Quantcast

general heavy-duty 728x90

general heavy-duty 468x60

general heavy-duty 250x250

AMMCO's "Free Check Engine Light Test" on TV

Has anyone seen the TV commercial for AAMCO Transmission promoting they will test a check engine for free! Well, this is misleading and deceiving advertising. Click on the link below and find out the truth posted on their Web site!

This type of advertising damages an industry already filled with confusion and mistrust by the average consumer. Anyone….and I mean anyone can hook up a scanner and get trouble codes. That is not a diagnosis. Even though AAMCO states on its web site that it’s only a “Free Check” of stored codes and that more testing is needed, the majority of people will not go to the site and read the fine print.

THEY WILL, HOWEVER, QUESTION YOU THE NEXT TIME YOU TELL YOUR CUSTOMER THE TRUTH AND GIVE THEM A PRICE TO DIAGNOSIS A CHECK ENGINE LIGHT, AFTER HEARING “FREE” ON THE TV.

Here’s the link, let me know what you think. Are there any AAMCO dealers out there? I know we would all like to hear from you.

http://www.aamco.com/Check_Engine_light_on-FREE_Check.asp

general heavy-duty 728x90

general heavy-duty 468x60

general heavy-duty 250x250

You know this will only hurt most shops. They don't have the marketing program to bring in masses of people and then up sell other work. Nor, do they have a national ad that brings in thoudsands of people like AutoZone. AutoZone does not care if one or two people are not happy, there are plenty more. But for us, that could be damaging.

I send people at times to my local Advance auto parts to let them read the codes for me. Because I am by myself it helps to know what the code is before I even see the car. I know this doesn't always help in the diagnosing the code but its a good start to save me the time. :)

Consumer education is a start. My only concern is how to overcome ads like the Ammco commercial. People sometimes hear what they want to hear. Also, sometimes, their brother in-law who sells shoes has more credibility than we do.

You bring up a great point when you say your regular customer do not question you. The same with us.

What is comes down to is that we need to continue to build customer trust through honesty and integrity. Also, we must realize that we cannot be everything to everyone.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Topics

• By carmcapriotto
      The gang’s all here; we have the entire Aftermarket Radio Network together for an important episode inspired by the movie Moneyball. We all have experience with people who are not our top performers, but are we better to have them on the team than not? You know them; they are consistent, reliable, steady, and contributors. Are they worth replacing? Will they become the best or top performers, or do they help strengthen our overall performance? A great discussion among your peers.
      Hunt Demarest, CPA, Paar Mellis and Associates, Business by the Numbers Podcast
      Matt Fanslow, Riverside Automotive, Red Wing, MN, Diagnosing the Aftermarket A to Z Podcast
      Kim and Brian Walker, Shop Marketing Pros, Auto Repair Marketing Podcast
      Chris Cotton, AutoFix Auto Shop Coaching, Chris Cotton Weekly Blitz Podcast
      Key Talking Points
      What REALLY contributes to production? Simpson Paradox Simon Sinec points out that Navy Seal teams value Trustworthiness far, far more than Performance.  VIDEO HERE  Tech productivity is one of the most important aspects of business, but how can these numbers skew what that employee is really doing (helping others, sharing duties outside of production, etc.) Are there some numbers or metrics that actually can look too good, which could cause an issue for growth or retention Numbers don’t lie, but sometimes can be misleading. Do your numbers match up with what you are trying to do with the business? You have to have your head up and eyes wide open to make sure you can identify the "doers" in your group.  Do you have a scorecard for success for your technicians? Pay plans; incentive greatness Who are your ‘support people' to contribute and make the whole picture better Culture is contagious Training when hiring- Weaknesses- be honest with eachother Fine balance- profitability aspect, you can’t have a shop full of unicorns Removing obstacles  
      Connect with the Podcast

Aftermarket Radio Network
      Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Check out today's partners: Shop-Ware: More Time. More Profit. Shop-Ware Shop Management getshopware.com       Delphi Technologies: Keeping current on the latest vehicle systems and how to repair them is a must for today’s technicians. DelphiAftermarket.com
      Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By carmcapriotto
      It seems like the hot topic of late is customer service. Businesses are short-staffed… and everyone is asking for customers to be patient. But what happens when something goes wrong? How does that business handle that situation? How does the customer react? I'm joined by another network show host, Matt Fanslow. We discuss the hypocrisy that exists when a business owner is now the customer. Matt Fanslow, lead diagnostician and shop manager, Riverside Automotive, Red Wing, MN. Matt’s previous episodes HERE Matt Fanslow Podcast: Diagnosing the Aftermarket A to Z
      Key Talking Points
      As a business owner, can you put the shoe on the other foot when you are the customer? The efficiency of motion- moving with purpose Matt's daughter as a waitress- looking at every table as an opportunity to make money on tips Be transparent and observant Coming soon: Godfather Episode!  
      Connect with the Podcast:
      Aftermarket Radio Network

Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Check out today's partners:

Set your sights on Las Vegas in 2022. Mark your calendar now … November 1-3, 2022, AAPEX - Now more than ever. And don’t miss the next free AAPEX webinar. Register now at AAPEXSHOW.COM/WEBINAR.

More Time. More Profit. Transform your shop at getshopware.com/carm

Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By Joe Marconi
      The Summer is in full swing, a time when many people take vacations and also spend time engaging in their favorite hobbies and activities. 
      How do you spend your free time?  
    • By Joe Marconi
      When it comes to advertising, there is an endless list of strategies.  And, it appears, that everyone has a different strategy and opinion about what works and what doesn't.  
      So, the question is: What's Your Most Effective Form of Advertising? 
    • Advertise your services or products to passers-by attracting them towards your business
    • By Transmission Repair

Premium Member Content 

This content is hidden to guests, one of the benefits of a paid membership. Please login or register to view this content.

• Our Sponsors