Quantcast

Drain the Swamp and Count the Alligators - - - Ocassionaly the customer has more confidence in you than you might have in yourself.

Gonzo

Drain the Swamp and Count the Alligators

Occasionally the customer has more confidence in you than you do yourself.

The old farmer tells his hired hand, "Get down there and drain that swamp today."

The hired hand says, "Looks like there's a heap of alligators in there."

"Don't ya never mind about them gators, you just get that swamp drained!" the old farmer explains.

Some days I feel like the hired hand. I'll get a job in, and I already have the feeling there is going to be a whole heap of alligators between me and draining that swamp. This time around it's a 2004 Nissan 350z with a non-functioning convertible top. The top was up, but wouldn't move, other than unlatching the rear (5th bow) window section of the top.

Jim is an old customer who loves his little Z car, and was well aware of a few of the alligators lurking under that deck lid. How did he know? Easy, he already tried to get it repaired at a convertible top shop, but they weren't up to the task of taking on this alligator infested swamp.

Jim's only comment to me was, "I don't care how many problems you find, just get it working for me."

After gathering all the TSB's, wiring diagrams, procedures, and any other bits of info I ventured out into untested waters to see what I could find out. All the test procedures started out by checking pin-out voltages and resistances at the convertible top ECM, and guess where that is?… under the very same deck lid that isn't moving… hmm, imagine that. The trunk is the only option. You've got to crawl in there and find the cables to release the deck lid manually.

You could tell somebody else had already been working on it; the emergency cables were nowhere to be found. I looked like some sort of contortionist trying to get down into the small little opening at the bottom of the trunk with my bore scope. I had to wiggle it around in there, until I found the very thin wire cables that would release the latches. (They were pushed back under the lining of the storage area, which is not accessible from the trunk area) Ugh, I haven't even moved the top yet and I'm already swimming with the gators… what could be next?

Once I got the deck lid up I could then remove the interior trim and test the ECM to see what needed to be done. The output voltage for the 5th bow actuator motor was coming out of the ECM, so unless the wires are broken or disconnected the motor must have failed. Ok, now crawl out of the storage area and wrestle my way into the passenger compartment, then pull the trim piece on the back window up to expose the 5th bow motor. The motor brushes were shot. Lucky for Jim, I just happened to have some brushes that were a perfect fit. Might as well replace the brushes and see if it will work.

I gave it a try. With a flip of the control button the 5th bow swung up into perfect upright position, but the top wouldn't move. What now!?!? Back to the ECM and check the stop switches and motor voltages to the top. This time the alligator is in the ECM. Inside the ECM I found the circuit board lead to the top motors was burnt in two. Ok, fix the circuit board and try again. The top moved smoothly through its folding process. As the top closes the 5th bow actuator has to rotate in the opposite direction, so it will sit flush inside the convertible top storage compartment. As the bow moved to its next position the whole thing quit again. Oh come on… enough already… more alligators?!?! Yes, more alligators. Another trip back to the ECM, this time I found the stop switch for this position wasn't working. Somebody had bent the micro switches so far out of whack there was no way most of them were ever going to work. By now I've called Jim at least a dozen times to keep him informed of what I was up against… his only answer, "Keep draining the swamp" Ok, Ok, I got it… I'll put my waders on and crawl upside down and sideways to get this thing working… but…man these alligators… they're everywhere.

If you counted the different movements from completely up to fully down there are 12 separate electrical/mechanical operations the top has to go through, AND they all have to work in the correct sequence. One micro switch out of position and something else begins to move at the wrong time.

I thought I was done with my alligator counting by the time I had the last micro switch in place, but the first time I got the top to fold up and drop into the storage area, it would stop about an inch or so from completely going down. Seriously? More gators on the prowl? What did I miss this time? I went thru all the electrical and mechanical diagrams again… Nothing, every step was correct, but there had to be something missing. Then I found the answer on one page. One short reference to some elastic straps that connect the 2nd bow to the 3rd bow. These straps spring the 2nd bow towards the rear of the car to allow for clearance, so the canvas and all the linkage arms can drop that last inch or so into the storage compartment.

I did some more searching and found the part number 97150-CE01B "strap, elastic, convertible top". I called the dealer and gave them the number…

"Yea, it's a good number, but we've never sold any."

