Quantcast

Gas prices came down, what happened?

Alex

So gas prices are down, really down. Why have we not bounced back economically? Well, it's bigger than gas prices at this point. Bailouts, government interventions, and what else?

Where do you think this is all going and how will it affect your bussiness?

• 2 weeks later...

general heavy-duty 728x90

general heavy-duty 468x60

general heavy-duty 250x250

So gas prices are down, really down. Why have we not bounced back economically? Well, it's bigger than gas prices at this point. Bailouts, government interventions, and what else?

Where do you think this is all going and how will it affect your bussiness?

Many are predicting $1 a gallon by spring. However, I doubt that free gas would cause a significant increase in service business right now. The consumer has really been frightened and that fear is not about to subside anytime soon.

Yet, cheap gas means one less thing against shops for the time being and should help shops do a bit better overall in the short term. A huge dam of car repair is building...at some point it will leak, if not, break. As shops and dealer close, those remaining will be a better position.

Now is the time for all independent shops to position themselves as solvent companies in this economic downturn. Those who fight now will reap the benefits down the road. In my opinion, many shops are beginning to see positive signs that there is opportunity out there.

I urge all shops to continue there marketing and advertising. It will pay off.

Now is the time for all independent shops to position themselves as solvent companies in this economic downturn. Those who fight now will reap the benefits down the road. In my opinion, many shops are beginning to see positive signs that there is opportunity out there.

I urge all shops to continue there marketing and advertising. It will pay off.

During the elections, I believed that the candidate that could offer a clear solution to drive the fuel prices down, would get elected and bounce the economy back. Well...I guess they didn't figure on the mortgage collapse. Too many things happened at the right time, to make the fall of gas prices ineffective.

People holding on to their cars, fears of buying a new car, and economic factors...all make for a good scenario in the inidependent automotive industry.

Like Joe said...MARKETING! This is the best time to market your business to potential customers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Topics

• By Joe Marconi
      For the first time in a VERY LONG time, I see a lot of positive news with regard to labor rates.  More and more shop owners and managers are crunching their numbers and increasing their labor rates to better ensure their companies achieves a profit and also to be able to pay their employees what they deserve. 
      Profit is needed in order to build for the future and to be able to attract quality people. 
      I really think that this is perhaps the best time in our recent history to revisit your labor rates and bottom line and adjust your rates accordingly.  
      Have you adjusted your labor rates recently, or plan on it? 

• By Joe Marconi
      As a former auto shop owner, one of the things that kept me up at night was not knowing enough about all the labor laws and human resource regulations.  
      How do you keep up with all the changes to the labor laws and human resource regulations in your state? 
    • By Eric Roberts
      Firstly let me say that I an just a regular guy from the UK who is the owner of a seven bay service centre/garage. I am not a financial expert. The dreaded inflation is upon us again. For the guys as old as me then this is nothing new. Back in the 70,s we had 15% inflation, but we all got by and lived for better trading days. Here in the UK we have always looked up to the USA because of your business prowess. So what do you guys look out as your worst enemy!
      When prices are going up then I find that the gap opens between rich and the poor's disposable income. So this question will effect garage owners in different areas. My garage is in a poor area with many immigrant families who drive cars. So this means we have to be more flexible with pricing. Finding out if your customer can afford that service ! For this reason we devised a three tier service pricing structure. This has also the effect of not loosing your profit margins. 
      The lowest price should include an oil and filter change and a general vehicle check over. This way we find the customer will perhaps be able to afford a service and your profit margins wont drop. This is just one small idea that we carry out! What do you guys do in these times of high inflation ? 
    • By Joe Marconi
      Most communities have a variety of repair shops, dealerships, and franchise models.  Do you consider them the competition, or colleagues?
      Do you think it's worth it to get to know other auto businesses in your community?  To share and exchange business ideas and strategies?

• Advertise your services or products to passers-by attracting them towards your business
    • By Joe Marconi
      There seem to be mixed opinions on what Business System is the best. And also, not all business systems fit a particular repair shop model.
      There are a lot of new players in the past few years: Auto Leap, Protractor, Teckmetrics, Shop Boss, Shop Monkey, and more.
      Are you happy with your system?  What features are important to you? 

• Our Sponsors