Quantcast

Importance Of Identifying Your Shop and Staff

After hearing this story tonight, I figured I'd share.

My parents and sister came over to our house tonight for Easter dinner, and shared some photos and stuff from their trip to Key West, which they just returned from yesterday. They drove down the east coast from New York, and stopped in Orlando at my aunt's house, on the way. My aunt was getting over being sick this week and was having difficulty getting around, maybe not feeling well, etc...but had to pick her car up from the service station. Something about battery cables rotting away and the car dying on her earlier in the week.

My parents offered to pick it up for her, to make it easier on her, since she really wasn't in the best of health this week. She was very happy about this and said it was at the Mobil station around the corner...make a left, then a right, and it's right there.

To make a long story short, my parents hunted around every Mobil station for 5 miles in each direction...no one had her car. They came back and got the number from my aunt and decided to call (maybe they should have done that first). They got better directions and found out that the car was at "something" Automotive Repair. They pulled in to this shop parking lot, with no sign of Mobil anywhere...yet when they walked in, the mechanics had Mobil logos above their shirt pockets.

My mother asked the owner if they were a Mobil shop, and if so...where were the pumps. The owner said, "No, we just buy our oil from Mobil, and they give us these nice patches for our shirts."

From an older woman's perspective, the shop must have not been clearly identified and the one thing that stood out, was the Mobil logos on their shirts.

Start LLC for $0 at IncFile

After hearing this story tonight, I figured I'd share.

My parents and sister came over to our house tonight for Easter dinner, and shared some photos and stuff from their trip to Key West, which they just returned from yesterday. They drove down the east coast from New York, and stopped in Orlando at my aunt's house, on the way. My aunt was getting over being sick this week and was having difficulty getting around, maybe not feeling well, etc...but had to pick her car up from the service station. Something about battery cables rotting away and the car dying on her earlier in the week.

My parents offered to pick it up for her, to make it easier on her, since she really wasn't in the best of health this week. She was very happy about this and said it was at the Mobil station around the corner...make a left, then a right, and it's right there.

To make a long story short, my parents hunted around every Mobil station for 5 miles in each direction...no one had her car. They came back and got the number from my aunt and decided to call (maybe they should have done that first). They got better directions and found out that the car was at "something" Automotive Repair. They pulled in to this shop parking lot, with no sign of Mobil anywhere...yet when they walked in, the mechanics had Mobil logos above their shirt pockets.

My mother asked the owner if they were a Mobil shop, and if so...where were the pumps. The owner said, "No, we just buy our oil from Mobil, and they give us these nice patches for our shirts."

From an older woman's perspective, the shop must have not been clearly identified and the one thing that stood out, was the Mobil logos on their shirts.

You would think that in this day and age, a business owner would realize the importance of signage.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Topics

• By carmcapriotto
      As one of the top 10 industries in America, we need to advocate consumer choice in a competitive market, and if we don’t do what is pro-consumer and pro-aftermarket, the dealers will get all the business. I’m with Bill Hanvey, CEO of the AutoCare Association, Paul McCarthy, CEO of the Automotive Aftermarket Suppliers Association (AASA), and Ryan and Andrea Goff, shop owners that went to Washington to speak to their representative and to show support for the Right To Repair initiative.  Have you signed the petition? Go to RepairAct.com so easy to tell your congressperson you support the Right to Repair.  Stay tuned for an important episode that affects ALL OF US.
      Bill Hanvey, President and CEO of the Auto Care Association. Find Bill’s other episodes HERE. Paul McCarthy, AASA President. Find Paul’s other episodes HERE. Ryan and Andrea Goff, Rogers Tire Pros and Auto Care Key Talking Points
      Massachusetts helped set the tone two years ago, but it is embroiled in a fight between the OEs and the voters and a judge who has yet to make a ruling. There are recent discussions that 75% to 25% of voters approved overwhelmingly “The right to repair is alluring in its simplicity. In theory, it seems obvious that if you do buy something, you own it, and you should have the freedom to do what you want with it,” said U.S. Rep. Claudia Tenney (R-N.Y.), ranking member of the subcommittee. “The right to repair, if properly designed, can create a world of consumer choice, competitive pricing, and potential cost savings. “However, when this issue is examined in full depth, it becomes substantially less black and white,” she said. “Today, many machines are essentially sophisticated supercomputers… they perform seemingly miraculous feats thanks to delicate and complex electronic components integrated with highly specialized, proprietary software. Even with all the possible tools and resources at one’s disposal, attempting to sell, fix, or modify products with electronic components could lead to disastrous results, such as product failure or, even worse, serious injury to the consumer. In addition, these alterations can put the privacy and security of the user at risk.” To industry: Do not abandon your interest in this initiative. Access to data is critical for the survival of our industry. This is anti-consumer because there isn’t enough bays or technicians in the dealer network to service the repair and maintenance of our car park. It is also pro-consumer as it creates competition. What can we do? Right to repair needs to be on 20 and networking group agendas. We must speak to our legislators If you own a shop, you must make an appointment with your local congressperson's office and see your congressperson in person. Don’t be nervous to share with your customers- we are at the tip of the iceberg By 2020- 4% had advanced connectivity that allowed for remote diagnostics. By 2025 almost every new vehicle will have that advanced connectivity Right to Repair Info Graphic download https://bit.ly/3BOotBI Right to Repair Media Kit for Graphics and postcards. https://bit.ly/3eZOi8Z  
      Connect with the Podcast

