL OF US.
      Bill Hanvey, President and CEO of the Auto Care Association. Find Bill’s other episodes HERE. Paul McCarthy, AASA President. Find Paul’s other episodes HERE. Ryan and Andrea Goff, Rogers Tire Pros and Auto Care Key Talking Points
      Massachusetts helped set the tone two years ago, but it is embroiled in a fight between the OEs and the voters and a judge who has yet to make a ruling. There are recent discussions that 75% to 25% of voters approved overwhelmingly “The right to repair is alluring in its simplicity. In theory, it seems obvious that if you do buy something, you own it, and you should have the freedom to do what you want with it,” said U.S. Rep. Claudia Tenney (R-N.Y.), ranking member of the subcommittee. “The right to repair, if properly designed, can create a world of consumer choice, competitive pricing, and potential cost savings. “However, when this issue is examined in full depth, it becomes substantially less black and white,” she said. “Today, many machines are essentially sophisticated supercomputers… they perform seemingly miraculous feats thanks to delicate and complex electronic components integrated with highly specialized, proprietary software. Even with all the possible tools and resources at one’s disposal, attempting to sell, fix, or modify products with electronic components could lead to disastrous results, such as product failure or, even worse, serious injury to the consumer. In addition, these alterations can put the privacy and security of the user at risk.” To industry: Do not abandon your interest in this initiative. Access to data is critical for the survival of our industry. This is anti-consumer because there isn’t enough bays or technicians in the dealer network to service the repair and maintenance of our car park. It is also pro-consumer as it creates competition. What can we do? Right to repair needs to be on 20 and networking group agendas. We must speak to our legislators If you own a shop, you must make an appointment with your local congressperson's office and see your congressperson in person. Don’t be nervous to share with your customers- we are at the tip of the iceberg By 2020- 4% had advanced connectivity that allowed for remote diagnostics. By 2025 almost every new vehicle will have that advanced connectivity Right to Repair Info Graphic download https://bit.ly/3BOotBI Right to Repair Media Kit for Graphics and postcards. https://bit.ly/3eZOi8Z  
      Connect with the Podcast

Aftermarket Radio Network
      Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Check out today's partners: Shop-Ware: More Time. More Profit. Shop-Ware Shop Management getshopware.com       Delphi Technologies: Keeping current on the latest vehicle systems and how to repair them is a must for today’s technicians. DelphiAftermarket.com
      Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By carmcapriotto
      We are wrapping up our 3 part series with Bob Cooper and the Q&A discussion with a customer panel at the 2022 Elite Invitational. Chris Monroe joins us as we discuss websites, google ads and cause marketing. Don’t forget to download your complimentary Customer Care Guide and an Owners Job Description Guide by going to eliteworldwide.com/ARN or find the link in the show notes.  Bob Cooper, Founder/President Elite Worldwide. Complimentary Elite Customer Care Guide Template HERE. Listen to Bob’s other episodes HERE Chris Monroe, Monroe Tire & Service, Shelby, NC. Business Development Coach,  Elite Worldwide, Elite Top Shop 360. Listen to Chris' other episodes HERE   Key Talking Points
      Watch Full Episode on YouTube HERE Websites - What they look for on websites: years in business, pictures of shop/employees (nonstock photos), connection (dogs, kids etc), phone number and email address, reviews, attraction to family business What didn't they say? Price, list of services Google Ads - Their use of the paid Google ads found at the top of search results- they do not consider them as recommendations. Consumers want to do their own research Cause Marketing - powerful but not a top priority to sway decisions, encourage referrals, and find a cause you believe in to be involved with. Complimentary Elite Customer Care Guide Template HERE. Link to Part 1 Link to Part 2
      Connect with the Podcast: Aftermarket Radio Network Subscribe on YouTube Visit us on the Web Follow on Facebook Become an Insider Buy me a coffee Important Books Check out today's partner: Learn more about NAPA AutoCare and the benefits of being part of the NAPA family by visiting www.NAPAAutoCare.com

• Advertise your services or products to passers-by attracting them towards your business
    • By carmcapriotto
      Guest Host and Shop Tour with Todd Cole, TC Auto Service, Corpus Christi, TX. Four years ago Todd left his medical sales job and became the new owner of TC Auto Service.
      Todd Cole, TC Auto Service, Corpus Christi, TX.
      Key Talking Points
      Was in medical device sales but looking to make a change. His great grandfather, grandfather, and father were all in the automotive business Was a customer of the business and bought the business from the owner (who was 80 years old) Senior tech has been with the business for over 30 years- loves to teach and help others, maintains quality. He is a mentor for apprentices.  ‘Running out of concrete' as they started growing- purchased satellite location  7 lifts total Look at productivity by technician weekly- scoreboard with names listed, fun competition Drive through lanes with vehicles- 3 lanes  
      Connect with the Podcast:
      Aftermarket Radio Network

Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Check out today's partner:
      Dorman gives people greater freedom to fix vehicles by constantly developing new repair solutions that put owners and technicians first. Take the Dorman Virtual Tour at www.DormanProducts.com/Tour

• Our Sponsors

Flash Sale + Social Proof