I'm shocked. From what I found out lots of these convertible tops had the same problem. I figured they would have changed hundreds of these. It looks like it's a common alligator in this part of the swamp; seems to me every top should probably have these replaced with the new part number, (know somebody with one?… give them that part number).

"Well, get me a set of them."

Once the parts came to the shop, installing them was a piece of cake compared to everything else I had to do. At least now I could see the bottom of this swamp. No more alligators, no more swamp to drain… I'm done. I found 20 different problems in the top mechanisms and electrical components. That's a total of 20 alligators that were lurking in this swamp. What a job!

It took a lot of effort to solve all the problems that I found. It didn't matter much to Jim how many things needed taken care of, the smile on his face as the 350z top worked like new made all that gator wrestling worthwhile. I almost gave up on it several times, but Jim insisted that I keep at it… I'm glad I did.

So the next time I take on one of these gator infested jobs, I know exactly what I'm going to do. Ignore the difficulties, and do just like the old farmer told his hired hand to do.

"Drain the swamp, and don't pay no mind to all those alligators".

Writing my column is the fun part of my week, repairing cars is what I do for a living. On occasions the repairs can be very overwhelming. Difficult, time consuming or just plain seem impossible. Thanks to customers like Jim who have total faith in your abilites those impossible tasks turn into possible.

View full article

Thanks Frank, one thing I didn't mention is the elastic strap part of the closure procedure was NOT on the Operation diagnostics. The entire top sequence is listed by steps in the "Fully closed to fully open" operation tests, but it never mentioned the straps AT ALL... that took even more tracing and searching just to find out what that was all about.

But, agian... thanks for your comments always appreciated. It's rather nice to write about customers that respect the tech enough to let them drain the swamp completely... regardless of the cost. (This was an expensive repair)

Great story! Tough job! You are the man!

I charged plenty for this job. It was a long long drawn out repair. Like ya said, this is my profession. I may not build your motor...but all that electrical stuff around the motor is what I'm known for.

Old Jim will be back, and I don't think I have to worry about him ever telling me I'm too expensive. He's one of those guys that knows what it takes to do this kind of work and isn't embarrased to pay for it.

Glad ya like the story... once in awhile I put together a pretty good one... I think this is one of those... "good ones"

Thanx for your comments Joe, always love to read them.

You know be by now Gonzo....and you don't have to tell me....but I hope you charged what you are worth. There are not many techs out there that do what you do, and don't be modest; I have been around the block more than a few times to know when someone knows their stuff. And you know your stuff.

Great story, great dedication to your craft.....no, I take that back.... Great dedication to your Profession!

I'll add one more thing to this story.

The dealership will only repair these tops with a full replacement. Their cost 11,000.00 dollars (According to what Jim told me)

Since I rebuilt the motors, reworked the ECM, and reshaped all the micro switches the only expense for the entire job in parts was... 14.25 ea for the elastic straps. (that's retail too)

Unbelievable how a few repairs can make the day while the preferred method at the dealer is just replace everything.

Crazy ain't it... ???

renaissance man? that's a bit much.... automotive tech... absolutely. Electrical expert ... well.. I guess so. Author ... well I can't deny that. Convention speaker... HA... like anybody is listening.... and a darn good golfer... well that depends. It depends on if the renaissance man can get the automotive tech to electrically solve the problem while the author writes about it and the convention speaker can keep his yap shut long enought to make the putt.

Let's have an ASO golf tournament sometime. I'll play.

Gonzo is a renaissance man. He is an business owner, automotive technican, automotive electric expert, author, convention speaker, and a darn good golfer. :D

• Have you checked out Joe's Latest Blog?