Aftermarket Radio Network
      Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Check out today's partners: Shop-Ware: More Time. More Profit. Shop-Ware Shop Management getshopware.com       Delphi Technologies: Keeping current on the latest vehicle systems and how to repair them is a must for today’s technicians. DelphiAftermarket.com
      Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By carmcapriotto
      The gang’s all here; we have the entire Aftermarket Radio Network together for an important episode inspired by the movie Moneyball. We all have experience with people who are not our top performers, but are we better to have them on the team than not? You know them; they are consistent, reliable, steady, and contributors. Are they worth replacing? Will they become the best or top performers, or do they help strengthen our overall performance? A great discussion among your peers.
      Hunt Demarest, CPA, Paar Mellis and Associates, Business by the Numbers Podcast
      Matt Fanslow, Riverside Automotive, Red Wing, MN, Diagnosing the Aftermarket A to Z Podcast
      Kim and Brian Walker, Shop Marketing Pros, Auto Repair Marketing Podcast
      Chris Cotton, AutoFix Auto Shop Coaching, Chris Cotton Weekly Blitz Podcast
      Key Talking Points
      What REALLY contributes to production? Simpson Paradox Simon Sinec points out that Navy Seal teams value Trustworthiness far, far more than Performance.  VIDEO HERE  Tech productivity is one of the most important aspects of business, but how can these numbers skew what that employee is really doing (helping others, sharing duties outside of production, etc.) Are there some numbers or metrics that actually can look too good, which could cause an issue for growth or retention Numbers don’t lie, but sometimes can be misleading. Do your numbers match up with what you are trying to do with the business? You have to have your head up and eyes wide open to make sure you can identify the "doers" in your group.  Do you have a scorecard for success for your technicians? Pay plans; incentive greatness Who are your ‘support people' to contribute and make the whole picture better Culture is contagious Training when hiring- Weaknesses- be honest with eachother Fine balance- profitability aspect, you can’t have a shop full of unicorns Removing obstacles  
      Connect with the Podcast

Aftermarket Radio Network
      Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Check out today's partners: Shop-Ware: More Time. More Profit. Shop-Ware Shop Management getshopware.com       Delphi Technologies: Keeping current on the latest vehicle systems and how to repair them is a must for today’s technicians. DelphiAftermarket.com
      Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By Joe Marconi
      ADAS calibration is becoming an everyday service. Do you perform ADAS calibration in-house, or do you sublet it to another shop or a mobile company? And what challenges does ADAS bring to your business? 
    • By Mike DelaCruz
      A topic that I’ve become more and more interested in is the future of our industry, specifically when it comes to Technicians.  I returned from the Spring Leadership Days in Orlando by Auto Care Association with an entirely new outlook, continuously reminding myself:  What can I do to help strengthen our future?
      As I scroll through my Facebook feed, reading through various forums and private group comments, I constantly hear about the Technician shortage and have been over the past few years.
      Does that raise any concern that we’re still talking about this after several years?  
      As I read through the comments in hopes to find solutions, regrettably the majority of the comments are not solutions to the problem.  So, my hope is to find a solution and identify what action I can personally take to help strengthen our future and do my part.  I don’t want to spend anymore time talking about what we already know (tech shortage), and watch our industry reduce to rubble in the years ahead.  Not on my watch… and I know a lot of you are with me!  Days turn into weeks, weeks turn into months and months turn into years.  Let’s not wait!
      As I visit shops around the country, which is my favorite thing to do, I notice a common pattern in the workflow.  Nearly 70% of the shops that I have visited in the past year have empty bays.  For example, a shop in the Bay Area I visited recently had 8 bays, but 4 were empty.  They had 2 Technicians, who both told me they’re extremely busy and this has become the “norm” until they hire more Technicians.  
      Of course, the owners have “tried everything”, but what does that mean?  Have they really tried “everything”, or are they looking for a band-aid to fix the short-term problem and not thinking about a long-term solution and preparing for the future?  
      Shops are busy right now and business is booming for most.  So even though they have the Tech shortage issue on their minds, it’s less of a priority right now because they’re busy!  It reminds me of what one of my favorite industry coaches (and friend) told me one time about “Panic Marketing”. Business slows down, then we expect our marketing company to step up some SEO or Ads and get cars in today, when in reality you have to plan out your marketing 6-months or a year in advance.  
      So what do we do when we have empty bays and a Tech shortage?  Many will simply place an Ad on Indeed, cross their fingers and hope for immediate applicants! That quick-fix strategy will never work.  But what will?  
      There are shops out there with effective strategies that actually work well.  Look at what they’re doing and get some ideas.  Joe Marconi has some awesome tips on hiring great people.  Having worked directly with Joe, I’ve seen the success firsthand.
      But for me personally, I’m more interested in the long-term and getting the “younger generation” interested in our trade.  I think this will help shape our future.  But how do we do this?  Someone once told me, if every shop ran an Apprenticeship program, this would help solve the problem.  
      Is that the silver bullet?  If not, what is?  

• Advertise your services or products to passers-by attracting them towards your business
    • By Joe Marconi
      Yesterday, around mid-day, I headed out to run a number of errands. I first stopped for a quick lunch, then on to the hardware store, the beer distributor (for Father's Day BBQ), the grocery store, and then I went to Staples to pick up a few shipping cardboard boxes.
      EVERY place I went to had a sign out in front: NOW HIRING! 
      I don't get it, where are all the workers?  The unemployment rate is at 3.6%. Does that really reflect the number of people out of work, or is the number higher when we factor in those that don't want to enter the workforce or those that have left the workforce? 
      Something doesn't add up.

• Our Sponsors