Quantcast

Shift Happens

Gonzo

Shift Happens

Jo was a new customer referred by an old-time regular. Her little KIA had a transmission problem that seemed to be getting the best of the transmission shop. The story goes that the SUV was constantly in limp mode, and would never shift properly… ever. As it always seems to be the case when a simple problem can't be solved simply, somebody started the diagnostics off in the wrong direction. Little did I know this was a simple problem…. But, as I see it, each and every type of diagnostic work that you do requires a certain step by step procedure that you must follow. Miss a step, or completely overlook a step, usually means you're going to miss that simple problem all together. This was no exception.

From what information I could gather the person who diagnosed it at the transmission shop wasn't the same person who installed it. So after the tech put the last bolt in the transmission, he set the car out front, and told the front office, "Got the transmission in that KIA." The front office considered it done, and the call went out for Jo to pick it up. She didn't make it around the block before she was back at the front counter in a "not-so" pleasant mood. You can just imagine the situation at the counter… not pleasant I'm sure. After some deliberation, and very little diagnostics the transmission shop came up with the conclusion that it must be a bad transmission. Luckily, Jo's ride that had brought her there was still in the parking lot, so she left the KIA for them to re-do the whole job again.

A week later, it was supposedly done. This time a different tech had installed the second transmission. Unfortunately, he made the same mistake as the first tech. When Jo came to pick up her car the shop owner took her for a ride to be sure that the repairs were made to her satisfaction. It was a short drive… This time, the owner said he was going to pay for the transmission, and would even purchase one from the dealership just to be sure it wasn't their mistake in rebuilding it. But even the dealer transmission failed to shift properly. The tranny shop was at a loss, they decided to make a few calls for some help, and that's when my phone rang.

Now, I'm not one to diagnose anything over the phone. I just don't think it's a smart way of taking care of such problems, because you never quite know what you're getting into. But the tranny shop owner sounded desperate, and now the repair costs were coming out of his pocket. From his frantic explanations of no codes, no shift, and no idea of the problem, he kind of put me on the spot … so … I suggested a computer. Heck, why not… ya' changed the tranny 3 times for Pete's sake, obviously that ain't' it. I probably shouldn't have done that, but I think he wanted to try and save as much money as possible without resorting to taking it to another shop.

Well, a new TCM didn't work either…. Now, the car is finally coming my way. Jo was a little unsure whether or not there was anyone out there who could find the problem, but her friend told her that it couldn't hurt to let me see what I could do for her. I'll give it a try.

When the car showed up at the shop I took it around the block once to verify the condition, and then put it up on the lift. While it was on the lift I decided to drop it into gear and check it against the scanner. To my surprise, it shifted perfectly. I'm not kidding… absolutely perfect. I dropped it back on the ground, and went for a ride again. I didn't even make it around the first corner… stuck in limp mode just as it was before, this dang thing can't pull itself out of a pot hole.

Back up on the lift, and wouldn't ya know it, shifts perfectly… AGAIN! What's the deal here? I did it several times, just so I could be sure of the results I was getting. After a few trips I checked the wiring to the transmission while it was on the ground. Oh, oh, the main ground to the TCM wasn't there. How in the world was it there when it was in the air? AH HA! It's moving the wire! Yes, it was moving the wire alright, and a few more than just the TCM ground lead. The locator page showed the TCM ground wire was bundled with several other ground leads that were all attached to the main chassis ground… which wasn't attached to a thing, but was dangling by the battery box.

Turns out the whole problem started when she had her battery changed at a department store repair shop, and they didn't have the right size to fit the car. They disconnected the chassis ground wire, so the taller battery would fit.

When I told Jo what I found, the two of us pieced together the how and why it happened. Her only comment was, "Well, shift happens".

All said and done with, the transmission shop paid for the entire repair, and gave her back what she spent with them. Everyone involved was glad to have the problem solved, and the car back on the road as good as new. I like this gal, she's become a regular at the shop these days. What a card! Always has some sarcastic comment for me, but at the same time a very understanding nature and takes life in stride. I'd love to have a couple of dozen customers just like her.

As she always tells me… "If you can't live on the bright side of life… start polishing the dull one."

Edited by Gonzo

Your probably right about the tranny shop... I don't know... I really don't know. After looking back on it... I really think it was one of those jobs that the diagnostics just got off on the wrong foot and no matter what they did ... they just couldn't get it back on track. The tranny shop is usually pretty good... However, after this job I never got another job from them. I credit that to either being more careful with their diagnostics or to save embarrasment... they found somebody else to check their stuff out... go figure...

Sometimes, being good, ain't so good... at least that's my thoughts on this one.

You know these stories, as my wife tells me... Are for everyone to read that's in the business... her way of putting it... is that there is more to fixing cars than turning some wrenches or pushing some buttons on a scanner... and my stories try to bring out the other side of the business...

glad ya like the stories... so far almost everything I send out gets picked up by one of the magazines... I've hardly had to rewrite or reject a story proofing them here really makes a difference.

You know, there's one thing in this business... you hardly ever "really" get a thank you, oh we do on occasions... but for the most part... it's not like each and everyone calls you back and tells you how good their car is working..(screw one up and watch how soon they show up). I just hope my stories let everyone know... we all do care.. and we all do apperciate it. And most of those customers really do too. because... "shift happens"

Thanx again for your comments Joe.... always appreciate them...

• Have you checked out Joe's Latest Blog?

4 comments
      I recently spoke with a friend of mine who owns a large general repair shop in the Midwest. His father founded the business in 1975. He was telling me that although he’s busy, he’s also very frustrated. When I probed him more about his frustrations, he said that it’s hard to find qualified technicians. My friend employs four technicians and is looking to hire two more. I then asked him, “How long does a technician last working for you.” He looked puzzled and replied, “I never really thought about that, but I can tell that except for one tech, most technicians don’t last working for me longer than a few years.”
      Judging from personal experience as a shop owner and from what I know about the auto repair industry, I can tell you that other than a few exceptions, the turnover rate for technicians in our industry is too high. This makes me think, do we have a technician shortage or a retention problem? Have we done the best we can over the decades to provide great pay plans, benefits packages, great work environments, and the right culture to ensure that the techs we have stay with us?
      Finding and hiring qualified automotive technicians is not a new phenomenon. This problem has been around for as long as I can remember. While we do need to attract people to our industry and provide the necessary training and mentorship, we also need to focus on retention. Having a revolving door and needing to hire techs every few years or so costs your company money. Big money! And that revolving door may be a sign of an even bigger issue: poor leadership, and poor employee management skills.
      Here’s one more thing to consider, for the most part, technicians don’t leave one job to start a new career, they leave one shop as a technician to become a technician at another shop. The reasons why they leave can be debated, but there is one fact that we cannot deny, people don’t quit the company they work for, they usually leave because of the boss or manager they work for.
      Put yourselves in the shoes of your employees. Do you have a workplace that communicates, “We appreciate you and want you to stay!”