Quantcast

Grammarly Writing Support

The #1 Writing Tool

Grammarly Writing Support

New Car Dealerships Continue to Push Prices Downward

We recently had a customer tell us that we were nearly $100 more expensive on a Timing Belt job (Volkswagen Bug) than the dealership. I called that dealer (as a regular customer) and asked for a price on the same vehicle, only find out we were, in fact, $89.00 higher.

Now, we all know the price game when people call on the phone, they usually give a bottom, starting price. Also, how complete was that price? And, what would have the price been after the car was inspected at the dealership is another story.

The fact is we see more and more lowering of prices in service as dealership, especially from Toyota, Honda, Ford, GM, Subaru, Hyundai, Nissan and Chrysler in our area. The goal is to increase car counts in the service bays. Smart dealerships understand the relationship from the service bay to selling future new cars.

As independent shop owners we need to be aware of this. I don’t want to enter a price war with the dealerships, but I don’t want my customer to perceive the wrong message either.

Any industry that enters a price war will have deep casualties among all.

Your thoughs?

Start LLC for $0 at IncFile

We recently had a customer tell us that we were nearly $100 more expensive on a Timing Belt job (Volkswagen Bug) than the dealership. I called that dealer (as a regular customer) and asked for a price on the same vehicle, only find out we were, in fact, $89.00 higher.

Now, we all know the price game when people call on the phone, they usually give a bottom, starting price. Also, how complete was that price? And, what would have the price been after the car was inspected at the dealership is another story.

The fact is we see more and more lowering of prices in service as dealership, especially from Toyota, Honda, Ford, GM, Subaru, Hyundai, Nissan and Chrysler in our area. The goal is to increase car counts in the service bays. Smart dealerships understand the relationship from the service bay to selling future new cars.

As independent shop owners we need to be aware of this. I dont want to enter a price war with the dealerships, but I dont want my customer to perceive the wrong message either.

Any industry that enters a price war will have deep casualties among all.

Your thoughs?

Joe,

I suspect that trend will continue as dealers fight to stay alive in the face of declining new car sales. As the baby boomers begin to retire in 2013 and beyond, I don't believe that dealers will be able to reverse the negitive trend. There will be some dealerships that will not survive, but they are bound to drag down service costs in their market area until they exit.

To counter the decrease in dealer prices, I believe we must keep an eye on costs, educate our customers and have great customer service--all of which we should be doing today. I think there is an opportunity to capture younger customers with the use of social media and by offering some 'hip' products, such as, low cost wheel and tire packages, dual exhaust systems, performance packages, etc.--These kids are the key to countering an aging population if you can make them your customers TODAY.

Okay...back to my coffee. Have a great weekend.

Edited by Milehigh

Yes i have seen more of that as of late. We are at war for our very lives more ways than one. Many people hear blah blah blah $89.00 too high, GOOD BYE.

That being said Focus on giving people a vehicle fixed right the first time, a washed car, a discount coupon for the next visit and ask everyone (including dealer employees) for referrals. B)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Topics

• By carmcapriotto
      How do your service advisors close their sales with a customer? Are they pre-scheduling for future maintenance appointments? Brett Beachler’s business has a 40% close rate for pre-scheduled maintenance appointments. He discusses how to make your current customers, your future customers.  Grab a pen and paper or head to the show notes on this episode. You don’t want to miss Brett’s closing presentation that can be implemented in your business.
      Brett Beachler, Beachler’s Vehicle Care & Repair, Peoria, IL. Listen to Brett’s previous episodes HERE
      Key Talking Points
      Customer close procedure/presentation Try to understand what the other person sees and not just what your shop wants Factory specified maintenance review on cars- review the history on Carfax, review what the car needs according to the factory maintenance specifications. The system will actually calculate a date when it thinks you'll be due. Ask what are your plans on the car?  Is the car paid for? Review with the customer what your technicians did. Solidify them saying “You guys are my guy.” Lay the groundwork for them to say “You know what? You just gave me all the right reasons to make an appointment 4, 5, 6, 7 months in advance” Send a text to them about a week ahead  What you don't want to do- run the actual credit card amount and then try to explain it to the customer the factory maintenance and review etc.. As soon as they run that transaction, they're done.  You must direct your advisors the best way they will get the highest batting average for pre-scheduling. Don't start with a closed transaction.  If you don't capture them at that closed sale then the next thing is the email and the text, if we don't catch 'em there, then they call up three weeks later and say, “Hey, I just wanna schedule an oil change. And we go, oh, whoa, whoa, whoa, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, you got all this factory maintenance dude. You wanna do it?”   
      Connect with the Podcast:
      Aftermarket Radio Network

Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Check out today's partners:

Set your sights on Las Vegas in 2022. Mark your calendar now … November 1-3, 2022, AAPEX - Now more than ever. And don’t miss the next free AAPEX webinar. Register now at AAPEXSHOW.COM/WEBINAR.