5 comments
      I recently spoke with a friend of mine who owns a large general repair shop in the Midwest. His father founded the business in 1975. He was telling me that although he’s busy, he’s also very frustrated. When I probed him more about his frustrations, he said that it’s hard to find qualified technicians. My friend employs four technicians and is looking to hire two more. I then asked him, “How long does a technician last working for you.” He looked puzzled and replied, “I never really thought about that, but I can tell that except for one tech, most technicians don’t last working for me longer than a few years.”
      Judging from personal experience as a shop owner and from what I know about the auto repair industry, I can tell you that other than a few exceptions, the turnover rate for technicians in our industry is too high. This makes me think, do we have a technician shortage or a retention problem? Have we done the best we can over the decades to provide great pay plans, benefits packages, great work environments, and the right culture to ensure that the techs we have stay with us?
      Finding and hiring qualified automotive technicians is not a new phenomenon. This problem has been around for as long as I can remember. While we do need to attract people to our industry and provide the necessary training and mentorship, we also need to focus on retention. Having a revolving door and needing to hire techs every few years or so costs your company money. Big money! And that revolving door may be a sign of an even bigger issue: poor leadership, and poor employee management skills.
      Here’s one more thing to consider, for the most part, technicians don’t leave one job to start a new career, they leave one shop as a technician to become a technician at another shop. The reasons why they leave can be debated, but there is one fact that we cannot deny, people don’t quit the company they work for, they usually leave because of the boss or manager they work for.
      Put yourselves in the shoes of your employees. Do you have a workplace that communicates, “We appreciate you and want you to stay!”
  • Similar Topics

• By Joe Marconi

Premium Member Content 

This content is hidden to guests, one of the benefits of a paid membership. Please login or register to view this content.

• By carmcapriotto
      The Weekly Blitz is brought to you by our friends over at Shop Marketing Pros. If you want to take your shop to the next level, you need great marketing. Shop Marketing Pros does top-tier marketing for top-tier shops.
      Click here to learn more about Top Tier Marketing by Shop Marketing Pros and schedule a demo:https://shopmarketingpros.com/chris/
      Check out their podcast here: https://autorepairmarketing.captivate.fm/
      If you would like to join their private Facebook group go here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/autorepairmarketingmastermind
      In this episode, Chris Cotton from Auto Fix Auto Shop Coaching explores the issue of transition leaks in auto repair shops. He explains how frequent task-switching hampers productivity and energy levels for shop owners, service advisors, and technicians. Chris advocates for batch processing to consolidate similar tasks, thereby reducing transition leaks and increasing efficiency. He advises reorganizing work schedules to minimize cognitive load and suggests that while flexibility is necessary, intentional planning can greatly enhance productivity. The episode wraps up with Chris encouraging listeners to embrace growth and efficiency, thanking the sponsor, and promoting a positive work ethic.

Transition Leaks (00:00:06) Explanation of the concept and its impact on auto repair shop owners, service advisors, and technicians.

Impact on Efficiency (00:02:27) Discussion on how transition leaks lead to lost efficiency and diminished capacity for delivering high-quality service.

Batch Processing Strategy (00:04:48) Explanation of the batch processing strategy to combat transition leaks and improve productivity.

Applying the Concept (00:07:03) Guidance on analyzing and reorganizing schedules to minimize transition leaks and increase efficiency.

Embracing Change (00:09:11) Encouragement to prioritize efficiency and quality by embracing a new way of organizing work schedules.

Connect with Chris:

[email protected]
      Phone: 940.400.1008
      www.autoshopcoaching.com
      Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/
      AutoFixAutoShopCoachingYoutube: https://bit.ly/3ClX0ae

#autofixautoshopcoaching #autofixbeautofixing #autoshopprofits #autoshopprofit #autoshopprofitsfirst #autoshopleadership #autoshopmanagement #autorepairshopcoaching #autorepairshopconsulting #autorepairshoptraining #autorepairshop #autorepair #serviceadvisor #serviceadvisorefficiency #autorepairshopmarketing #theweeklyblitz #autofix #shopmarketingpros
      Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By Joe Marconi

Premium Member Content 

This content is hidden to guests, one of the benefits of a paid membership. Please login or register to view this content.

