Quantcast

Joe Marconi

Toyota Cleared of Unintended Acceleration?

Toyota Cleared of Unintended Acceleration???

Federal Highway Safety Officials on Tuesday of this past week absolved Toyota for problems pertaining to unintended acceleration with respect to its “electronics”. As Toyota cheers this finding, the news media now reports that according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration: Driver Error is the cause for most cases of unintended acceleration. That’s right, MOST cases. All that was cleared in this investigation, which NASA also participated in, was the electronics systems of the Toyota vehicles.

No conclusions were reached for the mechanical issues Toyota has with either the floor mat or the gas pedal. Many news stories failed to report other parts of the investigation. Here’s a quote from the Wall Street Journal, “In a few cases of prolonged uncontrolled acceleration, NHTSA said slipping floor mats that trapped the gas pedal were the likely the cause” Here is a direct quote from Mr. Ray Lahood, US Secretary of Transportation, “ The evidence points to mechanical and driver problems, not electronic”. And, the last quote for today from NASA’s lead engineer Michael Kirsch, “An electronics failure couldn’t be entirely ruled out”. For me, there are still a lot of unanswered questions.

Three main causes for unintended acceleration were found, Sticking gas pedal, floor mats that trapped the throttle and driver error.

I don’t know how you feel, but for me the jury is still out. I know firsthand that I had customers complaining of run-way Toyotas long before the problem hit the news papers. And, if this is driver error then why only Toyota vehicles? Wasn’t it Toyota who finally admitted to the problems?

Please, I want to hear from my fellow shop owners. What do you think?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• By hilltop car care
      Please I need your suggestion. Am currently working on a Toyota Avalon 2008. It was not starting so I did a diagnosis and got the error code P0335- Crankshaft Position Sensor 'A' Circuit Malfunction and P0102 - Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Low Input. I cleaned up the CKP sensor, same issue and I went ahead to replace it,replaced the air filter, I discovered the engine oil was very dirty and due for a change, I had to do that, the fuel filter was cleaned up. After all that the car came up, was fine for some time and went off again. I did another diagnosis and got P0393 - Camshaft Position Sensor 'B' Circuit High Bank 2. All this while the check engine light was still on. We noticed a cut on the cam shaft sensor and tried amending it. The car came up, was on for 15 minutes and went off again. Right now when you turn on the ignition all the dashboard lights comes up exclusive of the check engine light. What could be the likely cause?
    • By John Pearson
      At the moment we are having a problem with a warranty concern that we were not allowed to take care of and the dealer did all of the work with out authorization from us and now we have a bill.

There are 3 wires that have burns to the shielding one with 3in that has been pulled back and the other 2 have about 1/2in burn on the insulation. what is the proper TOYOTA way to repair this or is replacement of the whole wiring harness necessary.
    • By Joe Marconi
      Here’s a tip that might save you a lot of aggravation. One of my techs installed a new A/C evaporator in a 2003 Toyota Highlander. All went smooth until he pushed the A/C button on the dash when he got finished. The A/C button did not light up and there was a code for no communication between the A/C control module to the BCM and to the Dash Cluster.

Going thru the troubled charts and pin out charts led to a failed A/C Controller Amplifier. My manager was not ready to order the A/C amplifier, stating that everything was working prior. He felt that something had to go wrong in the reassembly process. He was right.

It turns out that there are two identical connectors, one for the vent control servo and one for the max air control servo. They are close to each other and interchanging them is an easy mistake. Switching the connectors was the fix.

Two things we learned: The tech needs a review on carefully marking all connectors and we need to be real careful when interpreting trouble flow charts.

• By Joe Marconi
      We had a 2007 Toyota Sequoia with a complaint of a growl from the front while driving. You would bet money that the noise was from the front differential. In fact, we ran it up in the air in 4 wheel drive and you could hear the noise from the front differential. Or, what sounded like the front.

We took it out of 4 wheel drive, and ran the real wheels only. The tech inside the car shouted out of the window, “The noise is still there”. After listening to the rear differential, we found that the noise was actually coming from the left rear. We pulled the bearing apart and it was filled with rust and scored.

The left rear bearing solved the problem, but we got initially fooled.

Just thought I would pass this info to everyone...
    • By Southards
      Heres the deal...... Only installed a new oil pump. Put it all back together, no troubles, now it's as if it has an anti-theft kill start is preventing getting this pile out of our shop. We have tried replacing the computer and a multitude of other things. Completely at a loss. HELP!
  • AutoShopOwner Sponsors