Quantcast

I have never believed in engine flushes especially for engines with high mileage. Lately we have several VW with sludged engines. Some of them are under a class action to be replaced by VW. The others we have sent to the dealer. This gripes me. So, I am looking into the situation. Our dealer here charges $500 for this service. The Jiffy Lube charges $89.99. There must be a difference in solution, filters etc. According to our Honda Tech and European tech where they worked before, they would pull the valve cover off 1st if possible to check condition before flushing on a car with less than 90K miles. On the case of De-Sludging that the car already has a problem, they would do it with no guarantee, that maybe it would take care of the customer's problem. I want the groups opinion.

I have never believed in engine flushes especially for engines with high mileage. Lately we have several VW with sludged engines. Some of them are under a class action to be replaced by VW. The others we have sent to the dealer. This gripes me. So, I am looking into the situation. Our dealer here charges $500 for this service. The Jiffy Lube charges $89.99. There must be a difference in solution, filters etc. According to our Honda Tech and European tech where they worked before, they would pull the valve cover off 1st if possible to check condition before flushing on a car with less than 90K miles. On the case of De-Sludging that the car already has a problem, they would do it with no guarantee, that maybe it would take care of the customer's problem. I want the groups opinion.

Also interested in selling "intake cleaning" as a maintenance service. Since vehicles have started running EGR's, I have seen intakes becoming constricted, drastically hurting engine performance. This is not in any service interval literature that I have seen, so it makes for a tougher sell.

Here is an article about the problems with the VW and product that was developed by VW request, it is what is being used at dealerships. The wholesale cost of the kit is about 85 bucks pluss the cost of filter and oil for 3 changes I think. Never guarantee anything, caution customer of some of downsides and on the work order put preforming at the customers request not you recommendation.

http://www.bgprod.com/blendr/stickyProblem.html

Here is an article about the problems with the VW and product that was developed by VW request, it is what is being used at dealerships. The wholesale cost of the kit is about 85 bucks pluss the cost of filter and oil for 3 changes I think. Never guarantee anything, caution customer of some of downsides and on the work order put preforming at the customers request not you recommendation.

http://www.bgprod.com/blendr/stickyProblem.html

Thanks for the BG website article. I wrote this a year ago. I thought I had answered it this year, but can't find it. Since Jan 2012, we are now desludging engines with success. We are using the BG kit and it seems to work very well. Sometimes we are almost too cautious. As far as the intake cleaning, we do a fuel injection cleaning for maintenance and for mileage. We do the intake when we do the fuel injection cleaning. Depending on the vehicle sometimes there is an additional charge for this.