More Time. More Profit. Transform your shop at getshopware.com/carm

Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By carmcapriotto
      Motivation- based on relationship, culture, and attributes that empower them.  You must be profitable to have financial rewards Your business model needs to be sustainable, growable, and expandable based on labor- you need to be profitable in labor Performance-based pay: pure pay for what they produce, to hourly based with an incentive scale that gets them to $50 to $70 an hour. Interview- paid training, employment programs for career growth, ask about their dreams and their ‘why’ and plan their incentive pay You're not hiring a technician, you’re hiring for a career and lifestyle  Employees are looking for security and longevity  Bonuses: it’s the cherry on top, monthly/annual hours into training raises base hourly, ASE master raises base hourly, longevity bonuses for tenure, tool bonus based on hours or punctuality, consistency bonus: produced 50 hours or more for 2 to 5 weeks in a row earn up to another $5 an hour, leadership & personal development incentive: be a better version of themselves, Apprentice toolbox they get to keep after 5+ years, etc 74% labor GP on highest-paid tech- take 74%-100% = 26%, $40/.26= labor rate to be at 74% Modifying pay- what is the intent? Can it continue to change? Are there potential negatives by adding to the pay if something goes wrong in the pay plan? You can’t compromise and be a giver and taker.  Incentive plans don’t work if the employee doesn’t know how to track themselves. Teach your employees to watch themselves in the simplest way.  Give freedom- expand to quarter or every 6-month programs to take into account vacation, sick time, etc. Don’t make it a disincentive plan Critical sick time, health spending account, ‘pay the vacation,’ health benefits plan for families, team bonuses Your incentive plan should build your bench of technicians wanting to come work for you. One pay plan doesn't work for everyone. It also needs to be tied to your vision for the business.
      Connect with the Podcast Aftermarket Radio Network Subscribe on YouTube Visit us on the Web Follow on Facebook Become an Insider Buy me a coffee Important Books Check out today's partners: More Time. More Profit. Shop-Ware Shop Management getshopware.com
    • By Joe Marconi
      I will never forget the day when a customer, who didn't like the price, took cash out of his pocket, crumbled up the cash, and threw the money at me. 
      This customer clearly crossed the line, in my opinion. 
      Before I tell the rest of this "true" story, I would like to hear from you: How would you have handled this situation? 

• By carmcapriotto
      Daniel Griffith, Wally's Precision Auto Care, Las Vegas, NV
      Key Talking Points
      Finding, identifying, and connecting with the ideal customer and naming them (Jennifer and Clara)- what books are they reading? Who are they following on social media? What are their expectations?  Build out each phase of the customer experience process, and look at the highs and lows What parts of the process are easy and what parts are hard? Simplify that down as much as possible If something's not working, change it. It's that simple Hiring new employees- asked his current employees what they like about their job, then used their words on the job descriptions “Culture eats strategies for breakfast.” The average tenure of his current team is over 12 years  
      Connect with the Podcast:
      Aftermarket Radio Network

Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Check out today's partners:

Set your sights on Las Vegas in 2022. Mark your calendar now … November 1-3, 2022, AAPEX - Now more than ever. And don’t miss the next free AAPEX webinar. Register now at AAPEXSHOW.COM/WEBINAR.

More Time. More Profit. Transform your shop at getshopware.com/carm

• Heavy Duty Parts Fleetcross
    • By Joe Marconi
      Having been a shop owner for 41 years, I have lived through many economic swings, both good and bad.  I can tell you that increases in prices, from gas to food to new car prices, can prove to be a good thing for auto repair shops. 
      People tend to tighten their belts during tough economic times, but also understand that they need their cars in the best shape they can be to save on fuel and save on costly breakdowns. 
      How can you help your customers save on fuel costs and focus on preventive maintenance?  

• Our Sponsors

Flash Sale + Social Proof