Quantcast

Connect With Your Customers, Increase Sales

It’s important to connect with your customers. Take for example: When a customer informs you that she needs her car back by 4:00 because her son has a soccer game, make a note of that. Make sure you have that car ready on time when she picks up the car that afternoon, say something such as, “Tell your son good luck at the game”. She will remember that more than the service you performed.

Here's another tip. We use the customer remarks field in Mitchell Manager to make notes about the customer. If Tom Smith enjoys playing golf, we make a note of that. The next time Tom brings his car in for service, we ask, “How’s your golf game going”? It’s a nice way to connect with your customer and trust me, being personal will help you with sales.

Nice way to take the world, the community, and the customer and bring them into a that "small world" ... Makes for a better relationship with that customer. Me, I know I need to keep my back into my work in order to keep the doors open, but, I will stop and chew the fat with any customer that wants to take a moment to talk - about anything. (religion and politics I tend to stay as neutral as possible) The whole idea is to make that big world feel like that perverbial small town. I like the concept.

In addition, I use the same concept with all of my suppliers. They are as important to me as my customers are.

Nice work Joe. Thumbs up !

Thanks for your great input. I see you truly understand customer relations and how it has a positive affect on your business and the auto industry.

Your comment on your suppliers is right on track. You actually stole part of my thunder for my next tip.

Sorry about the thunder... it's that great minds think alike thing.... heck, it could be like a sail boat in a hurricane... haven't a clue where we are going but hang on.... it's going to be one hell of a ride. LOL

Gonz

Edited by Gonzo

Our atmosphere with many of our customers is very friendly almost like the old country store. Some of our regulars may come in and make a pot of coffee if we are busy.

Vendors are important too. We try to take care of our vendors. If any of our vendor employees salesmen, counter help, or delivery drivers come to us with a vehicle problem we try to take care of them. We will tell them what they need and to go get the parts and we will put them on at a reduced labor rate.

On Saturday's we feed our workforce and today it was Papa Johns. When a vendor woman driver delivered a part today while we were eating I invited her to have pizza with us. It is amazing what little jesters like that do. We even had one vendor employee, a single mom, who had to have a hysterectomy and missed six weeks of work. We contributed money and solicted money to help her while she was off work.

Hey, that sounds like a great Saturday. Nice to know there are a few "great" people in the business... It just goes to show... you don't have to have the lowest price, you don't have to have the best advertising, you don't need a million dollar inventory (couldn't hurt though)... but be yourself, treat them like you would want to be treated.

Of course I draw the line between actual customers and that "other" type of ... the ones that just come in for free advise and never spend a dime with me. I don't give them a thought. My "good" side only goes so far... but it is sure nice to be the good guy for a change. I'll be up next Saturday... what's on the lunch menu??? LOL

Gonzo, you would be welcome anytime. I usually don't work Saturdays but when I do I favor Papa Johns but my Service Manager who usually covers Saturdays like KFC but we feed a little bit of everything. The agreement is on Saturdays we don't take lunch but eat on the run, work a shorter day, and we provide lunch. Just call ahead and let me know your coming so we can have enough food. Do you like thin crust or original?

. LOL thin crust, original... that's already to many decision to make on a Saturday. My Saturdays are either working around the house or trying to decide on a 5 iron or a 6.... Thanx for the invite. Gonz