• By carmcapriotto
      Research has shown that people will generally forget 90% of what they "learn" within 30 days unless it is reinforced. Recorded Live at Vision 2024, David Boyes, President of Today's Class, outlines the mobile app's features, including gamification and personalized training paths. AJ Nealey and Patrick Roberts share how they've implemented the platform in their businesses, highlighting its impact on engagement, adaptability to individual needs and its role in fostering a culture of continuous learning and growth. "It's microdosing of training. It's a set of daily questions on a daily basis. And what I love about it, it's the question after the question. "How confident are you in your answer?" It's low, medium, or high. You're understanding their confidence level." AJ Nealey Show Notes:
      Today's Class and its features (00:00:53) David Boyes explains the features and benefits of Today's Class, a training and competency platform. Gamification and personalized training paths (00:01:44) The gamification aspect and personalized training paths in Today's Class. Customized data delivery (00:04:09) The various data delivery options and customization for shop owners. Competitive usage of Today's Class (00:05:27) Patrick Roberts shares how the competitive usage of Today's Class benefits their team at Christian Brothers. Purposeful training paths and question priorities (00:07:35) RJ Neely and David Boies discuss purposeful training paths and question priorities in Today's Class. Influence of confidence levels on learning (00:11:27) David Boies explains the influence of confidence levels on learning and retention in Today's Class. Gamification (00:14:42) Engagement and retention strategies, rewards points, competitions, and customized training paths. Quarterly Bonus and Reporting Customization (00:15:44) Incentives for completing training, automatic points reset, and customized reporting for tracking progress. Color Game and Training Integration (00:16:24) Description and explanation of a gamified training activity, its purpose, and integration with daily training sessions. Content Development (00:19:26) In-house content creation, collaboration with subject matter experts, and the process of delivering accessible and measurable training. Personalized Training Paths and Community Engagement (00:20:44) Individualized training trajectories, community creation, and sharing of reference materials and information. Challenges of Implementing and Commitment to Training (00:22:18) Challenges in adopting the platform, the commitment required for successful implementation, and the platform's role in the culture of continuous learning. Onboarding Process and Long-Term Commitment (00:25:08) Onboarding process, 90-day launch cycle, and the importance of long-term commitment for successful utilization. Employee Engagement and Training Management (00:26:33) The role of employees as champions and ambassadors, open conversations, and employee feedback on training management. Implementing training expectations (00:27:29) The importance of setting clear training expectations and having open conversations with employees about obstacles. Gamification and participation rate (00:28:54) Gamifying training and the increase in participation rate. Employee engagement and personal growth (00:30:33) Patrick Roberts emphasizes the importance of addressing personal issues and attitude before training, focusing on personal growth. Custom features and individual shop needs (00:32:16) David Boyes explains the customization and individual shop needs in Today's Class. Enhancing connectivity and service advisor training (00:35:21) David Boies discusses plans to enhance connectivity and the introduction of service advisor training. Perpetual training and gratitude (00:37:10) The episode concludes with a discussion on perpetual training and gratitude for the guests.
      Thanks to our Partner, NAPA TRACS NAPA TRACS will move your shop into the SMS fast lane with onsite training and six days a week of support and local representation. Find NAPA TRACS on the Web at http://napatracs.com/ Connect with the Podcast -Follow on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RemarkableResultsRadioPodcast/ -Join Our Private Facebook Community: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1734687266778976 -Subscribe on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/carmcapriotto -Follow on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/carmcapriotto/ -Follow on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/remarkableresultsradiopodcast/ -Follow on Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/RResultsBiz -Join our Insider List: https://remarkableresults.biz/insider -All books mentioned on our podcasts: https://remarkableresults.biz/books -Our Classroom page for personal or team learning: https://remarkableresults.biz/classroom -Buy Me a Coffee: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/carm -The Aftermarket Radio Network: https://aftermarketradionetwork.com -Special episode collections: https://remarkableresults.biz/collections Thanks to our Partner, NAPA TRACS NAPA TRACS will move your shop into the SMS fast lane with onsite training and six days a week of support and local representation. Find NAPA TRACS on the Web at http://napatracs.com/ Connect with the Podcast -Follow on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RemarkableResultsRadioPodcast/ -Join Our Private Facebook Community: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1734687266778976 -Subscribe on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/carmcapriotto -Follow on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/carmcapriotto/ -Follow on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/remarkableresultsradiopodcast/ -Follow on Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/RResultsBiz -Join our Insider List: https://remarkableresults.biz/insider -All books mentioned on our podcasts: https://remarkableresults.biz/books -Our Classroom page for personal or team learning: https://remarkableresults.biz/classroom -Buy Me a Coffee: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/carm -The Aftermarket Radio Network: https://aftermarketradionetwork.com -Special episode collections: https://remarkableresults.biz/collections        
