Quantcast

general heavy-duty 728x90

general heavy-duty 468x60

general heavy-duty 250x250

Smoke Machine?

I recently purchased a smoke machine for my shop and want to use it to it's full potential. Any Tips, tricks, and suggestions are welcome.

Does the smoke oil with dye come in handy? I have the redline machine. If so could I just add a few drops of fluorescent dye to the mineral oil?

Using it to increase profits, Redline suggests "smoking" every vehicle in order to find problems the customer may not be aware of. I am a hands on kinda guy and I like to show my customers their problems or failed parts first hand. I feel it gives them more of an assurance that "it really needs it". I'm sure showing a customer smoke rising out of a leaky intake gasket is far more convincing than "you need an intake gasket to fix your check engine light"

Again any hints tips or tricks and especially ideas to use this tool to make money are welcome.

As a New BannerBuzz.com Customer You Get 20% Off Your First Order! Use Code: FIRSTORDER for 20% Off Custom Banners, Decals, Marketing Materials, and Any Custom Print Needs! Offer Does Not End

As a New BannerBuzz.com Customer You Get 20% Off Your First Order! Use Code: FIRSTORDER for 20% Off Custom Banners, Decals, Marketing Materials, and Any Custom Print Needs! Offer Does Not End

We use our otc alot on evap leaks, exh leaks etc. We also use the nitrogen tank to add to the nitrgrogen tires that arent suppose to lose air. Ours has a nice roll around cart makes it easy for the tires and to work with.

• 5 months later...

Neatest thing I've found with my smoke machine: A/C leaks. Had a customer bring me a 1996 F-350 diesel, A/C wouldn't hold a charge for more than a day or two. We don't have an electronic A/C leak detector at my shop, so I took one of the cheapie 12 inch A/C charge hoses from the parts store, cut off the end that goes to the can, stick one end to the car and one end to my smoke machine hose, smoke pours out from behind the compressor clutch. I thought it was neat, but usually only works on rather large leaks. Just make sure that the A/C system is empty first.

I also find oil leaks by pressurizing the crankcase with it (usually through the crankcase breather hose). Most recent one I found with this was a porous valve cover.

Also, you can find those annoying wind leaks if you have a diffuser. Pressurize the passenger compartment by turning the blower motor on high bringing in fresh air. The diffuser will spread the smoke and you can move it over body seams (around door weatherstripping, etc) and where the wind leak is air will be blowing out of the passenger compartment which will blow the smoke.

Just a few neat tricks. By the way, we use the Vacutec EvapPro 2000E with the roll-around cart. Great machine, and comes with great accessories.

• 1 month later...

We use our otc alot on evap leaks, exh leaks etc. We also use the nitrogen tank to add to the nitrgrogen tires that arent suppose to lose air. Ours has a nice roll around cart makes it easy for the tires and to work with.

Wondering how long ago you purchased your machine and about how much $$. Looking into purchasing. Anyone reading this post that uses leak detector machines, please feel free to leave your advice, comments and opinions. All are welcome, thanks

• 5 weeks later...

Wondering how long ago you purchased your machine and about how much $$. Looking into purchasing. Anyone reading this post that uses leak detector machines, please feel free to leave your advice, comments and opinions. All are welcome, thanks

My advice is buy it you won't regret it!!

I guess I bought mine about January. I thought about it A LONG TIME before I bought it. I wish I had bought it sooner! (Redline Smoke Pro)

I bought mine from the Matco truck. He made me a "smokin" deal. At the time they were offering a package deal with a code reader that I had no use for so he knocked a little off the price. I paid $1000.

I have used it for all kinds of things you can really get creative with it. I joke that I even use it to find bad ball joints (doubt that's possible). It really does work for oil leaks, some cooling system leaks, plugged EGR passages, I have even verified EGR valves are sealing correctly. It really is necessary for most EVAP concerns.

It really turned seeing EVAP codes on the the scan tool from "****!" to "$$$$".

• 1 year later...

Neatest thing I've found with my smoke machine: A/C leaks. Had a customer bring me a 1996 F-350 diesel, A/C wouldn't hold a charge for more than a day or two. We don't have an electronic A/C leak detector at my shop, so I took one of the cheapie 12 inch A/C charge hoses from the parts store, cut off the end that goes to the can, stick one end to the car and one end to my smoke machine hose, smoke pours out from behind the compressor clutch. I thought it was neat, but usually only works on rather large leaks. Just make sure that the A/C system is empty first.

Great trick ... honestly cannot believe I did not think of this. This is much easier than dying the system and looking for leaks with those stupid UV alien glasses. Thanks for posting.