Quantcast

[Podcast] RR 449: Maryann Croce – What Advice Would You Give a New Business Owner? Will this advice benefit the established business person?

Ask Maryann Croce! What advice would you give a new business owner? Will this advice benefit the established business person?

Would you like some advice on starting a business. What if you could apply this advice to your established business. With me is Maryann Croce from SmallBusinessvantge.com. She and her husband Tony also own Croce Transmission in  Norwalk, CT. 

As a business owner, she can chalk up many a mistake that has turned into wisdom. She has been there and done that and shares 5  key principles to help a startup business person get ahead of the game. She is speaking to resilience, commitment, getting help, being curious and giving.  Learn why messaging, relationships and financials are vital no matter what stage you are and your business is currently in. Don’t believe you need to go it alone.

Maryann was a banker turned business owner. Tony was a technician turned shop owner. She is also a member of Women in Auto Care and owns smallbizvantage.com

Her biggest mistake as a new business owner was thinking she had to do it all. This is one of the reasons why her signature talk “Gain Control by Letting Go” was created.

Maryann is also a member of Women in Auto Care and owns smallbizvantage.com. Hear Maryann in her previous episodes HERE.

Key Talking Points

• What advice would you give to a new business owner
    • Resilience to be tested
      • Easy to be the owner when everything is going smooth
      • Will have constant challenges- need to be thick skinned
      • Don’t lose empathy or kindness but don’t take things personally
    • Take a stand
      • Core values- know what they are and take a stand for yourself and others. Have to work for you, your team, your customers. Be an example every day 
    • Ask for help
      • Building relationships is key- vendors, suppliers, other business owners in industry and community
    • Have a curious mindset
      • Be open-minded to new ideas- willingness to grow and learn
      • Won’t get stuck in negative flow 
    • Share and give 
      • Locally, industry event, you always have something to offer
      • Help each other without an agenda 
  • What is a healthy business?
    • Profitable, sustainable and enjoyable  .
    • Your business is part of your life, not your entire life- don’t lose sight of yourself, friends and family 
  • How do you evolve to a business owner?
    • Messaging- voice and messaging is right for business
    • Relationships- how you nurture them
    • Know the financials of the business
  • Maryann’s Newsletter HERE

Talk soon,

Resources:

• Thanks to Maryann Croce for her contribution to the aftermarket’s premier podcast.
  • Link to the ‘BOOKS‘ page highlighting all books discussed in the podcast library HERE. Leaders are readers.
  • Link to Maryann’s Small Biz Vantage website HERE.
  • Leave me an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one of them.

Listen-To-Learn-TRANS.png

Newsletter-Subscribe-1200x75.png

Be socially involved and in touch with the show:
Facebook   Twitter   Linked In    Email    Events    Speaking

Subscribe to a mobile listening app HERE.

App-Rendering-16.png

NAPA AutoCare’s PROimage program makes it easy for you to make the most of the NAPA brand. A PROimage upgrade lets you maintain your shop’s identity as a reliable, locally-owned business while letting your customers and potential customers know you’re partnering with NAPA, the most recognized and trusted name in the automotive aftermarket. AutoCare Centers that have completed a PROimage exterior upgrade enjoy an average 23 percent sales increase during the first year. You can also choose to go PROimage on the interior and transform your NAPA-AutoCare-Logo-Vert-A.gifcustomer waiting area from merely utilitarian to warm and welcoming. You can even get a free look by visting www.NAPAAutoCare.com and clicking on the NAPA PROimage link under the NAPA PROimage tab. Of course, the AutoCare site is also the place to go to find out about all the advantages being part of the NAPA family has to offer.

Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Have you checked out Joe's Latest Blog?

0 comments
      I recently spoke with a friend of mine who owns a large general repair shop in the Midwest. His father founded the business in 1975. He was telling me that although he’s busy, he’s also very frustrated. When I probed him more about his frustrations, he said that it’s hard to find qualified technicians. My friend employs four technicians and is looking to hire two more. I then asked him, “How long does a technician last working for you.” He looked puzzled and replied, “I never really thought about that, but I can tell that except for one tech, most technicians don’t last working for me longer than a few years.”
      Judging from personal experience as a shop owner and from what I know about the auto repair industry, I can tell you that other than a few exceptions, the turnover rate for technicians in our industry is too high. This makes me think, do we have a technician shortage or a retention problem? Have we done the best we can over the decades to provide great pay plans, benefits packages, great work environments, and the right culture to ensure that the techs we have stay with us?
      Finding and hiring qualified automotive technicians is not a new phenomenon. This problem has been around for as long as I can remember. While we do need to attract people to our industry and provide the necessary training and mentorship, we also need to focus on retention. Having a revolving door and needing to hire techs every few years or so costs your company money. Big money! And that revolving door may be a sign of an even bigger issue: poor leadership, and poor employee management skills.
      Here’s one more thing to consider, for the most part, technicians don’t leave one job to start a new career, they leave one shop as a technician to become a technician at another shop. The reasons why they leave can be debated, but there is one fact that we cannot deny, people don’t quit the company they work for, they usually leave because of the boss or manager they work for.
      Put yourselves in the shoes of your employees. Do you have a workplace that communicates, “We appreciate you and want you to stay!”