    • By carmcapriotto
      Recorded Live at the 2024 MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems) Training Event & Trade Show, shop owner Bill Snow discusses marketing strategies, the use of social media platforms, and the importance of authenticity in video marketing. Bill shares insights on audience preferences for lighthearted content and emphasizes professionalism and the value of every customer interaction in reflecting the business's dedication to service.
      Digital Marketing Class (00:01:41) Bill Snow discusses the upcoming digital marketing class at MACS and his approach as a shop owner teaching digital marketing. Importance of Google Reviews (00:03:11) Bill Snow highlights the increasing importance of Google reviews and the impact on search results for potential customers. Asking for Reviews and Follow-Up (00:03:49) Bill Snow explains the process of asking for reviews and the importance of follow-up calls to clients. Deferred Work and Client Follow-Up (00:04:34) Bill Snow discusses the practice of following up on deferred work and its impact on client relationships and future appointments. CRM and Marketing Campaigns (00:06:21) Bill Snow explains the use of CRM for deferred work notifications and the implementation of marketing campaigns based on weather and other factors. Hands-Free Scheduling and QR Codes (00:07:47) Bill Snow discusses the use of QR codes for hands-free scheduling and the integration with the shop management system. Elevating Professionalism in the Industry (00:10:32) Carm Capriotto and Bill Snow discuss the importance of elevating the professionalism of the industry and the impact of job titles on attracting talent. Neighborhood-Based Social Media Marketing (00:12:47) Bill Snow describes the shift towards more fun and neighborhood-based social media marketing for Rad Air's ten stores. Celebrating People and Life on Social Media (00:14:19) Bill Snow emphasizes the importance of showcasing the people side of the business and celebrating employees and clients on social media. The Neighborhood Professional Service Center (00:17:34) Carm shares the concept of the "Neighborhood Professional Service Center" and its importance in the industry. Social Media Strategy (00:18:14) Bill Snow discusses the role of different social media platforms, including Twitter, TikTok, Instagram, and YouTube, in their marketing strategy. YouTube Content and Racing Team (00:18:32) Bill Snow explains their YouTube content strategy, including shorts and in-depth videos, and how they showcase their racing team. Video Marketing and Authenticity (00:19:52) The importance of genuine and unedited videos in building connections with customers and clients is discussed. Consumer, Customer, and Client (00:19:58) Bill Snow explains the distinctions between consumers, customers, and clients, and how they impact marketing and relationships. Creating Engaging Content (00:21:23) Bill Snow shares insights into the type of content that resonates with their audience and the importance of hiring someone with a different perspective. Point of View (POV) Videos (00:22:27) The rising trend of point of view (POV) videos, particularly in the context of technicians showcasing tasks like oil changes, is discussed. Enhancing Customer Experience (00:26:18) Bill Snow describes their approach to creating a positive experience for new clients, including personalized welcome bags and additional services. Client Experience Manager (00:27:11) The role of a client experience manager in ensuring quality control and enhancing the overall customer experience is explained. Professionalism and Image Building (00:30:24) The importance of professionalism and creating a positive image for auto repair shops, as well as the role of digital marketing in their 2024 strategy, is highlighted.
      Thanks to our Partners, AAPEX and NAPA TRACS Set your sights on Las Vegas in 2024. Mark your calendar now … November 5th-7th, 2024. AAPEX - Now more than ever. And don’t miss the next free AAPEX webinar. Register now at http://AAPEXSHOW.COM/WEBINAR NAPA TRACS will move your shop into the SMS fast lane with onsite training and six days a week of support and local representation. Find NAPA TRACS on the Web at http://napatracs.com/ Connect with the Podcast: -Follow on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RemarkableResultsRadioPodcast/ -Join Our Private Facebook Community: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1734687266778976 -Subscribe on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/carmcapriotto -Follow on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/carmcapriotto/ -Follow on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/remarkableresultsradiopodcast/ -Follow on Twitter: https://twitter.com/RResultsBiz -Visit the Website: https://remarkableresults.biz/ -Join our Insider List: https://remarkableresults.biz/insider -All books mentioned on our podcasts: https://remarkableresults.biz/books -Our Classroom page for personal or team learning: https://remarkableresults.biz/classroom -Buy Me a Coffee: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/carm -The Aftermarket Radio Network: https://aftermarketradionetwork.com -Special episode collections: https://remarkableresults.biz/collections

• Our Sponsors